Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Minimum charge for railguns

Zharik
01.31.2014 , 04:07 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
If they need a minimum charge to fire thats anything more than 5%, then congrats bioware. Youve just destroyed Gunships.
Hardly... I'm hoping it is around 50% myself.

I've seen all ship types except Pike/Quell lead the boards. Do Flashfires/Stings lead a bit more often than others? Yes. Do Gunships lead their fair share? Yes. Do Rycers/Star Guards lead? Yes, but their unpopularity makes them lead less frequently.

Oh and I am talking about Kills/Assists/Damage leaders, not just kills.
<Alt-a-holic's Anonymous>
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Members (x18).

My Referral Link for some Free things (for you and me)

Armonddd
01.31.2014 , 04:10 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SammyGStatus View Post
Does the evasion stat get taken into account with missile lock on? Cuz it is a nightmare to land a slug hit on an evasion scout, or an evasion spec'd gs...
The evasion stat does not interact with lock-on missiles, torpedoes, etc. in any way. It does interact with rocket pods, which are "dead-fire" weapons, similar to how lasers work.

Quote:
And to respond to your last sentence, if the buffs dont get applied, would it matter? ESPECIALLY if the % charge has a correlation to the amount of energy drained
There's no evidence that the debuff will not be applied in that situation, nor that the debuff will scale with charge level.

There's also no evidence that situation would come up. It all depends on how BioWare implements this change - it's entirely possible there will also be a minimum power level requirement to begin the charge (in which case love tapping only happens if you're getting hit by power drain yourself).

Quote: Originally Posted by Zharik View Post
A minimum charge to fire is actually more stringent than I originally posted... not less.
That's true, unless the railgun continues to auto-fire at zero weapon power (thus bypassing the minimum charge).

If they need a minimum charge to fire thats anything more than 5%, then congrats bioware. Youve just destroyed Gunships.
It would take a lot more than that to destroy gunships. Slugs are still strictly superior to protons except against targets with enormous shields and no missile break (so... bombers that you forgot to hit with ion) and/or a certain amount of lag that makes railgun shots nearly impossible but allows for missile locks (an extremely niche case).
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Zoom_VI
01.31.2014 , 06:34 PM | #13
I think as long as gunships can pop 6 seconds of immortality every 20 seconds and barrel roll every 4 seconds I think they will be perfectly fine.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Kuciwalker
01.31.2014 , 07:19 PM | #14
Scouts can do both of those things, and get to 41% passive evasion for the 14 seconds that distortion isn't up.

Railguns are better than missiles, sure. that's because missiles are properly considered a true secondary weapon, whereas the entire purpose of a gunship is the railgun.

Verain
01.31.2014 , 07:25 PM | #15
I would hope railguns are better than missiles. Gunships pay dearly to get them. If you put railguns on a flashfire, ROFL!

Armonddd
01.31.2014 , 07:33 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
Scouts can do both of those things, and get to 41% passive evasion for the 14 seconds that distortion isn't up.
Scouts can drain a target of all energy and do 1600 damage non-crit from 15 km? Please, please tell me how to do this, because I have a hard enough time doing 1600 damage on a crit from 700 m, and I don't get 30% shield penetration and 100% armor penetration.

Quote:
Railguns are better than missiles, sure. that's because missiles are properly considered a true secondary weapon, whereas the entire purpose of a gunship is the railgun.
That's absolutely true. I don't think it justifies how powerful railguns are, though.

As a matter of fact -- completely ignoring the mechanics of railguns for a moment here -- I don't like that the gunship is all about the railgun. Even if railguns were perfectly balanced and no one complained about them ever, gunships would be a one-trick pony. It's frankly less interesting to me than the design of any other ship.

Of course, snipers in every twitch game have had that issue. I don't think that justifies anything, though.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Kuciwalker
01.31.2014 , 07:48 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
Scouts can drain a target of all energy and do 1600 damage non-crit from 15 km? Please, please tell me how to do this, because I have a hard enough time doing 1600 damage on a crit from 700 m, and I don't get 30% shield penetration and 100% armor penetration.
Reading comprehension much?

dancezwithnubz
01.31.2014 , 07:57 PM | #18
i think the railguns are listed as 'secondary' weapons so co-pilot skills like Concentrated Fire won't affect them.

i'm all for a min charge, even at 50% it's still fine.

personally, I think damage/debuff should scale with charge with the top 50% of the damage/debuff coming from the last 10% of charge. so, at 50% charge, you do 10% damage/debuff . at 90% charge, you do 50% damage/debuff at 95% charge, 75% damage/debuff , 100% charge, 100% damage/debuff.

THAT would FORCE teams to support their gunships rather than a lone gunship running riot over a battlefield (with Ion Railgun abuse, i've nailed three defenders, three turrets and capped the node more than once).

Armonddd
01.31.2014 , 08:07 PM | #19
Reading comprehension much?
Were you referring to barrel roll and distortion field? My apologies. I was confused because you didn't quote anything and the remainder of your post discussed railguns, so I wrongly assumed you were referring to the OP. Also, I am somewhat biased because I don't use either barrel roll or 6 second distortion field on my scouts, so my brain just didn't offer the combination as a possible discussion topic. Again, my apologies.

Bleeters
01.31.2014 , 09:52 PM | #20
Yeah, because anything other than a 0.15 second charge time requirement before firing would ruin gunships in every concievable way.