Phoenix, AZ Cantina Tour Info

Essence_of_Light

Info from the Cantina Tour provided by attendees of the event.

"At the Cantina they said that a new story arc would begin with the 2.7 update, and would reach an "EPIC" conclusion by the end of the year. An official blog post about the new arc may be out within the next week.

They also said that raising the Legacy level cap and adding corresponding perks was "on the roadmap" but did not say more than that. One BW person said a Legacy vault -- i.e. a place to keep all your alts' mats and trade-able items -- would require too much coding.

With regard to new classes or new companion storylines, they said the resources required to do that are huge, and they would rather use those resources to provide new content -- planetary storylines -- that all toons could play.

They were asked what the most-played content was, and replied "we are not allowed to reveal any metrics."

Also, they said nearly every SWTOR employee plays the game on the live servers incognito. They are not allowed to reveal they are BW employees. Someone in YOUR guild might be a BW employee, they said."

~Comment posted by jagermensch on Dulfy.net.

So what do you all think of all of this (assuming its true)? As for me, Im very disappointed that we won't be getting any companion stories in the foreseeable future. :( But, in the paragraph it said nothing about not continueing Class Stories so there may still be some sliver of hope there. :)

EDIT: New info from a Redditer

"I was at the event last night and there were a couple of answers that seemed like more than SOON tm. First was that the next tier of pvp armor will come after season one is over. That was reasonably specific.

Second, I asked about player housing, and while the verbal answer was of the "that’s a good idea" variety, judging by his not-so-wry smile and general body language, I’d say it’s almost a certainty they are working on player housing. In my question I made a note of how ripe for CM player housing content was, and the smiling/nodding only got bigger. Based on this, I would be completely stunned if we don’t see player housing in 2014."

~Comment made by Stevebelt on Reddit.

Edited by Essence_of_Light

"At the Cantina they said that a new story arc would begin with the 2.7 update, and would reach an "EPIC" conclusion by the end of the year. An official blog post about the new arc may be out within the next week.

Yup, nice... but what? Planets? Ops? FP? Daily zones? Again this add nothign. Sigh.

They also said that raising the Legacy level cap and adding corresponding perks was "on the roadmap" but did not say more than that. One BW person said a Legacy vault -- i.e. a place to keep all your alts' mats and trade-able items -- would require too much coding.

Nice they add legacy level... but again for what? I don't see so much character or legacy perks that can be valuable. Just an eventualy double/triple spec... I hope.

No sharing between alt for mats/credit/etc... BAD BAD BAD. All the game now have them, but we require too much codig = the engine sucks. -.-"

With regard to new classes or new companion storylines, they said the resources required to do that are huge, and they would rather use those resources to provide new content -- planetary storylines -- that all toons could play.

Ok, nice I agree. But planet without level cap (I'm fine with it)? So playable for what?

They were asked what the most-played content was, and replied "we are not allowed to reveal any metrics."

Marketing guys... again... BAD. WoW just release the infografic for all and we get nothing. I was loving some info on the most played character, class end so on when the game was early out. Now nothing. Why hide? What you have of so important to hide?

Also, they said nearly every SWTOR employee plays the game on the live servers incognito. They are not allowed to reveal they are BW employees. Someone in YOUR guild might be a BW employee, they said."

Like every game, not interested.

Some of this is very disheartening... I was really looking forward to some kind of new class to change up the gameplay a little bit such as a pet class (weak pets, normal companion) with a large expansion. Which I would also argue IS new, fresh content...

Ah well, heres hoping that the combined character stories are decent. Im enjoying Oricon, so perhaps it will be fine.

A new pvp set will be nice to have, I personally cant stand the look of the current ones.

Good info, glad to hear it.

Looking forward to hearing more about 2.7 and the next story arc

/Agree.

They way they teased 2.7 at the Cantina Event, it sounds like it may be a bit different then what we have seen in the past (where they dropped a story arc in one bundle with an expac) This sounds more like they are going to release it over a period of time in waves of some sort.. building up to a climax later in the year.

No sharing between alt for mats/credit/etc... BAD BAD BAD. All the game now have them, but we require too much codig = the engine sucks. -.-"

That has nothing to do with the engine. That has to do with the fact that they did not properly program things to extend this type of functionality. Sucky planning, not sucky engine.

Too much coding seems to be their excuse for everything. I guess they have nothing but interns for engineers. Also lol at the resources comment. Because a game that netted 100+million dollars can't afford to be creative with its resources or add more substantial content like new races/classes.

Too much coding seems to be their excuse for everything. I guess they have nothing but interns for engineers. Also lol at the resources comment. Because a game that netted 100+million dollars can't afford to be creative with its resources or add more substantial content like new races/classes.

That's the EA vice-clamp coming down.... this game made like 200m last year subs and CM together but I'd be willing to bet every hot meal left in my life that EA has some kind of Metric like.... "For every dollar generated you guys (Bioware) get like .02c to reinvest back into the game.... I mean come on people if your a game company your going to be trying with everything you have to give your paying customer base what they want, u listen to criticism, polls, rants and whatever to come up with the picture.. Unless Bioware can hook the updates somehow, someway to the CM we're not going to see it, no matter how called for it is.

too much coding seems to be their excuse for everything. I guess they have nothing but interns for engineers. Also lol at the resources comment. Because a game that netted 100+million dollars can't afford to be creative with its resources or add more substantial content like new races/classes.

qfmft.

Much assumption, coupled with much hyperbole IMO. Also, much negativity as well.

Case in point: nowhere in EA financials (ANYWHERE) do they disclose "net" revenue. Yet you toss around a netted 100M+ statement as though you were the CFO of EA. :)

Personally, I wish they DID breakout net revenue for each product. That way I could figure out exactly what their operations expense is.. which I could then process through labor rate conversions and determine how many people are actually staffed to SWTOR. Of course, this is exactly why they do not provide such breakout data. I'd also love to see their breakout of costs for direct labor, SG&A, indirect costs, etc. But it's not going to happen.

Edited by Andryah

Much assumption, coupled with much hyperbole IMO. Also, much negativity as well.

Case in point: nowhere in EA financials (ANYWHERE) do they disclose "net" revenue. Yet you toss around a netted 100M+ statement as though you were the CFO of EA. :)

Personally, I wish they DID breakout net revenue for each product. That way I could figure out exactly what their operations expense is.. which I could then process through labor rate conversions and determine how many people are actually staffed to SWTOR. Of course, this is exactly why they do not provide such breakout data. I'd also love to see their breakout of costs for direct labor, SG&A, indirect costs, etc. But it's not going to happen.

Stop nitpicking details and calling people out for hyperbole. Point is, "too much coding" is a lame excuse .

Edited by JediMasterSLC

Well, stuff pertaining the...

Insurrection led by Grand Moff Regus and Kaedan's apprentice on Rakata Prime is still missing. Unless Bioware completely scrapped that, which I doubt, it's bound to emerge sooner or later.

...seriously?

Another Imperial insurrection?? I'm someone who could probably be lumped into the "defender" camp by people who want to throw labels around, but even I'm going to be reeeeally irked at EA/BW if a coup by Regus is the next storyline.

I get that the Empire has a chronic back-stabbing problem, it's kind of their thing. But seriously, "Darth Malgus breaks away from the Empire and forms a faction that is a threat to both sides" was the finale of the game's content at launch, and "The Dread Lords break away from the Empire and form a faction that is a threat to both sides" was the driving storyline for all the post-launch story content we've gotten since then.

If "Grand Moff Regus breaks away from the Empire and forms a faction that is a threat to both sides" is the start of the next chapter... that'd be pretty damn lazy on their part, even if it gets dispensed with quickly and just serves to lead into a larger Rakata threat (which seems like a possibility if it were being set on Lehon).

EDIT: New info from a Redditer

Second, I asked about player housing, and while the verbal answer was of the "that’s a good idea" variety, judging by his not-so-wry smile and general body language, I’d say it’s almost a certainty they are working on player housing. In my question I made a note of how ripe for CM player housing content was, and the smiling/nodding only got bigger. Based on this, I would be completely stunned if we don’t see player housing in 2014."

~Comment made by Stevebelt on Reddit.

This guy is in dreamland. They said nothing about player housing. He imagined something based upon his own made-up interpretation of someone's body language? Give me a break, lol. BW has said repeatedly that they have no intent to add any player housing as they consider player ships to be player housing. That horse has already been beat to death.

This guy is in dreamland. They said nothing about player housing. He imagined something based upon his own made-up interpretation of someone's body language? Give me a break, lol. BW has said repeatedly that they have no intent to add any player housing as they consider player ships to be player housing. That horse has already been beat to death.

Even so, he didn't say anything about it NOT being the ships either in there that i saw at least. Not saying they will implementing anything of such sort, but COULD be reffering to customizing the actual ship as your "house" ? decorating etc. etc? I don't walk around hoping for that, but would be a nice addition, and a nice patch for those who want player housing i guess :)

According to you.

Yea, not just him.

It seems the main purpose of these cantina events, other to get hammered with people that come, is to divulge to the community what's too hard, too expensive, too time consuming.

Yea I really don't wanna hear that from a developer. It was borderline passable when the game was in a slump but with the amount of revenue this game allegedly pulls in they should be aiming higher. But every time the news is how a 2007 feature is too hard for them to code in 2014. Jesus Christ. Sooner rather than later this game will need cross server features to help cope with the aging process and further player base decline. I hate to bring up WoW but Blizz is doing these things on what's fundamentally a modified wc3 engine and BW Austin finds it "too hard" to code in an account vault? It's just... deflating is the word I would use.

Another cantina event another reminder to keep expectations firmly in check. Cos coding is apparently hard. Well whoopty do, I guess thats alright then. These must be the guys that did the obamacare site.

Even so, he didn't say anything about it NOT being the ships either in there that i saw at least. Not saying they will implementing anything of such sort, but COULD be reffering to customizing the actual ship as your "house" ? decorating etc. etc? I don't walk around hoping for that, but would be a nice addition, and a nice patch for those who want player housing i guess :)

And monkeys COULD fly out of my butt if the wind conditions are favourable and IF the proper pig flew in the right angle at noon.