Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Minimum charge for railguns

SammyGStatus
01.31.2014 , 01:35 PM | #1
Hey,
FIRST OFF: NERFING ION RAILGUN IS A GOOD THING
Okay, that's settled. I understand the reason to nerf the ion b/c it does so much devastation to so many things that having a minimum charge makes sense (after getting spanked by Alex on the pub side and playing with Inazuma on the imp side I tried it out and it definitely is a huge game changer b/c of the spammability of the ion railgun as well as the AOE, the regen stopping / removal of energy, etc etc). But the slug?

If I hit a scout with my slug (fully maxxed with no bypassing) then normally I dont one shot him. If I hit him from 11k as he's flying towards me, he's still able to close the distance (since most of the time 1 shot kills dont happen against geared ships). That leaves a tiny sliver of health which is enough to let him take over a node. The response would be "Go kill him then" but if I have to fully charge my slug to do that extra 50 or so damage, then the scout will have a huge amoung of time to evade me, and could potentially go beyond the range of the weapon n the time it takes to charge (depending on skill and abilities). Before I found out about the ion railgun, I would only use the slug, and I thought it made sense. You're a sniper that has a chargeable weapon. If you need to do a lot of damage, you charge it. If you need to finish off an enemy, you don't need to. I like that concept of the game because I can still take out a scout or a weak star fighter with a follow up tap. It's like doing a 2 shot in gears (melee first then shotty to the body). Some mechanics make sense, and this is one that I feel does. I'll await the release of the update to see for sure, but I know that the range of my blasters won't be far enough to finish the job. I kinda wish they'd just nerf the ion (although I did go 17k-25a-0d last night using the ion, but that only shows how OP this thing is. I've never gotten assist numbers like that using just the slug). Constructive thoughts / feedback? I only play GS so I don't really know how the scouts and star fighters feel
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

Zharik
01.31.2014 , 01:43 PM | #2
I'm pretty sure that you can fire with a minimal charge, but the debuffs will not apply unless you have a minimum threshold on that charge.
<Alt-a-holic's Anonymous>
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Member.

SammyGStatus
01.31.2014 , 01:43 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Zharik View Post
I'm pretty sure that you can fire with a minimal charge, but the debuffs will not apply unless you have a minimum threshold on that charge.
Ok, that would be a solid freakin compromise. Really hope that holds true

Nemarus
01.31.2014 , 02:02 PM | #4
What's your evidence for this?

Without having been able to test this on the PTS, my reading of the patch notes was simply, "To fire any railgun, you need some level of minimum charge." It could be 10%. It could be 50%. It could be 70%. I am fairly sure it is not 100%. Was anyone ever able to test it?

Either way, my understanding is that if you get a shot off, it will do damage proportional to the charge, but all other effects will be delivered in full. If the "minimum charge to fire" is less than 30%, then Ion Spamming may still be a problem. Less of one, but still frustrating. If it's above 30%, then I think that's probably enough that Ion Railgun will be more manageable.

As for finishing off almost-dead Scouts, your Gunship also has a primary weapon. Burst Laser Cannons in particular are great for finishing off a Scout whose shields and hull were almost obliterated by your Slug Railgun shot.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Armonddd
01.31.2014 , 02:12 PM | #5
That's not what I saw on the patch notes -- were they updated and/or do you have another source?

I am completely fine with minimum charge for slug. Compared to a proton torpedo, slug has twice as much damage, 30%-50% more range, no travel time, unlimited ammo (expect for weapon power draw, which is notable but not hugely significant), is significantly easier to hit with (due to lock-on mechanics), and is more versatile since you can release it early if necessary. In exchange, the railgun is vulnerable to evasion (which is much more common than missile locks -- everything that breaks a missile lock also evades a railgun, LOS works about equally well but favors breaking torpedo locks, and there's passive evasion) and has only 30% shield piercing instead of 100%. Overall, the win goes to slug.

This nerf addresses the versatility of railguns, but I still feel they're too powerful. Requiring railguns to have a full charge before firing would, imo, be a bigger step in the right direction, but still leaves some issues. For example, with any level of minimum charge, what do you do when the player runs out of weapon power before hitting the minimum? Currently, running out of every means the shot fires - will we see love tapping return with people purposefully draining all their energy so the game forces them to fire with no charge?
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

SammyGStatus
01.31.2014 , 02:56 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
That's not what I saw on the patch notes -- were they updated and/or do you have another source?

I am completely fine with minimum charge for slug. Compared to a proton torpedo, slug has twice as much damage, 30%-50% more range, no travel time, unlimited ammo (expect for weapon power draw, which is notable but not hugely significant), is significantly easier to hit with (due to lock-on mechanics), and is more versatile since you can release it early if necessary. In exchange, the railgun is vulnerable to evasion (which is much more common than missile locks -- everything that breaks a missile lock also evades a railgun, LOS works about equally well but favors breaking torpedo locks, and there's passive evasion) and has only 30% shield piercing instead of 100%. Overall, the win goes to slug.

This nerf addresses the versatility of railguns, but I still feel they're too powerful. Requiring railguns to have a full charge before firing would, imo, be a bigger step in the right direction, but still leaves some issues. For example, with any level of minimum charge, what do you do when the player runs out of weapon power before hitting the minimum? Currently, running out of every means the shot fires - will we see love tapping return with people purposefully draining all their energy so the game forces them to fire with no charge?
Does the evasion stat get taken into account with missile lock on? Cuz it is a nightmare to land a slug hit on an evasion scout, or an evasion spec'd gs... And to respond to your last sentence, if the buffs dont get applied, would it matter? ESPECIALLY if the % charge has a correlation to the amount of energy drained

Zharik
01.31.2014 , 02:59 PM | #7
Minimum charge listed here:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=715967
Last line of the "Ships and Hangar" portion.

Nemarus
01.31.2014 , 03:16 PM | #8
Minimum charge listed here:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=715967
Last line of the "Ships and Hangar" portion.
"•Railgun weapons now require a minimum charge before firing."

That doesn't say anything about when debuffs are or are not applied, or to what extent. Thus I'm going to assume that if the gun has enough charge (whatever amount that is) to fire, then the debuff / drain applied on hit is full.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Zharik
01.31.2014 , 03:39 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
"•Railgun weapons now require a minimum charge before firing."

That doesn't say anything about when debuffs are or are not applied, or to what extent. Thus I'm going to assume that if the gun has enough charge (whatever amount that is) to fire, then the debuff / drain applied on hit is full.
A minimum charge to fire is actually more stringent than I originally posted... not less.

renegadeimp
01.31.2014 , 03:58 PM | #10
If they need a minimum charge to fire thats anything more than 5%, then congrats bioware. Youve just destroyed Gunships.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.