Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

New Star Wars MMO?


Froippi's Avatar


Froippi
01.25.2014 , 07:51 PM | #31
disregard this

WSRB's Avatar


WSRB
01.25.2014 , 08:08 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Froippi View Post
disregard this
I will not.

discbox's Avatar


discbox
01.25.2014 , 08:49 PM | #33
Just wait and watch how the next Star Wars games by EA fail... and see how Disney will licence it to other companies.

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
01.25.2014 , 08:51 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Shout out to ScarletBlaze for having just done the legwork on this one:
Yup, this section especially:
Quote:
(CNN) -- Electronic Arts will be the exclusive provider of games based on the Star Wars series, Disney and the game developer announced jointly on Monday.
Following Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm last year, it shut down the LucasArts game development division, indicating its preference to license console games rather than develop them in-house. Now, Electronic Arts will be the only publisher creating Star Wars games for a "core gaming audience," according to today's press release.
Electronic Arts said that its in-house game teams DICE (Battlefield) and Visceral (Dead Space) will work on Star Wars titles, in addition to BioWare, the team behind EA's existing Star Wars MMO The Old Republic.
PS, Zorvan - who so graciously "fixed" my post for me... that game IS being published by Disney.
Might want to look at the bottom of the page to see their logos.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Disney will "retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories."
Source of quotes: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/06/te...-ea/index.html
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Zorvan's Avatar


Zorvan
01.25.2014 , 09:29 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post


PS, Zorvan - who so graciously "fixed" my post for me... that game IS being published by Disney.
Might want to look at the bottom of the page to see their logos.
]
That's nice, even though it has nothing to do with your post that I fixed. Why don't you think about it a bit and come back? I'm going to assume you simply misunderstood something and aren't in fact serious.

I suggest reading the part of your post I bolded, then read my yellow response. Read them both multiple times if needed, there's no rush.

Here's a hint: do you see an EA logo?
Thinking of returning to SWToR as a subscriber, or want to subscribe for the first time?
Please use my referral so we both get cool stuff. Thanks.
http://www.swtor.com/r/V7xMPn

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
01.25.2014 , 09:41 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorvan View Post
That's nice, even though it has nothing to do with your post that I fixed. Why don't you think about it a bit and come back? I'm going to assume you simply misunderstood something and aren't in fact serious.

I suggest reading the part of your post I bolded, then read my yellow response. Read them both multiple times if needed, there's no rush.

Here's a hint: do you see an EA logo?
I'll spell it out, since apparently it is necessary.
Disney reserves the right to make online games with the Star Wars brand.
The game you linked is made by them. So it in no way supports your arguement that just about everyone will be allowed to do it - it is the exception that they spoke of themselves in the article.
And if that still goes above your head. Have a nice day.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Zorvan's Avatar


Zorvan
01.25.2014 , 09:51 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
I'll spell it out, since apparently it is necessary.
Disney reserves the right to make online games with the Star Wars brand.
The game you linked is made by them. So it in no way supports your arguement that just about everyone will be allowed to do it - it is the exception that they spoke of themselves in the article.
And if that still goes above your head. Have a nice day.
I'll spell it out. You're suffering from shortbus syndrome.

Let's take a look:

Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
It won't be a Star Wars MMO, EA has the license for the coming decade.

False. EA has the singleplayer license for the coming decade. Disney can license to whomever they want for online games. Case in point: http://www.starwarsattacksquadrons.com/
You say "EA has the license for the coming decade".

Obviously, they don't have THE license as ANOTHER DEVELOPER is making that game, Disney is publishing ( not making, as the developer is AREA 52 if you read the site more closely), and EA is nowhere to be found.

AREA 52 has been LICENSED to make that Star Wars game FOR Disney. So obviusly, Disney CAN HAND LICENSES TO WHOEVER THEY WISH, just as I said.

Now where did you see anywhere that I said Disney couldn't publish a Star Wars game? Could you please point that out?
Thinking of returning to SWToR as a subscriber, or want to subscribe for the first time?
Please use my referral so we both get cool stuff. Thanks.
http://www.swtor.com/r/V7xMPn

ScarletBlaze's Avatar


ScarletBlaze
01.25.2014 , 09:55 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorvan View Post
I'll spell it out. You're suffering from shortbus syndrome.

Let's take a look:



You say "EA has the license for the coming decade".

Obviously, they don't have THE license as ANOTHER DEVELOPER is making that game, Disney is publishing, and EA is nowhere to be found.

Now where did you see anywhere that I said Disney couldn't publish a Star Wars game? Could you please point that out?
I be careful calling Area 52 a developer because of this information I found about Area 52. They may claim to be a developer but a company that only has one game I would watch very carefully.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Area_52_Games



Area 52 Games is a Seattle-based mobile and PC game development studio. The company was founded in June 2013.[3]

The development studio has partnered with Disney Interactive Worlds to develop the upcoming browser-based PC game Star Wars: Attack Squadrons. Currently, Attack Squadrons is the only known game to be in development at Area 52.

It is very possible the reason they are making this game is this publisher could be part of Disney gaming community. such as the list here supports:


http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Categor...game_companies
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Zorvan's Avatar


Zorvan
01.25.2014 , 10:04 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
I be careful calling Area 52 a developer because of this information I found about Area 52. They may claim to be a developer but a company that only has one game I would watch very carefully.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Area_52_Games



Area 52 Games is a Seattle-based mobile and PC game development studio. The company was founded in June 2013.[3]

The development studio has partnered with Disney Interactive Worlds to develop the upcoming browser-based PC game Star Wars: Attack Squadrons. Currently, Attack Squadrons is the only known game to be in development at Area 52.

It is very possible the reason they are making this game is this publisher could be part of Disney gaming community. such as the list here supports:


http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Categor...game_companies
They're still the developer licensed to make the game and they're not owned or controlled as a company by Disney. Whether they turn out to be a good developer or not is a whole other discussion. I'm still waiting to see if I get a beta invite for the game. It looks a LOT better than GSF on paper, but I really want to see it for myself.
Thinking of returning to SWToR as a subscriber, or want to subscribe for the first time?
Please use my referral so we both get cool stuff. Thanks.
http://www.swtor.com/r/V7xMPn

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
01.25.2014 , 10:32 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorvan View Post
I'll spell it out. You're suffering from shortbus syndrome.

Let's take a look:



You say "EA has the license for the coming decade".

Obviously, they don't have THE license as ANOTHER DEVELOPER is making that game, Disney is publishing ( not making, as the developer is AREA 52 if you read the site more closely), and EA is nowhere to be found.

AREA 52 has been LICENSED to make that Star Wars game FOR Disney. So obviusly, Disney CAN HAND LICENSES TO WHOEVER THEY WISH, just as I said.

Now where did you see anywhere that I said Disney couldn't publish a Star Wars game? Could you please point that out?
And they are using it to make a browser game, which still falls under the terms of their agreement of what Disney can do with the license.
Sure, it's with another company helping them - but it's still part of what they agreed on, they haven't set some kind of precedent for handing the license to other companies that would compete in the area that they've "given" to EA.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!