Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Slicing] Is running slicing missions useless?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Slicing] Is running slicing missions useless?

Athideus
01.29.2014 , 04:04 AM | #1
It seems that I'm only losing credits on doing missions.
I'm at around 250 slicing at the moment and For the past 40 missions, of only doing lockboxes, I've lost (and from my understanding you should gain) 5000 credits in total.
Sure you have a small chanse of getting rare missions and so on but it seems to me that the skill really doesn't help much.
Does it get better once you reach an even higher lvl?

Fidelicatessen
01.29.2014 , 04:41 AM | #2
It's the only way to get Thermal Regulators (crit success on Bountiful or Rich top-level Sliced Tech missions). 4 Thermal Regulators are needed to make any Augment. You better believe it's viable in the endgame--those TRs are super valuable.

Lockbox missions aren't really for making money, in my experience. They're for skilling up.

Athideus
01.29.2014 , 05:35 AM | #3
Ok thanks.

psandak
01.29.2014 , 11:54 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Fidelicatessen View Post
Lockbox missions aren't really for making money, in my experience. They're for skilling up.
And for discovered missions for all (gathering and mission) crew skills.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Ulunnes (Commando)
Zaggema (Sin) Daellia (Merc) Carrud (Marauder) Quith'edi'ata (Operative)

high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Reverse Engineering Rules
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give it to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something else" Steve Jobs

MaximilianPower
01.30.2014 , 05:36 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
And for discovered missions for all (gathering and mission) crew skills.

Any idea what the success rates are for scoring discovered missions from rich lockbox missions? I recall slicing 450's are less common than all other discoveries, but I'm not sure what the actual rates are. I run the bountiful/rich missions for tech parts constantly, and I'm just trying to decide if it's worth running the lockbox missions too (in hopes of landing some mission discoveries, since otherwise it's just ultimately a loss of credits).
Hey, Barsen'thor Bill
What did you kill
Barsen'thor Bill

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Bøbløblaw EddieBrøck SylvesterMcbean Zuck-srw'i
TøbiasFünke MaebyFünke MaximilianPower MaxPower-srw
Jedi Covenant / Shadowlands / Harbinger / The Ebon Hawk / Bastion / Begeren Colony /The Red Eclipse / Progenitor

Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

psandak
01.31.2014 , 09:03 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximilianPower View Post
Any idea what the success rates are for scoring discovered missions from rich lockbox missions? I recall slicing 450's are less common than all other discoveries, but I'm not sure what the actual rates are. I run the bountiful/rich missions for tech parts constantly, and I'm just trying to decide if it's worth running the lockbox missions too (in hopes of landing some mission discoveries, since otherwise it's just ultimately a loss of credits).
You're right that running lockbox missions for credits is a slim profit at best. If you run lockbox missions it is for the chance for a discovered mission.

Whatever your chance to crit is your chance to get a discovered mission (in addition to a larger credit amount in the lockbox). However, what mission one gets seems to be weighted with investigation being the most common and slicing being the least. If one has all crew skills, what mission one gets does not matter. If one doesn't, then it could be frustrating to get discovered missions one cannot use. That being said, with the exception of investigation, discovered missions sell well on the GTN. There is even a market for lower level discovered missions.

high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Reverse Engineering Rules
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give it to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something else" Steve Jobs

Vodrin
01.31.2014 , 10:25 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Fidelicatessen View Post
It's the only way to get Thermal Regulators (crit success on Bountiful or Rich top-level Sliced Tech missions). 4 Thermal Regulators are needed to make any Augment. You better believe it's viable in the endgame--those TRs are super valuable.

And for getting recipes/mission discovery, that's it. If you want to make money with slicing you have to sell the slicing parts or run around questing areas and gather lockboxes.

tanerb
01.31.2014 , 03:12 PM | #8
I always wonder who buys those UT missions for more than 50k each. Are they doing it for berylius? Even then it does not feel like it worths.

MaximilianPower
02.01.2014 , 08:20 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
You're right that running lockbox missions for credits is a slim profit at best. If you run lockbox missions it is for the chance for a discovered mission.

Whatever your chance to crit is your chance to get a discovered mission (in addition to a larger credit amount in the lockbox). However, what mission one gets seems to be weighted with investigation being the most common and slicing being the least. If one has all crew skills, what mission one gets does not matter. If one doesn't, then it could be frustrating to get discovered missions one cannot use. That being said, with the exception of investigation, discovered missions sell well on the GTN. There is even a market for lower level discovered missions.
Ok, thanks. I'll do a little survey of discovered missions on my server's GTN to see what they're going for. I know slicing ones go for around 130k or more, but I haven't looked at the others.

I do actually have all crew skills (a couple not quite at 450, but they'll be there soon), so technically I could use any of them, but I may only keep/use the slicing ones (for the guaranteed TRs, of course). If the other missions sell for enough, then I'll add the rich lockbox missions to my slicing "rotation" (currently just Unsliceable? & Watching the Watchdogs). I guess crit rate would be around 20%-ish (or a little more depending on bonuses/affection level), so would you say the chance of yielding a slicing mission is closer to 10%?
Hey, Barsen'thor Bill
What did you kill
Barsen'thor Bill

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Bøbløblaw EddieBrøck SylvesterMcbean Zuck-srw'i
TøbiasFünke MaebyFünke MaximilianPower MaxPower-srw
Jedi Covenant / Shadowlands / Harbinger / The Ebon Hawk / Bastion / Begeren Colony /The Red Eclipse / Progenitor

Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

psandak
02.01.2014 , 09:09 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximilianPower View Post
so would you say the chance of yielding a slicing mission is closer to 10%?
Doing the math:
There are 10 total possible discovered missions: 2 of each Investigation and diplomacy and 1 of each of the rest. So right off the bat, one is twice as likely to get Investigation or diplomacy than anything else. Assuming an even distribution (which we know is the not the case) your chance to get any one mission is your chance to crit multiplied by the chance at any one:

Assuming best conditions: 15% base chance to crit + 5% for max affection +2% for companion bonus = 22% chance to crit * 10% chance at any one mission = 2.2% (2.1% with a +1 crit companion, 2.0% with a companion with no +crit to slicing)

Now weight the distribution, heavily in favor of investigation and heavily against slicing. The chance at slicing is more likely half the above; somewhere around 1%.

The point is that seeking slicing missions is going to be upsetting to aggravating, unless you have several to many slicers. Personally I have two. I actually run Credit Drain more than Unsliceable because I want the missions (I have a healthy stock of TRs already that I only use to augment my and my guild's characters; I do not sell purple augments.