Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Star Wars MMO?

WSRB
01.25.2014 , 05:50 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
It's more substantial then that. Personally, I have no emotional investment in SWG, nor SoE for that matter, simply pointing out that Smedley is persistent in what he does.. and yet.. there he is.. getting ready to in all likelihood do it again.

To pretend that they (SoE) are thoughtful and successful stewards of their MMO properties is kind of misguided IMO. And Smedley is at the helm.. so it's on his watch.

As for Smedley.. it's not the mishandling of any single MMO property, but rather the persistent mishandling of so many over such a long period of time. It's amazing that he has not gone the way of other executives that have been visible and public through the rise and fall of MMO properties ------> retirement.
So what exactly was mishandled and how was it mishandled? Please enlighten me, because I keep hearing that about every single MMO launched by any company in the last six or seven years. Seriously, anything and everything that has failed to become the next World of Warcraft is because "the game was absolutely brilliant, but company X mishandled it". At some point can we start looking at the fact the games themselves stopped innovating and started emulating?

What has Smedley and SOE done so significantly different from every other company in the MMO space? Please enlighten my feeble mind as to what properties Smedley has mishandled.

Pirates of the Burning Sea? Was there really a huge number of people that wanted a Pirate themed MMORPG? With a step learning curve to boot?

Wizardry Online? You have stated that a huge number of today's MMO players want hand-holdy with no challenge (perhaps not in those exact words but the sentiment was there), so how much demand is there for any MMO with permadeath, particularly in the done-to-death fantasy genre?

The Matrix Online and Vanguard? All SOE did was bring on other companies' broken games and do their best to try to fix them in a live environment. But you never get a second chance at a first impression: both of these titles were born dying and nothing was going to save them.

So again, please tell me what SOE has mishandled in a way any more meaningful than what every other MMO company has also managed to screw up? I'm not saying that Smedley and SOE are without sin: I'm saying that their sins are no different than anyone else's; they just take more heat for being just as bad at playing follow the leader as everyone else on their block.

Zorvan
01.25.2014 , 06:33 PM | #22
Interestingly, the trademark for Star Wars Galaxies has been renewed: http://i.imgur.com/1MgrqIj.png (That's going to give LA some bite if they decide to go after the emu in the future.)

Courtesy of this article regarding the Reddit AMA: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf.../403703/page/1

Telaan
01.25.2014 , 06:37 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
It won't be a Star Wars MMO, EA has the license for the coming decade.
Most likely it'll be a sci-fi sandbox game, in the spirit of SWG (minus all the mistakes) and he's counting on the SWG fans to support it.
Smed hoping for swg fans to support a project led by him and developed by SOE?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.……

……HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HA
Kype Lightwave/Telaan Lightwave -Pot5- "Pistols' RP Apprentice"
Telaan Lightwave Pre-CU Jedi Knight -JKO- Bloodfin
Master LS/Master Defender/Healing 2xxx/Enhancer xxx3

Zorvan
01.25.2014 , 06:49 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by WSRB View Post

The Matrix Online and Vanguard? All SOE did was bring on other companies' broken games and do their best to try to fix them in a live environment. But you never get a second chance at a first impression: both of these titles were born dying and nothing was going to save them.
Let's not forget, if Brad McQaid and Smedley hadn't been friends since the Verant days, Vanguard would have been dead and buried before it even released, as noone else would touch it after Microsoft dumped Sigil after MS finally forced McQaid to show them how much progress had been made with the millions MS had pumped into the project and all McQaid had to show was a quickly assembled mock up demo because although Vanguard had had development done, it was so haphazard and shoddy that nothing meshed and playing it online with more than 2-3 people was impossible.

The fact SOE devs were able to form a full game from Sigils' mess is a testament to SOEs' talent pool if nothing else.

DarthDymond
01.25.2014 , 06:59 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorvan View Post
Interestingly, the trademark for Star Wars Galaxies has been renewed: http://i.imgur.com/1MgrqIj.png (That's going to give LA some bite if they decide to go after the emu in the future.)

Courtesy of this article regarding the Reddit AMA: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf.../403703/page/1
It's not all that interesting I'm afraid. Trademarks have to be renewed every ten years, LucasArts renews all of its video game marks regardless of whether they have new games/re-releases planned:
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Star Wars Galaxies:
Registration Date: January 2004
Renewal Date: December 2013

Rogue Squadron:
Registration Date: June 2000
Renewal Date: June 2010

Jedi Power Battles:
Registration Date: August 2001
Renewal Date: August 2011
etc., etc., etc.,
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

Wefi
01.25.2014 , 07:08 PM | #26
That makes sense.

Oh well, what ever it is, i am waiting to see.
Ex-SWG clientside Modder. Creator of Super Jedi. Fixing what is broken since 2004.

AmagonofBloodfin
01.25.2014 , 07:22 PM | #27
oh right because I am going to go back to giving smedly my money, yea BW/EA may not be the greatest but I am not suicidal.

and you forget SWG players already have a new SWG. The Repopulation. look it up.

Zorvan
01.25.2014 , 07:32 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
It's not all that interesting I'm afraid. Trademarks have to be renewed every ten years, LucasArts renews all of its video game marks regardless of whether they have new games/re-releases planned:
No doubt. As I said, I think it's the emu that should be worried. SOE and George may have looked the other way, Disney is much more protective of its properties.

Froippi
01.25.2014 , 07:38 PM | #29
i only remember EA getting a contract for 3 new star wars game nothing about a exclusive contract for star wars games

DarthDymond
01.25.2014 , 07:41 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Froippi View Post
i only remember EA getting a contract for 3 new star wars game nothing about a exclusive contract for star wars games
Shout out to ScarletBlaze for having just done the legwork on this one:
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here