Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guard!!! The Tanking ability most DPS need, but most healers cry out for!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Guard!!! The Tanking ability most DPS need, but most healers cry out for!

Macio
02.03.2014 , 04:25 AM | #21
I did a flashpoint on my Vanguard tank two days ago.
before we started healer was demanding guard as protection from adds. Throughout whole flashpoint he was hit maybe few times on one pack when i didn't tanked that well but he lost max 1/3 file and this one only pack for whole flashpoint that he got hit from adds.

Midway thru the flashpoint as asked him does he still thinks he needs that guard, he never replayed.

When we finished he said:
"You should of guard me as I had least health"
and then he quickly left the group.
Golfik of Polish Galactic Legion on The Red Eclipse UE PGL
Golfik - Level 55 Gunslinger
My Youtube channel with Swtor movies: http://www.youtube.com/user/maciopoka
My Torparse logs: Torparse

AAAAzrael
02.03.2014 , 08:31 AM | #22
Macio you surely know polish writer who said "Before I knew the Internet I didn't know there were so many idiots out there." :-)

There are lots of people whose fault is not that they don't understand game mechanics, it's that they don't understand and they think they do. I stopped complaining on my healers if I do any FP as I always get a guard from randoms.
Ingalaarn - kinetic / balance shadow / Ji'kiley - SS/DF gunslinger
Joshased - guardian tank / Xartanol - combat medic

Manticore @ The Red Eclipse

Macio
02.03.2014 , 09:26 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by AAAAzrael View Post
Macio you surely know polish writer who said "Before I knew the Internet I didn't know there were so many idiots out there." :-)

There are lots of people whose fault is not that they don't understand game mechanics, it's that they don't understand and they think they do. I stopped complaining on my healers if I do any FP as I always get a guard from randoms.
I don't know this writer even though i know a lot of them, but he speak the truth ...
Golfik of Polish Galactic Legion on The Red Eclipse UE PGL
Golfik - Level 55 Gunslinger
My Youtube channel with Swtor movies: http://www.youtube.com/user/maciopoka
My Torparse logs: Torparse

Ergecrs
02.03.2014 , 09:49 AM | #24
I'm just going to say as a 50% min/max 78 DPS. If I see a tank that guards the healer I play a simple game of Sage Tank and burn as many cool downs as possible on the first boss pulling threat. I find it hilarious. Now if I have a tank that guards me or another geared dps I will kindly drop threat as well as let the tank build before nuking a boss. I don't need to do the FP's they have nothing for me but fun. I figure its a learning experience for some of the players to see what end game dps is like for threat.

What I really find amusing is when you run into a really bad tank that can't hold agro and I am actually threat droping on cooldown even force barrier and they start ************ in party. That makes me laugh. Sorry tank rant. But I do love a good tank like the op sounds to be.

Xakthul
02.03.2014 , 10:02 AM | #25
My solution is this: You get one tank to queue as Tank, and another to queue as DPS. Then you guard the healer AND the DPS, and everybody stops b*tching.
Lord J'mpok Mogh
His Story: Sith Happens
The Powers of Time Lost: That Different RP Idea
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf, Return of the King

Dontelar
02.03.2014 , 02:05 PM | #26
As someone who mostly plays a healer, I find that I rarely get much use from guard, and almost always am guarded anyways. I usually just watch who is pulling the most aggro during the first few fights, and ask the tank to guard them instead. Occasionally, the tank even listens to me. Most of the time though, it doesn't look like guard will be doing anyone much good (either a good tank that keeps his aggro, or a lousy tank that couldn't keep it while using guard anyways) so then I don't say anything, and just let it be.

One other thing I want to say: DPS should absolutely NOT be guarding the tank...

Xakthul
02.03.2014 , 03:10 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Dontelar View Post
One other thing I want to say: DPS should absolutely NOT be guarding the tank...
I didn't say they should, lol.
Lord J'mpok Mogh

Dontelar
02.03.2014 , 03:17 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Xakthul View Post
I didn't say they should, lol.
Sorry, the "guarding the tank" bit wasn't directed at you.

I just had someone doing that for an entire FP earlier today. I lost track of how many times we told him not to. We'd tell him, he'd remove the guard, then put it back during the next fight.

Xakthul
02.03.2014 , 03:40 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Dontelar View Post
Sorry, the "guarding the tank" bit wasn't directed at you.

I just had someone doing that for an entire FP earlier today. I lost track of how many times we told him not to. We'd tell him, he'd remove the guard, then put it back during the next fight.
lol. The only time I guard a tank is in PvP, and he's usually got Guard on me, too. If that doesn't make sense, then good. I do it when I'm in a trolling mood.
Lord J'mpok Mogh

Halinalle
02.03.2014 , 04:07 PM | #30
Today I did Athiss with my Powertech who was level 19 at the time. There was level 24 Marauder in the group so it wasn't even hard to decide who I should Guard.

Two years ago when I was still a noob and tanked in FPs for our guild I always guarded melee dps. I don't know why I did that. I didn't know about the math behind all this.