Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Ranked PVP (rewards) and Bioware their support

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ranked PVP (rewards) and Bioware their support

Scriffle's Avatar


Scriffle
01.29.2014 , 10:47 AM | #1
So...

As a - i believe i am- hardcore pvp player and lover of the arena's and 8v8 (R.IP) i'm quite interested in knowing the rewards of Season 1 and Bioware their point of view on the Ranked scene.

In my opinion there is no support for ranked at all. Bioware doesn't encourage people to qeue for ranked. No rewards , no weekly's or dailys. I mean i think a lot of people would qeue ranked if they would be able to win a Koreallis Baron speeder or *insert cool reward here*.

Also still no cross server qeueing which was asked by a lot of pvpers, what does ranking actually mean if you can't meet your strength with other teams? Yeah you could transfer but still this not a logical option for a lot of people. Friends on their home server, occasional pve etc.

So Bioware , when are you going to really support pvp? You admitted your failure with 8v8 and then removed it... What will be next? Removal of arena's or just remove ranked in total?

So please share your point of view with us.

Note : I am only talking about ranked pvp but I could go on with Class balancing which is still crap for some classes so these classes can't be played in ranked. --> again bad for the ranked scene.
- Koré -Operative on Tomb Of Freedonn Nadd
Unavailable
Get free cartel market unlocks and a free character transfer! Click!

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
01.29.2014 , 10:49 AM | #2
Maybe ranked PVP just isn't as popular as some people think it is.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

tanerb's Avatar


tanerb
01.29.2014 , 10:56 AM | #3
First, I agree that there should be very good rewards for ranked PVP (and I am saying this as a person who does not PVP at all)
However I am disappointed with PVP community .I remember so many PVP guys shouting for ranked PVP. Now it is here and most of them are chickened out. Why, because it is difficult to beat another good PVP guy and they will really see they are not as good as they thought. It is not as easy beating a L25 in Tatooine. or a PVE guy in Gree event.
I believe, even if they bring cool rewards, that community will find a way to complain and not play.

Damask_Rose's Avatar


Damask_Rose
01.29.2014 , 12:28 PM | #4
The ranked players I knew quit queuing for ranked (and then quit playing at all) when the relic bug wasn't squashed right away and the rankings were never reset when it was. They probably were the tiny minority, but for people who take ranked seriously, having people with grossly inflated ranks due to exploiting a known bug, it really was a "slap in the face". On top of that, arenas aren't as popular as 8v8, so they ditched the popular format in favor of one that is, to put it kindly, less popular. Between the borked rankings and ditching 8v8, there really is no surprise that ranked is suffering right now. Bad decisions on Bioware's part don't mean people don't want to play ranked, it means they don't want to play it in it's current messed up state.

Unity 3d tutorials
Friends referral for free character transfer and unlocks

Nempo's Avatar


Nempo
01.29.2014 , 03:57 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
The ranked players I knew quit queuing for ranked (and then quit playing at all) when the relic bug wasn't squashed right away and the rankings were never reset when it was. They probably were the tiny minority, but for people who take ranked seriously, having people with grossly inflated ranks due to exploiting a known bug, it really was a "slap in the face". On top of that, arenas aren't as popular as 8v8, so they ditched the popular format in favor of one that is, to put it kindly, less popular. Between the borked rankings and ditching 8v8, there really is no surprise that ranked is suffering right now. Bad decisions on Bioware's part don't mean people don't want to play ranked, it means they don't want to play it in it's current messed up state.
QFT

I also know of a large population of PvPers that would love ranked...if they removed all arenas...removed all relics that are proc based (true skill is in ACTIVE USE relics...not passive procs) ad swung the focus back on tight objective play.

Heck a mini version of the old Ilum battlefield would be a GREAT step in the right direction. I've pretty much stopped pvp at 55 due to all the foolish crap going on. Things are honestly more balanced in the 30-54 bracket than the 55 bracket. I've shredded 54's as a 30 over and over again no matter what the 54 tried to do...it isn't hard. I've also done the inverse of that. You don't have passive relics or raid/pvp gear bonuses to worry about.

I know a surprisingly high number of pvpers who have done the same.
"I am not driven by hatred. I am not driven by fear.
I am not driven by desire, duty, or any rationale. I can no longer feel any of these.
All that remains is Retribution; Cold and hard and final..."

Nempo - Gray Jedi

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
01.29.2014 , 04:10 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by tanerb View Post
First, I agree that there should be very good rewards for ranked PVP (and I am saying this as a person who does not PVP at all)
However I am disappointed with PVP community .I remember so many PVP guys shouting for ranked PVP. Now it is here and most of them are chickened out. Why, because it is difficult to beat another good PVP guy and they will really see they are not as good as they thought. It is not as easy beating a L25 in Tatooine. or a PVE guy in Gree event.
I believe, even if they bring cool rewards, that community will find a way to complain and not play.
That's quite unfair to blame the players. I enjoy PvP, I PvP every day I play...but I don't do ranked, never asked for ranked, and I honestly see ranked as a waste of time...but I don't blame the players for the failure of ranked PvP, that's 100% on Bioware.

- preseason lasted over a year
- when they switched to season 1, they removed 8v8
- no reason other than e-peen to do it
- no incentive
- no rewards
- no daily/weekly
- no class balance
- no match making
- nobody wanted arenas

Don't blame the players for Bioware's **** ups.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Reno_Tarshil's Avatar


Reno_Tarshil
01.29.2014 , 04:31 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Nempo View Post
QFT

I also know of a large population of PvPers that would love ranked...if they removed all arenas...removed all relics that are proc based (true skill is in ACTIVE USE relics...not passive procs) ad swung the focus back on tight objective play.

Heck a mini version of the old Ilum battlefield would be a GREAT step in the right direction. I've pretty much stopped pvp at 55 due to all the foolish crap going on. Things are honestly more balanced in the 30-54 bracket than the 55 bracket. I've shredded 54's as a 30 over and over again no matter what the 54 tried to do...it isn't hard. I've also done the inverse of that. You don't have passive relics or raid/pvp gear bonuses to worry about.

I know a surprisingly high number of pvpers who have done the same.
Opinion.
The Ragestar Legacy
[Living Legend]
Quote: Originally Posted by EvenHardNiner View Post
Ah fair enough. You are right.
http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuffs

cycao's Avatar


cycao
01.29.2014 , 04:41 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by tanerb View Post
First, I agree that there should be very good rewards for ranked PVP (and I am saying this as a person who does not PVP at all)
However I am disappointed with PVP community .I remember so many PVP guys shouting for ranked PVP. Now it is here and most of them are chickened out. Why, because it is difficult to beat another good PVP guy and they will really see they are not as good as they thought. It is not as easy beating a L25 in Tatooine. or a PVE guy in Gree event.
I believe, even if they bring cool rewards, that community will find a way to complain and not play.
There was massive interest in ranked PvP. When they announced that it was delayed they lost a big number of those players. Then with some questionable changes made to class balance issues (hello stun bubbles) and the viable specs for arenas they never took off...That and no matchmaking so a new team with a 0 rating would get smashed by a team with 2400+.

Arenas was something that not everyone wanted, especially at the cost of 8v8 as many used paid transfer which helped build up 8v8 prior to their removal. There are things they could do to increase participation for arenas. One would be as OP put it, tell us what rewards could be expected. Another would be add a weekly and daily. More to the extreme would be removing ranked comms for the solo queue and get rid of the the conversion of normal commendations to ranked. This would force people to team up and enter competitive group ranked arenas instead of just yolo queueing or staying in regs.

I get what you're saying but there are things that the PvP community has been asking for since they announced arenas and these things go completely unnoticed. If they just ignored all the QQ and listened to the real suggestions we have been pitching since launch PvP would be in a much better state.

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
01.29.2014 , 04:47 PM | #9
Yeah the 1.2 bait and switch, where they literally announced <12 hours before patch release that RWZ would not make it in, a huge number of competitive PvPers threw in the towel.

Ranked PvP has, in general, be FUBAR since inception in this game. There has never been an end-game to it, nothing to fight for other than for the sake of PvP. Which is enough reason for a few people (most of us that are still here), but there needs to be an incentive to draw larger participation. Right now, there is not one.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

cycao's Avatar


cycao
01.29.2014 , 05:09 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
Yeah the 1.2 bait and switch, where they literally announced <12 hours before patch release that RWZ would not make it in, a huge number of competitive PvPers threw in the towel.

Ranked PvP has, in general, be FUBAR since inception in this game. There has never been an end-game to it, nothing to fight for other than for the sake of PvP. Which is enough reason for a few people (most of us that are still here), but there needs to be an incentive to draw larger participation. Right now, there is not one.
Seriously.