Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Unseen Presence- The Next Secret Boss?

DarthEndonae
02.03.2014 , 12:44 AM | #1
I don't know how much is known about this Unseen Presence. I have found it in the second phase of the Dread Master Calphayus fight in phase two and three in the past on the throne. This is in 16-man story mode Dread Palace. I have not had much time to observe it, however I have some theories and possible explanations for its placement. I haven't tried 16-man hard mode and can't remember if it's in 8-man. I personally have only been able to target it once. However, it seems to always be present regardless. I think you might have to tab-target through all of the focus crystals to get it. But haven't had enough time to test that. I've tried using the dreadful amulet on the area where it is located, but nothing happened. Since I was unable to target it, I'm not sure how the dreadful orb will react to it, if it does anything at all. I don't have the Crest of the Dread Master, however, I do have a theory. While that mask doesn't have any clicky abilities, I do believe that its description is a bit different and says that the mask feels ancient or something. If this is the case, and being that the presence exists in the past, the two could have something to do with each other and time in general; perhaps one needs the crest for it to work. Since it is on a throne, maybe you have to literally sit on the throne with the crest on. Then maybe you have to use the orb on yourself or the presence. As far as an explanation for its placement in 16 sm only (please say if it exists in other instances), it seems like a lot, if not all of the guilds capable of doing this at current gear level, would have completely skipped the SM conent and go straight for HM, so putting it in SM would make a great hiding spot. On top of that, it doesn't matter that it's SM since it would be far more challenging DPS wise than anything out at the moment, as Hateful Entity was.

So, does anyone have any insight or ideas about this? Has anyone else even noticed this?
Endonae - Sorcerer--Anserium - Assassin--Ticoria - Sage
Felzuun - Mercenary
Ardenia - Juggernaut --Merrus - Marauder
Nalisk - Sniper

Jerba
02.03.2014 , 10:43 AM | #2
There are many friendly NPCs during boss fights. You see, every time a boss teleports to a certain spot, or faces a certain direction, there needs to be a NPC at that position so that the game can tell the boss "Target that NPC and face in his direction".
Therefore, I don't think this has anything to do with a secret boss; the developers just forgot to make this NPC invisible to the players.

Here are some other examples of these NPCs that I specifically remember, but I'm sure there are lots more:
- Area: Soa in Eternity Vault, the position where Soa teleports to when you jump down the platforms
- Saturation Fire: Kephess in Denova, the area where he puts his AOE attack in
- Laser Focus: Golden Fury in Makeb, he casts his red laser at this fountain

VoW_LugNut
02.03.2014 , 12:11 PM | #3
That's possible, but seems a bit suspicious if this thing is called "unseen presence". The reason I say this is that in the area that dreadful entity is spawned, the message states there is a "chilling presence", the orb that powers up before hateful entity spawns is called the Hateful Presence. There could be a connection here. It would be great if someone could get a screenshot of this. We may have found our 3rd secret boss.

Edit: found an entry for it on torhead: http://www.torhead.com/npc/aWg3VCw/unseen-presence
Lugnut - PT Tank
Hatred - The Harbinger
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
16-man is also more forgiving to mistakes and should increase the chances of a successful group.

DarthEndonae
02.03.2014 , 12:18 PM | #4
And also, why have it only show up in such a specific spot? I don't know if it's the case for the other NPC's you referred to, but I do know that the Unseen Presence shows up on the map as a red dot, as an enemy (and all the other crystals). And the name of it is also so ominous, if they didn't want it to mean anything, why not chose a different name, like the Area for Soa?

I am curious if those are just datamined, as there isn't any specific information about it, like location.
Felzuun - Mercenary
Nalisk - Sniper

VoW_LugNut
02.03.2014 , 12:38 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthEndonae View Post

I am curious if those are just datamined, as there isn't any specific information about it, like location.
Yeah, it's datamined, but at least proof that what you are talking about actually exists so no one can accuse you of trolling.
Lugnut - PT Tank
Hatred - The Harbinger
16-man is also more forgiving to mistakes and should increase the chances of a successful group.

DarthEndonae
02.03.2014 , 12:54 PM | #6
Oh it exists for sure. Also, I just did a bit more digging. As it turns out, the Laser Focus in TC, not only is far easier to target, but it also does not show up on the map. Whereas the Unseen Presence DOES show up on the map as an enemy. As for targeting the unseen presence, you can't even target it if you click on the space where it would be on the map. I also just came up with an idea , while the maps of instances are topographical, it doesn't show where the enemies are in relation to the ground, so maybe sometimes it could be floating higher.
Felzuun - Mercenary
Nalisk - Sniper

TrillOG-
02.03.2014 , 03:36 PM | #7
This has about as much credibility as the picture posted a while back on the "S&V Secret Boss" with Grimtooth and a hypergate.

DarthEndonae
02.03.2014 , 04:20 PM | #8
I'm locked for the week, but I will have a screenshot for you tomorrow.
Felzuun - Mercenary
Nalisk - Sniper

VoW_LugNut
02.03.2014 , 04:21 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TrillOG- View Post
This has about as much credibility as the picture posted a while back on the "S&V Secret Boss" with Grimtooth and a hypergate.
and your post has the same amount of relevance. This is a speculation thread, not an announcement.
Lugnut - PT Tank
Hatred - The Harbinger

ML_DoubleTap
02.03.2014 , 04:27 PM | #10
I noticed the Unseen Presence for the first time in a 16m SM a couple nights ago. I was wondering what it could be as well. I saw its nameplate basically right on top of the throne.
<Proper Villians> Rhees Bonkurz

<Army of Light> Tann'se Siir Atone Askar Grills