Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

New Class?


BritishCanadian_'s Avatar


BritishCanadian_
01.28.2014 , 12:09 PM | #1
So with the new expansion, Galactic Starfighter, now out, what about the next expansion? I'm personally hoping for a new planet, new companion, new level cap and ESPECIALLY, a new class.

What sort of new class might they do though if they were to create a new one? The current 8 are pretty solid, and it's hard to think of another they might make. If they do, I'd like it not to be force wielding, as I think all the Jedi/Sith variety they can make has been taken.

I was thinking a droid, but I'm not sure how that would turn out. Especially with all the decisions you can make and relationships with characters. Like Kira going at it with C2-N2..... I don't want to think about that. Do you think they WILL make a new class?
The Nexus Legacy
Harbinger Server- Master of the NexusGamers Guild
The Three Heroes:
Trrythirn Xandrre Paliti

Bstr's Avatar


Bstr
01.28.2014 , 12:23 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by BritishCanadian_ View Post
Do you think they WILL make a new class?
The developers and community team have said multiple times that they will NOT make a new class.

However, they are open to making more skill trees and more Advanced Classes.
Bobuster: Sab. Guns. Robcase: Seer Sage Jr An'val: Def. Guard. ShepardCmd: S.S. Vang.
Bosat'ta: Bodyguard Merc. Bophia: Anni. Maurader Borbend: Med. Op.
<Republic's Hammer> <Reformation> Jung-Ma Server

teclado's Avatar


teclado
01.28.2014 , 03:57 PM | #3
A new class would have all sorts of implications ranging from class balance to having to hire voice actors again ($$). I don't think F2P dollars are going to pay for that.
My 55s: VG, Guard / Jugg, Sage / Sorc, Sentinel, Shadow
TBA: Merc (51), Comm (45), Scound (41), Sin (39), PT (33), Mara (26)

The Harbinger

Adaliaya's Avatar


Adaliaya
01.29.2014 , 02:14 PM | #4
I think all iconic roles are already in game (gj BW, thanks for it) so I dont think there is two new possible classes (for both sides) however new skill trees are more than welcome, perhaps more variety for tanks and healers (that have only one/class)

Dasem's Avatar


Dasem
02.01.2014 , 08:29 AM | #5
Instead of a new class, I'd rather new Advanced Classes.

Some aspects of the lore aren't represented.

Mace Windu was a Consular (from what I've read). In TOR, that's primarily a force user. Or a Shadow, which Windu was definitely not. He was such a good lightsaber combatant that he helped perfect a new dangerous fighting style.

Where's that advanced class? Where's that skill tree? Don't say "Well, _______ class with ______ spec is as close as we have". No. This is about adding in new things. I don't want to settle for the closest thing to Windu. I want Windu.

Darth Maul is another example. Oh, double saber, so he's an Assassin. Really? Have you played one? Not exactly lightsaber combat focused, it's more a hybrid lightsaber/force user. I'd love a skill tree focused much more on lightsaber combat, even throwing some kicks in there. Maul used a double saber but fought like a Marauder. Shadows/Assassins need a skill tree like that.

Additionally, I'd like Sentinels/Marauders to be able to use double-sabers and for Shadows/Assassins to be able to dual-wield.

Shatoa's Avatar


Shatoa
02.03.2014 , 12:30 PM | #6
Maybe a new class wouldn't be possible, but I certainly wouldn't mind them giving us some way to change advanced class specialization. Not something that is so easily done as the skill trees, but perhaps a one-time rechoice at the new maximum level as a reward.

sollinton's Avatar


sollinton
02.03.2014 , 05:45 PM | #7
It would be cool to have new advanced classes.

I would really like to see an advanced class that could spec for melee DPS or for ranged DPS. And no I don't mean like the current Madness/Balance Sins/Shadows. I mean a class where you can be a pure ranged DPS or a pure melee DPS depending on your tree. It wouldn't be hard, just make all the abilities start off as melee and then put a talent in one of the trees that increases the range of that tree's primary abilities to 30m (like the Transmission passive for the Sorc).

Or perhaps an advanced class that can spec into healing or tanking. That idea would be difficult to implement properly though, because a class that can tank, heal, and DPS would need it's own special niche or people would whine that it is too versatile.

Aside from more advanced classes, a new tree or expanded trees for the existing classes would be cool, but I would still rather a new advanced class.

Regardless, a whole new class is definitely not going to happen; too much time/money would have to be spent on a brand new storyline, brand new companions, and brand new voice acting for the class and all of its companions. Plus there really are not any class archetypes left. There are plenty of advanced class archetypes left, but as far as the overall classes go, we pretty much have everything covered.

mmarsh's Avatar


mmarsh
02.04.2014 , 03:23 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Dasem View Post
Instead of a new class, I'd rather new Advanced Classes.

Some aspects of the lore aren't represented.

Mace Windu was a Consular (from what I've read). In TOR, that's primarily a force user. Or a Shadow, which Windu was definitely not. He was such a good lightsaber combatant that he helped perfect a new dangerous fighting style.

Where's that advanced class? Where's that skill tree? Don't say "Well, _______ class with ______ spec is as close as we have". No. This is about adding in new things. I don't want to settle for the closest thing to Windu. I want Windu.

Darth Maul is another example. Oh, double saber, so he's an Assassin. Really? Have you played one? Not exactly lightsaber combat focused, it's more a hybrid lightsaber/force user. I'd love a skill tree focused much more on lightsaber combat, even throwing some kicks in there. Maul used a double saber but fought like a Marauder. Shadows/Assassins need a skill tree like that.

Additionally, I'd like Sentinels/Marauders to be able to use double-sabers and for Shadows/Assassins to be able to dual-wield.
I'd disagree. I read that Windu was a JK class. A practitioner of one of the most dangerous and rarest styles of lightsaber combat Vaapad. A consular would have been someone like Yoda.

In Real-Life the ability to wield two blades in fencing (Kendo, Florantine style fencing) is the act of a master swordman that requires years of advanced training. In the SW universe, only the JK should have the level of saber training to wield two weapons. Therefore the ability to carry two sabers should stay unique to the JK/SW class. My Idea for a new AC for the JC/SI would be more of hybrid saber/force user. A mix of saber attacks with some ranged force attacks/cc mixed in.

However your other idea of have a new JK AC that focuses on wielding the Saber-staff, Lightsaber Pike or other Jedi Weapons certainly has merit. Perhaps a focus in AOE attacks for dealing with mobs?

mmarsh's Avatar


mmarsh
02.04.2014 , 03:43 AM | #9
Yes adding new Base classes would be time consuming, complicated to do, and very expensive and I fully expect them to push it off still the last possible moment (espicially when the coffers are bigger). I do think we see new A/C sooner though.

But soon or later they will HAVE to add new classes at some point because otherwise they will start to lose subs. Almost all MMORPGs I can think of have added new classes at some point. Its Darwinism..evolve or die.

Its either this, or a new SW MMORPG (which would not be impossible as the new movies are scheduled for 2015).

KyleSChen's Avatar


KyleSChen
02.04.2014 , 08:34 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by mmarsh View Post
I'd disagree. I read that Windu was a JK class. A practitioner of one of the most dangerous and rarest styles of lightsaber combat Vaapad. A consular would have been someone like Yoda.

In Real-Life the ability to wield two blades in fencing (Kendo, Florantine style fencing) is the act of a master swordman that requires years of advanced training. In the SW universe, only the JK should have the level of saber training to wield two weapons. Therefore the ability to carry two sabers should stay unique to the JK/SW class. My Idea for a new AC for the JC/SI would be more of hybrid saber/force user. A mix of saber attacks with some ranged force attacks/cc mixed in.

However your other idea of have a new JK AC that focuses on wielding the Saber-staff, Lightsaber Pike or other Jedi Weapons certainly has merit. Perhaps a focus in AOE attacks for dealing with mobs?
On the Mace topic: Vappid was a NEW (meaning it didn't exist yet in TOR) thing, also, it's a branch of Juyo. Witch we already have. Just sayin'. I'd guess Mace was a JG.
0164 0162 0190 0188 HUTTBALL!!!!!
One day I will return!!!
Referral link for new or returning players.