Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guide to Kuat Drive Yards Tactical Flashpoint

Nmyownworld
02.05.2014 , 08:21 AM | #11
Dulfy, thank you for this guide, and all the work you do providing information. Your site has helped me immensely, from learning about Advanced Classes, to how-to's on missions (I completed the HK solo missions only because of your help!), to much more. Thank you. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

I did a Kuat Drive Yards Tactical Flashpoint for the first time. My level 53 Gunslinger was grouped with three other players levels 25 and lower. Two melee tanks, and a melee DPS. I had a good time. We fully wiped once, but there was no rage, and everyone maintained good humor.

My question is how does the bolster work?

I've wondered about how the bolster works in this case. If I join as a level 15, wouldn't I still only have access to level 15 abilities? Bolstered, but still only the abilities that are available for training through level 15?

Also, although there were two tanks, I would often pull the aggro, and get swarmed by mobs. Yes, the tanks played well, and did damage. Even with bolster, my GS would sometimes pull more aggro than the tanks. I was surprised that my DPS would pull that much aggro off of Tanks. At times, I felt like the muscle, because my GS seemed able to take more damage than my lower level group mates.

I thought the bolster would work where every player in the group was bolstered to the highest level in the group. In partial (or the one full) wipes, my GS was always the last one standing. Again, I think the tanks, and the melee DPS did a great job. It felt as though they just didn't have enough to not get defeated, even with the bolster.

Can someone explain how the bolster works in this Flashpoint?

eartharioch
02.05.2014 , 08:48 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Nmyownworld View Post
My question is how does the bolster work?

I've wondered about how the bolster works in this case. If I join as a level 15, wouldn't I still only have access to level 15 abilities? Bolstered, but still only the abilities that are available for training through level 15?

Can someone explain how the bolster works in this Flashpoint?
The first thing to remember about Bolster is that WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT BOLSTER. I can link you to some youtube footage of "How Bolster Works", but it's not pretty.

Seriously, your understanding is correct: your gear and stats are "normalized", which means your armor, HP, damage, and healing *values* are normalized, but Bolster doesn't give you higher-level abilities or more spec tree skills or armor set bonuses, etc.

This means that, for example, if you get a low enough level "tank", that char won't have all the usual tank abilities of a level 55 of that class. However, if Bolster works like BW alleges PVP Bolster works, assuming the "tank" is high enough level to have selected enough tank tree skills, Bolster *should* give that char more tanky stat boosts than DPS stat boosts, so that char would likely have more HP/mitigation (and thus be more tanky) than a same-level char of that class in full DPS spec.

I hope that helps.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

Nmyownworld
02.05.2014 , 09:15 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by eartharioch View Post
I hope that helps.
It does, indeed. Thank you.

Next time I do Kuat, I'll have a better idea of what to expect. Makes for a nice mental exercise. I can't just fall into my DPS rotation rut when I'm grouped with much lower level players. A good thing, I think. Sometimes, I do the same type of DPS rotation at a certain level so often, I feel like I'm doing it in my sleep. Heh. I need to stay on my toes in Kuat!

Iwipe
02.05.2014 , 06:43 PM | #14
I couldn't solo any of the bosses on my 78 geared sorc healer. I think mostly I wasn't pumping out enough DPS and micro-managing the DPS companion was a bit annoying. Maybe if I put enough effort into it I could but it just takes too long and not worth the trouble. Good flashpoint to duo though if you are well geared.