Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bad healer needs help

mikebevo
01.30.2014 , 10:23 AM | #11
The good news is at least on the operative none of this matters. My main is a sawbones and like you I had all these problems leveling.

* Dissapearing Act or whatever it is called for a operative, it is your "get out of jail free" card for gold fever dps. Don't be afraid to use it and let the dps and tank tank die.

This first thing I did leveling when dps didn't follow kill order, is run into the middle of the fight where the dps is spamming their AoEs. The unattacked mobs are after you because of healing threat, if dps or tank damage them they will attack whoever damages them. Blow your defensive cooldowns and run for the fight. You use a knife to stab people in the back, you are not range, so get into the fight. If you need too throw your flash bang to slow down the mob and buy yourself time. Once the mobs get aggored by others, then worry about keeping group on feet using defensive cooldowns and flash bang when needed.

This gets way easier at level 40 when you get AoE heal, but this will get you use to making it more effective by not being a range healer. I am not saying stand right in the middle of the fight face tanking the boss, in most fights you want to be behind the boss, but I like to be in close proixitey of tank. Especially when you have leaping dps. They leap to a add on the other side of the boss from you and you have all types of problems getting them in range until after level 51 when you get roll.

With a sage I play much the same way, I like being where I can hit all four with the golden puddle, with me standing just at the back edge behind the boss. Again not much of a issue after 51 when you get your 10 sec safe zone that is a aggro dumb to boot. Just do that and watch mobs run off and attack dps/tank from you worry free bubble.

Of course once 55 and geared, either class can just AoE the mobs to death, who needs dps then.

My other advice is always assume dps has no clue what a defensive cooldown or medpac is. Some do, but you never know who will pop one.

DataBeaver
01.30.2014 , 10:25 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Adaliaya View Post
And that running to tank, well most of tanks don't mind but once I got angry Caps Lock response about passing my problems to him
That tank was an idiot. Managing aggro is the tank's job by definition. Only if you broke CC or pulled another group to get the mobs on you would it be your problem.

Margoth
01.30.2014 , 10:49 AM | #13
Thanks for advice! Things I've been doing wrong are propably about that spamming HoTs before fights, I won't do that anymore. As a Sage I can prepare peepz with Force Armor, and Operative... Stealth ? resets ? threat generation, I may be wrong about this. And that running to tank, well most of tanks don't mind but once I got angry Caps Lock response about passing my problems to him he tried to kick me, but that time DPS prevented it. But I'll propably do better now when I know not put pre-heals
Yeah. Why would you pass off your agro to the tank..... It's not like it's his job or anything....

*sigh*

AlixMV
01.30.2014 , 01:52 PM | #14
And that running to tank, well most of tanks don't mind but once I got angry Caps Lock response about passing my problems to him

What is this, I don't even.

I play a tank. Tanks have one job: to grab threat. Your problem WAS his problem.

I'm glad the DPS didn't allow him to kick you, but I would have kicked him. Or left the group voluntarily. Tank rarity bed**ned.

Life's too short to waste time on terrible players.
~ Jedi Covenant ~
Sollyni ~ Diyanna ~ Annifryd
Ydris ~ Mai'ty'lee ~ Lor'rysi

NoFishing
01.30.2014 , 02:18 PM | #15
You've gotten lots of good responses here, but one thing I'm going to disagree with is the tank focusing on the strongest. In a proper group, the tank should only need to hit the elite/champion mob with a single high-threat attack to have aggro on him, and should then basically follow the DPS to the silver/strong mobs to get and hold aggro on each of those as the DPS focus them down. That assumes the DPS are following an established kill order (weakest to strongest, left to right for example).

In many fights, the silvers hit much harder than the elites, so a tank that tries to solo the strongest mob leaving the DPS/healer to worry about the rest is not a very good tank.

NoFishing
01.30.2014 , 02:24 PM | #16
Is there defesive cooldowns that I should be using (I already use Force Wave
There are very very very few situations where you should use force wave. Too many sages at 55 are using it, knocking mobs out of AoE circles that would kill them, and spreading trash out making it more difficult for tanks to generate AoE threat on them. Yes, Force Wave can be talented to heal, and in some situations it is useful (although I don't spec into it), like when all the ranged DPS are stacked or it's a boss fight that is immune to knockback. But on trash pulls or as a defensive maneuver, it actually causes more problems than it is worth.

DataBeaver
01.30.2014 , 04:53 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
You've gotten lots of good responses here, but one thing I'm going to disagree with is the tank focusing on the strongest. In a proper group, the tank should only need to hit the elite/champion mob with a single high-threat attack to have aggro on him, and should then basically follow the DPS to the silver/strong mobs to get and hold aggro on each of those as the DPS focus them down. That assumes the DPS are following an established kill order (weakest to strongest, left to right for example).
That makes sense if there are multiple mobs that take awhile to kill, yes. I generally don't bother using single-target attacks on anything below strong when I'm tanking, since a single geared DPS can take a standard enemy down in about three hits. Conversely, DPS should watch what the tank is doing and attack the same target when it makes sense with regard to the kill order.

Adaliaya
01.31.2014 , 12:18 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by AlixMV View Post

What is this, I don't even.

I play a tank. Tanks have one job: to grab threat. Your problem WAS his problem.

I'm glad the DPS didn't allow him to kick you, but I would have kicked him. Or left the group voluntarily. Tank rarity bed**ned.

Life's too short to waste time on terrible players.
Only problem is that finding replacement tank takes forever, so I decided to get along. It went well, tough when last boss had about 70% health left there was only me and DPS left. That was Cademimu and I just couldn't heal trough those fires. Then tank started to tell us die with purpose because he was bored. He was quite selfish tank. But we didn't wipe

Thanks for encouraging me, I almost gave up with my healers:-)

blarse
01.31.2014 , 01:48 AM | #19
Only problem is that finding replacement tank takes forever, so I decided to get along. It went well, tough when last boss had about 70% health left there was only me and DPS left. That was Cademimu and I just couldn't heal trough those fires. Then tank started to tell us die with purpose because he was bored. He was quite selfish tank. But we didn't wipe

You're not supposed to be able to heal through the fires on Cademimu last boss, you're supposed to move to where the fires aren't. I don't know how much damage it does in the on level version, but in 55 hardmode the fire does over 13k damage per tick.

velasong
01.31.2014 , 01:57 AM | #20

That's a good sign imo,being able to keep yourself and 2 dps up for most of a fight after the tank died from stupidity.Don't give up because of idiots,just put them on ignore if they're really bad and move on,there's bound to be some good tanks and dps on the server you're on,just gotta hope you get the good players.
Whats in a name,it doesn't bring fame.So it's a shame,we're all part of society's game.A need to be known,our fame to be grown.A kiss on the cheek,a paycheck every week.