Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Next expansion 2014?

Torenator
01.28.2014 , 08:43 AM | #1
I'm purely speculating, but I wanted to get others thoughts. Do you think we'll see another expansion this year, with a new planet(s) and a level cap increase? I know GSF has yet to fully release, and it comes with a new bolstering FP, but that is only one aspect of the game.

I feel like the game is regaining popularity, primarily because I and my friends have started playing again recently and the servers seem pretty busy. It would be nice to catch wind of another major expac in the works.

Denerio
01.28.2014 , 08:45 AM | #2
GSF is the expansion for the year. I wouldn't expect anything more until 2015. Once all the new mmo's come out this year I doubt there will be anyone left playing this game.

hadoken
01.28.2014 , 08:52 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Denerio View Post
GSF is the expansion for the year. I wouldn't expect anything more until 2015. Once all the new mmo's come out this year I doubt there will be anyone left playing this game.
There will always be people playing this game, because "Star Wars". People were playing SWG right until the last possible second.

That said I'm not going to speculate on another expac, as I have no idea how much of what team was on Makeb vs GSF (i.e. was GSF in development all along or was it only once Makeb was out, etc.). Too many variables.

Nydus
01.28.2014 , 08:55 AM | #4
Once all the new mmo's come out this year I doubt there will be anyone left playing this game.
There have been a number of new MMOs over the last two-plus years that were supposed to do this. Game population seems relatively stable (how much money the game is making, nobody knows!).

As for expansions, I imagine this is the large-scale expansion for the year. However, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a new random planet (a la Oricron, etc.) as well as a bunch of flashpoints, pvp arenas, etc.

Personally, I haven't explored all the content that was out at launch -- this thing called a life -- so I'm sticking with the game for the foreseeable future .

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

turtlesareawesom
01.28.2014 , 09:04 AM | #5
I think, we should be seeing a new expansion this year for the patch number, 3.0, to keep the players entertained. I hope we get Pazaak or Pod-Racing next, since we have Galactic Starfighter.

DataBeaver
01.28.2014 , 09:17 AM | #6
I wouldn't really count it as a real expansion in this game's context, since there's no storyline, no new planet, no level cap increase, no new items, nothing. It doesn't even interact with the main game in any way, so it's more like a different game that shares thematic elements with SW:TOR. The original space missions are pretty much a minigame too, but at least you can craft components for your ship and use the space commendations to buy some items for your character. I'd consider Oricon to be more of an expansion for SW:TOR than GSF, and it wasn't marketed as such.

Then there's the fact that GSF is version 2.6. RotHC bumped version number to 2.0, so I'd expect the next big expansion to be 3.0.

jarshr
01.28.2014 , 09:20 AM | #7
if GSF is seriously supposed to keep ppl playing until 2015, i dont see swtor having a very good 2014.....that aspect of the game only applies to the pvp crowd, and doesn't progress the story all that much.....game NEED's another makeb, but longer, much much longer in length, and without 100,000x mobs on every inch of a zone lol....totally killed any sense of exploration or immersion.

TUXs
01.28.2014 , 09:31 AM | #8
This! GSF hasn't even been "released" yet. GSF is the new looming expansion!!!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Mowermanx
01.28.2014 , 09:32 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DataBeaver View Post
I wouldn't really count it as a real expansion in this game's context, since there's no storyline, no new planet, no level cap increase, no new items, nothing. It doesn't even interact with the main game in any way, so it's more like a different game that shares thematic elements with SW:TOR. The original space missions are pretty much a minigame too, but at least you can craft components for your ship and use the space commendations to buy some items for your character. I'd consider Oricon to be more of an expansion for SW:TOR than GSF, and it wasn't marketed as such.

Then there's the fact that GSF is version 2.6. RotHC bumped version number to 2.0, so I'd expect the next big expansion to be 3.0.
Pretty much this.

DimmuJanKaarl
01.28.2014 , 09:32 AM | #10
While I don't hate GSF, per se, my interest fell off very quickly after pre-launch. *maybe* if Fleet Reputation were a reward my ocd would compel me to grind out to get legend but that's what I'll be doing with the new fp. Since GSF has no real link to the main pve game in terms of gear and rewards, I simply have a hard time finding a point in continuing to play. it took me almost no time at all to get my ship to the mastered status, and I wouldn't see the point in grinding out max lvl on the rest of the components. so then what? rinse and repeat on a bunch of other ship types? just feels like mini game that quickly felt like a distraction from the main game with no benefits.

I sincerely hope a real expansion with real ties and benefits in the main game comes out and that GSF isn't "the big update" for 2014. especially since many of us have played it since late 2013. that would make 2014 feel like a year without updates.
**Von-Gorgoroth Legacy** [[Jedi Covenant]] LIVING LEGEND
||MASTER CRAFTSMAN|| //Founder// :: -LEGENDARY-
Main: Dimmu'jan-kaarl 65 Watchman Sentinel