Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dark side/light side points cap

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Dark side/light side points cap

Cias
12.23.2011 , 04:47 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by BladedEdge View Post
Ok, I've absolutely no idea what to believe. On this forum alone since the stress-test weekend I've heard that alignment points...

...track separately, I.e. if I have 1k points in dark and 1k in light, then I will qualify for dark 1 and light 1.
..are based on the running total, so if I have 1k dark points, and 50 light I won't qualify for anything. and thus need 1050 dark points to hit dark 1 assuming no more light points are earned.
...are caped, so if I make a mistake I'll never be able to hit dark 5/light 5.
...eat into each other once one hits 10k.
...???

I've absolutely no idea what to believe at this point. People are saying one thing, and others immediately disagree/say something else. Is there some dev comment on this out there? Some facts put down on a 3rd-party website that should be reputable? (if any such exist right now) or is the game just so young and the system not well documented enough that no one really knows?
the points subtract from each other, say you have 100 light side points, then get 100 dark side points, you will be at 0 alignment. you cannot rank up both sides, not yet anyway. bioware has said they plan on adding "grey alignment" gear for people who like to pick whatever they feel is best at that moment.

Oldmaveric
12.23.2011 , 04:50 AM | #22
this is kinda the way Mass Effect was, you had to be good or bad full time to even get the options you wanted to get early on, I'm not suprised they make the same mistake on this game to be honest. I saw this comming....

Tunari
12.23.2011 , 05:02 AM | #23
You can reach rank V even if you make opposite choices few times. I had a few (flirting) dark points, and my guardian is rank V light currently.
Sure you wont get any more light points at 10000 but if you take a step back to 9950 and then make a good choice, you are back at 10k.

Kubernetic
12.23.2011 , 07:30 AM | #24
I fully support the OP's position. This is a poor decision from a design point (if it exists) and should be repaired.

My trooper will be flawed as a result of this unless I stop (at level 26+) and re-roll it, according to what some are saying here.

However, others are saying that it does work, and once you reach your maximum cap on one side, it starts to remove those points from the opposite side, allowing you to move all the way TO the cap. If that's true, then there really isn't an issue after all.

Let's hope on the latter option!
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

Starsz
12.23.2011 , 08:22 AM | #25
Please read the whole thread.. people are saying they HAVE GONE to Dark V (as I have) with lighside points. If you have 10k darkside and 200 ligh side, you will be at 9800, then you get 10200 with 200 you will have 10k and dark V.

Once you get another 100 dark points, you will be at 10k with 100 lighside etc.

I have this DONE ON THE LIVE SERVERS so please stop "theorising" and emoing about something you have no idea about :P

Esmartuek
12.24.2011 , 10:59 AM | #26
A QUICK AND EASY FIX could be making some high tier Neutral Gear or Relics, only usable to those in a dedicated neutral spectrum.

The game is FAR from being finalized guys and gals. I forward my suggestion to the GMs and would be best if all of you do the same, the earlier the better.
"[to move forward] you must unlearn what you have learned." Yoda

acheros
12.24.2011 , 11:02 AM | #27
Wait, you HAVE to be fully capped to ever get DS/LS V? I was under the impression that there would be more then enough points to get it if you made a mistake here or there. I accidently pressed the wrong button ONCE and got 50 lightside points(going for darkside, obviously) and now i'm utterly screwed? Thats bs.

Lord-Azoth-Dryke
12.24.2011 , 02:27 PM | #28
For some reason I was under the impression, that you can change your alignment through Flashpoints later on as well. It would be a lot of work but possible. I guess I was miss-informed.

I hope they change it to that model though. there should be only one bar that moves to positive or negative depending on choices. not by the sum of dark and light side points.
"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan, and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."

FSEric
12.24.2011 , 02:31 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by ninoss View Post
The thing is you can't reach max if you got ANY points of opposite alignment. NEVER. You can only move further away from your chosen alignment.

I wonder if it's just a bug or actually intended.
would be a bug if it were true, but it's not. At 10,000 dark 100 light your net is -9900, but if you get any more dark side it takes away from the light, making it 10,000 dark, 0 light.

That said, I can't see myself ever using the dark V gear, if you make one light choice you're SOL until you find some more dark points, which basically forces you to make dark choices for the rest of the game, which may make your companions hate you, or make your story arc in a way you didn't really want.

Dark V (same for light, obviously) should start at -9500, so that when you're capped you can still make decisions, and would make the dark V gear/speeder a lot more viable, since one choice wouldn't render them useless.

Seifz
12.24.2011 , 02:33 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by acheros View Post
Wait, you HAVE to be fully capped to ever get DS/LS V? I was under the impression that there would be more then enough points to get it if you made a mistake here or there. I accidently pressed the wrong button ONCE and got 50 lightside points(going for darkside, obviously) and now i'm utterly screwed? Thats bs.
No, you're fine. You'll just have to reach 10050 DS points to hit DS V. The OP is wrong.