FTP vs. Sub for casual play?

Grendel_Prime

Here's the thing. I've been a sub for 2 years + (since the beta leading in to release) and I enjoyed the game quite a bit. Two years down the road though and there's nothing on the horizon to make me want to keep playing once ESO hits in April.

So I'm just wondering, has anyone here gone sub to FTP (and back) and if it's okay for casual play. I don't plan on quitting but I'd rather pay a sub for a game that will give me at least a year if not more of new things to do, new places to explore and new methods of playing.

It depends on your playstyle and most of all the number of characters you want to use.

If you want to raid and do not want to spend time on grinding money for an operation pass, you should sub.

If you want to keep a pool of more than 6 chars, you should sub.

It depends on your playstyle and most of all the number of characters you want to use.

If you want to raid and do not want to spend time on grinding money for an operation pass, you should sub.

If you want to keep a pool of more than 6 chars, you should sub.

I understand that, but I've done all that (sub since launch). I'm just wondering since my interest has dropped way off to the point where I play an hour or so a week, if FTP is better for me or not.

Well, I'd imagine if you've done all the classes you have an interest in and have run out if stuff to do the free to play would probably be the way forward for you, just make sure you have plenty of credits for unlocks from the gtn. That being said, if you ever find a time where you want to level another alt, or significant new story content is released, getting a sub is recommended for the process.

I appreciate that you're probably psyched for ESO, however let me forewarn you, having been in the recent betas I can tell you will no uncertainty that the game is utter garbage. I keep an open mind for testing games but the things that are wrong with the game are too late in development to resolve. There is literally nothing pleasing about it at all, and I guarantee you it's going to be a disaster when it releases. My advice to you would be wise with your money and just wait and see, listen to the critics and user feedback and after that, if you still feel you want to try it out maybe give it a whirl if you're really that determined to see for yourself, but I would brace for bitter disappointment were I you.

I don't know what else to suggest. WoW is a better game that TOR overall, but it's a horrible grind to the endgame and I get the feeling you've probably played it before and there's nothing left for you there, aside from that the game doesn't look as nice as TOR. There's Rift I suppose, it's a good MMO and has a free to play model now, it also has a nicer looking engine than WoW, but again is a generic grind 'em up to endgame, and once you're there the endgame is much like TOR in the fact that it's kinda 'meh', but at least the publishers and developers really do listen to their community and the QoL issues are always addressed very quickly. There are other MMOs but they've never appealed to me, Tera in particular is lacks any sense of class, and I would urge you to avoid it. Your call though.

Overall the MMO market is pretty stagnant these days, however, the next two years are going to see the release of some superb single player titles, games like Banished, Pillars of Eternity, The Mandate, Satellite Reign, Stasis, The new homeworld game 'shipbreakers', astrobase command to name but a few, all of these and more have huge enjoyment potential if it turns out they meet their ambition upon release.

There's always Dota too, if you like having high blood pressure and swearing a lot.

I understand that, but I've done all that (sub since launch). I'm just wondering since my interest has dropped way off to the point where I play an hour or so a week, if FTP is better for me or not.

If you get all the proper unlocks the only real difference between F2P and sub is end game content. So really if you're playing so little then having a sub is a waste.

I appreciate that you're probably psyched for ESO, however let me forewarn you, having been in the recent betas I can tell you will no uncertainty that the game is utter garbage. I keep an open mind for testing games but the things that are wrong with the game are too late in development to resolve. There is literally nothing pleasing about it at all, and I guarantee you it's going to be a disaster when it releases. My advice to you would be wise with your money and just wait and see, listen to the critics and user feedback and after that, if you still feel you want to try it out maybe give it a whirl if you're really that determined to see for yourself, but I would brace for bitter disappointment were I you.

I was in the last beta and that's why I'm excited for it. Given that there's an NDA I know we can't go into details as to what I enjoyed or what you disliked so much but to each their own. The bottom line though was that it feels like an Elder Scrolls game (with allowances for MMO-ness) and that's enough for me.

I don't know what else to suggest. WoW is a better game that TOR overall, but it's a horrible grind to the endgame and I get the feeling you've probably played it before and there's nothing left for you there, aside from that the game doesn't look as nice as TOR. [/Quote]

WoW is an option (I have the game and everything, just need to re-activate) but I'm not that big a fan of it. It's way, way too "grind-y" and the "art" tends to make my eyes bleed. I also never seemed to feel as connected to my characters as I do in TOR. Not sure if it's because of the voice acting or the individual class stories or what but my TOR characters seem more like conventional table-top RPG characters as I guide them through the story.

Overall the MMO market is pretty stagnant these days, however, the next two years are going to see the release of some superb single player titles, games like Banished, Pillars of Eternity, The Mandate, Satellite Reign, Stasis, The new homeworld game 'shipbreakers', astrobase command to name but a few, all of these and more have huge enjoyment potential if it turns out they meet their ambition upon release.[/Quote]

Single player games for me are very limited on the PC. XCom, Sims3 and that's it. Anything else for single player I do on the PS3.

Thanks for the insight:)

Here's the thing. I've been a sub for 2 years + (since the beta leading in to release) and I enjoyed the game quite a bit. Two years down the road though and there's nothing on the horizon to make me want to keep playing once ESO hits in April.

So I'm just wondering, has anyone here gone sub to FTP (and back) and if it's okay for casual play. I don't plan on quitting but I'd rather pay a sub for a game that will give me at least a year if not more of new things to do, new places to explore and new methods of playing.

Quite a few players have gone F2P, and quite a few have gone back to their subs afterwards, one of the things that keeps popping up is that on a sub you don't have to worry about anything, and when you create a new character you don't have to buy any unlocks for it.

But since warzones and Flashpoints no longer have limits for F2P it's just a matter of taste.

Why not try FFXIV:ARB if you have a PS3? Or Guild Wars 2 on your PC? (Assuming of course you want other MMOs). You could also branch out and try something like DayZ or Rust.

But yea, if you go preferred status, keep in mind that you will have a credit cap. 350k per character, plus you can't send money between toons. You can also only send 1 item (or stack) per mail. And your GTN slots will be limited so GTN slot unlocks are a must. And no artifact items until you buy the unlock (also locked out of some event stuff unless you buy the unlock and no character customization though you can keep the ones you already have). And no color unification.

These are my biggest reasons for subbing. Overall, not too bad since I have all the unlocks for my account. I just want full access to the GTN to buy some CM stuff but I'm going to go back to preferred status soon unless a new pack comes out with a cool mount or something I really want. You still have full access to story content though!

Also, if you want new toons of a different species like Mirialan or Sith Pureblood, create them now! Because otherwise you will need to buy the race unlocks.

The bottom line though was that it feels like an Elder Scrolls game

We are definitely going to have to agree to disagree there, but to each their own, and if you get enjoyment from it then more power to you.

Single player games for me are very limited on the PC. XCom, Sims3 and that's it. Anything else for single player I do on the PS3.

Whilst i agree that there is a great deal of satisfaction and contentment to be had from being able to stretch out and fully relax whilst gaming, I fear you may be hamstringing yourself a little by getting the overwhelming majority of your Single Player fix from consoles. HOWEVER! With the impending advent of the Steam Box, the disparity between console gaming and pc gaming will be smaller than it has ever been.

Friendly tip; don't get excited for ESO, been playing the beta and it's an atrocious game. I'm both an mmo player and a TES player and they failed both genres.

Friendly tip; don't get excited for ESO, been playing the beta and it's an atrocious game. I'm both an mmo player and a TES player and they failed both genres.

As I mentioned early, playing the beta for ESO is exactly why I'm debating dropping my sub to TOR. I found it highly enjoyable in ways that TOR simply isn't for me anymore.

Each MMO is going to have it's detractors and it's champions. I know people who love, love, love WoW or LOTRO or DCU Online or Tera or Guild Wars or whatever. I know just as many people who will swear up and and down that this game or that game should never have been released and will bring out the apocalypse.

I guess my bottom line is that any new MMO will offer me more for my sub that TOR does right now. Note - right now. I can play ESO for a year or whatever and if, in that time, there's actually new content for TOR I can switch back if I feel ESO isn't offering me fun for my entertainment dollars. In the two years I've been subbing there's been precious little to extend the life of TOR for me and I think that's what it comes down to.

The input here has been great though. I completely forgot about the "Preferred" status and I've got 4 months to stockpile my "free" CC in case there is something I want since I'll continue subbing up until then.

Thanks all

Why not try FFXIV:ARB if you have a PS3? Or Guild Wars 2 on your PC? (Assuming of course you want other MMOs). You could also branch out and try something like DayZ or Rust.

But yea, if you go preferred status, keep in mind that you will have a credit cap. 350k per character, plus you can't send money between toons. You can also only send 1 item (or stack) per mail. And your GTN slots will be limited so GTN slot unlocks are a must. And no artifact items until you buy the unlock (also locked out of some event stuff unless you buy the unlock and no character customization though you can keep the ones you already have). And no color unification.

These are my biggest reasons for subbing. Overall, not too bad since I have all the unlocks for my account. I just want full access to the GTN to buy some CM stuff but I'm going to go back to preferred status soon unless a new pack comes out with a cool mount or something I really want. You still have full access to story content though!

Also, if you want new toons of a different species like Mirialan or Sith Pureblood, create them now! Because otherwise you will need to buy the race unlocks.

Aside from ESO, there's another mmo coming out based on the legacy of Kain series soon. But if you're barely playing swtor anyway I'd say go preferred & see if you like it. If your anything like me, there are still a lot of PS3 games I haven't played yet too.

Good luck in whatever you choose tho.

Aside from ESO, there's another mmo coming out based on the legacy of Kain series soon. But if you're barely playing swtor anyway I'd say go preferred & see if you like it. If your anything like me, there are still a lot of PS3 games I haven't played yet too.

Good luck in whatever you choose tho.

I'm not familiar with the Legacy of Kain (so to wikipedia I go!!). I'm curious about the (eventual) World of Darkness MMO as well.

I was initially debating asking people's opinions on FTP vs. Sub because I didn't want to come off as "TOR Sucks I'm quitting!!!". I am currently ambivalent about it, which may be worse. I don't doubt I'll resub when there's new content. New Planets, new class stories (or new classes!!). A meaty expansion pack would be amazing! Even if I had to pay "standard" expansion prices. By this time in LOTRO's cycle they had two "real" expansions (Mines of Moria and Siege of Mirkwood) and perhaps this lack of forward movement on TOR is what's weighing on my mind more than anything else.

Well, I'd imagine if you've done all the classes you have an interest in and have run out if stuff to do the free to play would probably be the way forward for you, just make sure you have plenty of credits for unlocks from the gtn. That being said, if you ever find a time where you want to level another alt, or significant new story content is released, getting a sub is recommended for the process.

I don't know what else to suggest. WoW is a better game that TOR overall, but it's a horrible grind to the endgame and I get the feeling you've probably played it before and there's nothing left for you there, aside from that the game doesn't look as nice as TOR. There's Rift I suppose, it's a good MMO and has a free to play model now, it also has a nicer looking engine than WoW, but again is a generic grind 'em up to endgame, and once you're there the endgame is much like TOR in the fact that it's kinda 'meh', but at least the publishers and developers really do listen to their community and the QoL issues are always addressed very quickly. There are other MMOs but they've never appealed to me, Tera in particular is lacks any sense of class, and I would urge you to avoid it. Your call though.

Overall the MMO market is pretty stagnant these days, however, the next two years are going to see the release of some superb single player titles, games like Banished, Pillars of Eternity, The Mandate, Satellite Reign, Stasis, The new homeworld game 'shipbreakers', astrobase command to name but a few, all of these and more have huge enjoyment potential if it turns out they meet their ambition upon release.

There's always Dota too, if you like having high blood pressure and swearing a lot.

You and I sir are of a very similar mind.

As I mentioned early, playing the beta for ESO is exactly why I'm debating dropping my sub to TOR. I found it highly enjoyable in ways that TOR simply isn't for me anymore.

Each MMO is going to have it's detractors and it's champions. I know people who love, love, love WoW or LOTRO or DCU Online or Tera or Guild Wars or whatever. I know just as many people who will swear up and and down that this game or that game should never have been released and will bring out the apocalypse.

I guess my bottom line is that any new MMO will offer me more for my sub that TOR does right now. Note - right now. I can play ESO for a year or whatever and if, in that time, there's actually new content for TOR I can switch back if I feel ESO isn't offering me fun for my entertainment dollars. In the two years I've been subbing there's been precious little to extend the life of TOR for me and I think that's what it comes down to.

The input here has been great though. I completely forgot about the "Preferred" status and I've got 4 months to stockpile my "free" CC in case there is something I want since I'll continue subbing up until then.

Thanks all

I admit, I am utterly amazed that anyone can enjoy ESO, especially if they've played other MMOs or TES games. All of the other games you mentioned I have enjoyed and preferred over ESO, it's literally the only MMO I played that I found no value in (Although TERA just had no soul, great combat though).

I wish you the best of luck though, suggest you keep an eye on Wildstar and EQNext, those are likely to be the next good MMOs.

I admit, I am utterly amazed that anyone can enjoy ESO, especially if they've played other MMOs or TES games. All of the other games you mentioned I have enjoyed and preferred over ESO, it's literally the only MMO I played that I found no value in (Although TERA just had no soul, great combat though).

I wish you the best of luck though, suggest you keep an eye on Wildstar and EQNext, those are likely to be the next good MMOs.

Wildstar doesn't appeal to me from what I've seen although EQNext looks interesting. I'd be very curious as to what you dislike do much about ESO. Feel free to message me, since I'm pretty sure our NDA prevents us from discussin openly.

... there's another mmo coming out based on the legacy of Kain series soon.

Nosgoth, yeah. They're keeping a tight lid on a lot of stuff though, which in my book is worrying, especially from one of my beloved IPs - even in spite of it's absolutely brain hemorrhage inducing storyline.

OP, one thing I forgot to mention earlier. Not sure if it will appeal as it has a very 'niche' market, but Wurm Online is good if you like to make things and carve your own corner in the world. It's made in Java so it's resource intensive (your CPU is going to take a hammering) and it looks... well, not the best. That said it is fun and a change of pace and you can have some pretty special moments with it, although at times it can start to feel like a second job/life. other variants would be Mortal Online which arguably looks better however is a bug fest and there isn't the same kind of creative freedom. Rust is another alternative, looks better than Wurm and plays a good bit smoother so far, but it is very Alpha and, much like DayZ, has a pretty ruthless community - there is also a lot of dong going on. EQ Next has been mentioned on this thread already and looks set to potentially topple Wurm as the king of the MMO build-em ups if it lives up to the hype when it arrives.