Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Asian parents

fdbgjfdhjgkjdhsg
01.26.2014 , 03:23 PM | #11
I beg to differ.
Speak softly, and carry a big blaster.

leptir
01.26.2014 , 04:28 PM | #12
I'll do a mind maze next time

Ren_simp
01.30.2014 , 12:12 AM | #13
IHe's probably concerned that you will waste your youth infront of a computer screen
I have limited my kids computer use to 1hr per day after they literally spent the whole 6 weeks holidays
Watching YouTube and playing minecraft They don't like it but I know its for their own good
as a teenager these years are extremely important.
You need to consentrate on school to get a good degree or job to have a decent life you want to be earning
80k+ in your early 20's not stuck in a minimum wage job as a working slave which is what will happen if you spend most of your time playing games

Don't dis your dad

Jandi
01.30.2014 , 04:32 AM | #14
Pull up peer rewieved studies about how computer games improive congnitive skills, language, expose you to various cultures and improve hand-eye coordination in addition to not having harmful side effects that can be shown scientifically.

Gaming is awesome and helps people grow as people if you can moderate it.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.

theUndead
01.30.2014 , 04:55 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Ren_simp View Post
IHe's probably concerned that you will waste your youth infront of a computer screen
I have limited my kids computer use to 1hr per day after they literally spent the whole 6 weeks holidays
Watching YouTube and playing minecraft They don't like it but I know its for their own good
as a teenager these years are extremely important.
You need to consentrate on school to get a good degree or job to have a decent life you want to be earning
80k+ in your early 20's not stuck in a minimum wage job as a working slave which is what will happen if you spend most of your time playing games

Don't dis your dad
I think he is old enough to make his own decisions. I am not a parent myself but your parenting may not be the right way for him. So do not presume to know what is best for him. He is not your child.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche

Daewan
01.31.2014 , 02:58 PM | #16
Please read and have your dad read this report from IBM: http://www.ibm.com/ibm/gio/us/en/gaming.html

IBM and other major corporations also has other studies on how social gaming improves business skills. If you want to know why I know about this study, it's because I am a full-time employed grown up who does not work in games but has used my gaming skills and strategies in the workplace, and I have mentioned my gaming in interviews. At least once, a gaming story got me a contract position (profits were used to upgrade my computer).

My personal take: It is more of an American social thing - we use our games to be both cooperative and competitive. That's the part that carries over into the workplace. Read the report, and see if that will help you explain how your 'casual' gaming will help you get to 'business casual.'

Good luck! And of course, May the Force be with you!
Darth Squeek, Dark Lord of the Skittles
<< Addict
KeÁrye Legacy, <Black Star Society>/<Intrepid Adventurers>
Questions about stuff in SWTOR? SEARCH DULFY FIRST!
Obligatory referral link

ImmortalLowlife
02.05.2014 , 07:55 AM | #17
It's not just Asian parents bro lol. I'm black and when I was your age (did I just say that? *shivers) my folks felt the same way your dad does. He felt I spent entirely too much time playing video games. I think what irked him most was the fact I worked & bought my own gaming systems. To him was a waste of money, but because I was spending money I made I got what I wanted. I was also an honor student taking mostly AP classes and I played basketball. Just like you, I didn't really have a lot of time to game. But in his eyes I was "always playing that Damn Nintendo". But the solution has already been mentioned.....a daily journal. You need to track your day.....everything you do. That way when he says "you're spending to much time gaming", you can show him that you're actually not spending as much time as he thinks. Also...I assume your dad pays for your sub. This needs to change. YOU need to pay for it with your own money that you've earned. And no...your allowance doesn't count as money earned. You can't get a "real job" at age 14, but you can get a hustle. There's something you can do for friends, other family members outside your house, or neighbors to make enough to pay for your gaming needs.

Trust me tho when I say "it's all part of growing up". Your only a couple of years older than MY oldest child. So I understand both sides. Good luck & may the force be with you.
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

Server: The Shadowlands/ Guild~The Elite Imperial Guard & Order of the Light~

leptir
02.08.2014 , 07:40 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by ImmortalLowlife View Post
It's not just Asian parents bro lol. I'm black and when I was your age (did I just say that? *shivers) my folks felt the same way your dad does. He felt I spent entirely too much time playing video games. I think what irked him most was the fact I worked & bought my own gaming systems. To him was a waste of money, but because I was spending money I made I got what I wanted. I was also an honor student taking mostly AP classes and I played basketball. Just like you, I didn't really have a lot of time to game. But in his eyes I was "always playing that Damn Nintendo". But the solution has already been mentioned.....a daily journal. You need to track your day.....everything you do. That way when he says "you're spending to much time gaming", you can show him that you're actually not spending as much time as he thinks. Also...I assume your dad pays for your sub. This needs to change. YOU need to pay for it with your own money that you've earned. And no...your allowance doesn't count as money earned. You can't get a "real job" at age 14, but you can get a hustle. There's something you can do for friends, other family members outside your house, or neighbors to make enough to pay for your gaming needs.

Trust me tho when I say "it's all part of growing up". Your only a couple of years older than MY oldest child. So I understand both sides. Good luck & may the force be with you.
No mate, I pay for my own sub. I usually only play in holidays so I pay for a month and cancel sub afterwards. I use swagbucks and usually by the time of a holiday, I have enough to get $25 in paypal cash.

ImmortalLowlife
02.12.2014 , 03:48 PM | #19
Cool....well in that case, the journal will be your best option to get him off your back.

And If you think he's Trippin, wait till you try dating a female who's not a gamer.... everytime you look at a video game and she's like "you're always playing that game, you're not paying me any attention!" (Dang girl! It was a TV commercial! ) ROFLMAO

That's why I married a gamer lol
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

Server: The Shadowlands/ Guild~The Elite Imperial Guard & Order of the Light~

Kain_Turinbar
02.12.2014 , 03:50 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by leptir View Post
TLDR: Asian parents are ignorant stubborn ***** who dont give a **** about what their kids have to say.

And yes I've tried talking to him about how I feel once when he told me to delete all violent video games on my computer, because "violent games are more addictive"; it just turned out to be a huge argument with him screaming at me at the top of his lungs.

By the way happy australia day
Be thankful you have a parent that cares about your future success and well being rather than just going along with today's "let kids do whatever the **** they want" trend.