Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

RP Servers and savage PvP


Arnianor's Avatar


Arnianor
01.22.2014 , 04:31 PM | #1
/rant_mode="on"

Dear Players on RP servers, at least to those located in Europe (as BioWare won't listen anyway),
It has come to my attention (by experience) that quite a lot of you don't appreciate the open PvP part of the game.

When I do some savage PvP, especially during events, it is quite an habit to get insulted in many different ways (which I won't report here, there is no need for obscenity), or being told some extremely Role Play things (please note the sarcasm) such as "This is not a PvP server, this is RP Server. If you want to savage PvP, go PvP on another server!" (ok, this is not an exact quote, it has been smoothed).

First, let me explain how incoherent your complains are. This game happens to evolve in some previously existing universe: Star Wars. As you may have noticed, in the very name of the universe, there is the word "Wars" which until proof of the opposite means people actually fighting one on another, and such. In the synopsis of this game, our two factions are on an open war and, even though there is the treaty of Coruscant, many planets our character evolve on are actually in a battlefield state.
So could you please explain me where is the role play in a Sith crossing a Jedi on some battlefield, wave the hand to say hello, and just let him go? What is the point of a soldier seeing an imperial agent doing some dirty business and well, ignore him, because he's not just some random NPC but a real player?
I for myself find it extremely out of the role play. A Sith Lord would definitely try to kill a Jedi on the battlefield unless he has some really special purpose not to do so, and a soldier would always stop the devil's agent at work.
To be honest, RP-PvE servers are illogical and hypocritical due to the reason aforementioned.

This said, I understand in the US you have one RP-PvP server. But in Europe, players don't have this opportunity. They can't even transfer to the US because changing region is impossible at that time. Hence, there is either RP-PvE or pure PvP. Players which would like to chose RP-PvP are then in face of a dilemma:
Pure PvP with lots of savage PvP opportunities (which I truly love), or RP-PvE with less savage PvP but a stronger community, and possibly under the RP thing an understanding for savage PvP at least during events?
I chose the latter, and I have to admit I sometimes regret the lack of savage PvP. And players like minded will jump on events with some included PvP to be able to do so.
Therefore, if you're on a European RP server, you might think about the fact there is no RP-PvP servers in Europe, so this might be the reason we jump on events to do some savage PvP; and to US players on RP-PvE servers, well, if you can't stand the fact that two factions are at war, why are you on a RP server on the first place then?

/rant_mode="off"

SammyGStatus's Avatar


SammyGStatus
01.22.2014 , 04:34 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Arnianor View Post
/rant_mode="on"

Dear Players on RP servers, at least to those located in Europe (as BioWare won't listen anyway),
It has come to my attention (by experience) that quite a lot of you don't appreciate the open PvP part of the game.

When I do some savage PvP, especially during events, it is quite an habit to get insulted in many different ways (which I won't report here, there is no need for obscenity), or being told some extremely Role Play things (please note the sarcasm) such as "This is not a PvP server, this is RP Server. If you want to savage PvP, go PvP on another server!" (ok, this is not an exact quote, it has been smoothed).

First, let me explain how incoherent your complains are. This game happens to evolve in some previously existing universe: Star Wars. As you may have noticed, in the very name of the universe, there is the word "Wars" which until proof of the opposite means people actually fighting one on another, and such. In the synopsis of this game, our two factions are on an open war and, even though there is the treaty of Coruscant, many planets our character evolve on are actually in a battlefield state.
So could you please explain me where is the role play in a Sith crossing a Jedi on some battlefield, wave the hand to say hello, and just let him go? What is the point of a soldier seeing an imperial agent doing some dirty business and well, ignore him, because he's not just some random NPC but a real player?
I for myself find it extremely out of the role play. A Sith Lord would definitely try to kill a Jedi on the battlefield unless he has some really special purpose not to do so, and a soldier would always stop the devil's agent at work.
To be honest, RP-PvE servers are illogical and hypocritical due to the reason aforementioned.

This said, I understand in the US you have one RP-PvP server. But in Europe, players don't have this opportunity. They can't even transfer to the US because changing region is impossible at that time. Hence, there is either RP-PvE or pure PvP. Players which would like to chose RP-PvP are then in face of a dilemma:
Pure PvP with lots of savage PvP opportunities (which I truly love), or RP-PvE with less savage PvP but a stronger community, and possibly under the RP thing an understanding for savage PvP at least during events?
I chose the latter, and I have to admit I sometimes regret the lack of savage PvP. And players like minded will jump on events with some included PvP to be able to do so.
Therefore, if you're on a European RP server, you might think about the fact there is no RP-PvP servers in Europe, so this might be the reason we jump on events to do some savage PvP; and to US players on RP-PvE servers, well, if you can't stand the fact that two factions are at war, why are you on a RP server on the first place then?

/rant_mode="off"
Isn't there a ceasefire because of the Treaty of Coruscant?
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

Arnianor's Avatar


Arnianor
01.22.2014 , 04:53 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SammyGStatus View Post
Isn't there a ceasefire because of the Treaty of Coruscant?
Really small spoilers but to respect other players:

Spoiler

JPryde's Avatar


JPryde
01.22.2014 , 05:35 PM | #4
You are perfectly allowed to dp your savage PvP on an RP server, but please do not hide behind a silly RP claim of warfare. You do it to PvP not to roleplay and you know it.
And there are numerous situations, where a sith would not engage in a fight for good roleplay reasons. You decide to roleplay a savage... fine.

Hopefully you are not doing it the old "thief" way.
(since the beginning of MMOs, people tried to steal from other players with every possible means, such as scamming... and when confronted with their behaviour, they claimed to roleplay a "bad guy". None of them however also still played the bad guy, when a bunch of good guys united to capture and imprison that bad guy. They wanted to steal... but only as long as there was no possible punishement for stealing)

So again... do your PvP, but please do not hide behind calling it roleplay.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

SevenVirtues's Avatar


SevenVirtues
01.22.2014 , 05:36 PM | #5
I'm too tired to read that, but we were doing the Rakghoul heroic today a group of 3 of us. Some Imp ran into our AoE attacks and we became flagged for PvP. He then stood over our bodies and killed us every time we respawned. After several attempts we just gave up.

This is an example of the worst kind of player, intentionally ruining the game for others and they need to do something about it. I switched sides and went back as an Imp and he was doing it to other people.

Up until this point I have seen players from both factions doing the event with good community spirit, even helping kill something when someone was about to die, so it's not everyone, but an event like this when we are all together they need to make adjustments to the PvP flagging.

PandaKeeper's Avatar


PandaKeeper
01.22.2014 , 06:31 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Arnianor View Post
/rant_mode="on"

Dear Players on RP servers, at least to those located in Europe (as BioWare won't listen anyway),
It has come to my attention (by experience) that quite a lot of you don't appreciate the open PvP part of the game.

When I do some savage PvP, especially during events, it is quite an habit to get insulted in many different ways (which I won't report here, there is no need for obscenity), or being told some extremely Role Play things (please note the sarcasm) such as "This is not a PvP server, this is RP Server. If you want to savage PvP, go PvP on another server!" (ok, this is not an exact quote, it has been smoothed).

First, let me explain how incoherent your complains are. This game happens to evolve in some previously existing universe: Star Wars. As you may have noticed, in the very name of the universe, there is the word "Wars" which until proof of the opposite means people actually fighting one on another, and such. In the synopsis of this game, our two factions are on an open war and, even though there is the treaty of Coruscant, many planets our character evolve on are actually in a battlefield state.
So could you please explain me where is the role play in a Sith crossing a Jedi on some battlefield, wave the hand to say hello, and just let him go? What is the point of a soldier seeing an imperial agent doing some dirty business and well, ignore him, because he's not just some random NPC but a real player?
I for myself find it extremely out of the role play. A Sith Lord would definitely try to kill a Jedi on the battlefield unless he has some really special purpose not to do so, and a soldier would always stop the devil's agent at work.
To be honest, RP-PvE servers are illogical and hypocritical due to the reason aforementioned.

This said, I understand in the US you have one RP-PvP server. But in Europe, players don't have this opportunity. They can't even transfer to the US because changing region is impossible at that time. Hence, there is either RP-PvE or pure PvP. Players which would like to chose RP-PvP are then in face of a dilemma:
Pure PvP with lots of savage PvP opportunities (which I truly love), or RP-PvE with less savage PvP but a stronger community, and possibly under the RP thing an understanding for savage PvP at least during events?
I chose the latter, and I have to admit I sometimes regret the lack of savage PvP. And players like minded will jump on events with some included PvP to be able to do so.
Therefore, if you're on a European RP server, you might think about the fact there is no RP-PvP servers in Europe, so this might be the reason we jump on events to do some savage PvP; and to US players on RP-PvE servers, well, if you can't stand the fact that two factions are at war, why are you on a RP server on the first place then?

/rant_mode="off"
If you are on an RP-PVE server and "manipulating" game mechanics to work in your favor in order to grief, that doesnt have anything to do with roleplay and do not sit here straight faced and try to tell us it does. If youre on an RP-PVP server then fine, PVP all you want. If you are one of the *****s who runs into lowbie AOE's on a PVE server just so you can gank them -- I hope a black van drives up and takes you off, only for someone to discover your dried husk of a body somewhere in a desert in a few months....

This particular event going on now should have never had both sides in the same enclosed open world area. Period. That doesnt even begin to cover the insane mechanic that it is even possible to "Trick" someone into flagging themselves PVP in the first place. And I dont want to hear a single word about "oh well u shud hav been watchin wat u r doin" -- shut up. No one should be forced not to use one of their basic class skills just so they wont get ganked because of a stupid design decision.

Taorus's Avatar


Taorus
01.22.2014 , 06:42 PM | #7
Isn't PvP on a Rp server like swimming in the kiddie pool?

Arnianor's Avatar


Arnianor
01.23.2014 , 05:35 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SevenVirtues View Post
they need to make adjustments to the PvP flagging.
I'll give you that, the PvP flagging is a bit sensitive. And even if I attack only flagged players, it is often the case that if the player is in a group, the remaining of the group will get flagged pretty fast. Well, I do also switch instance from time to time so I do not kill only the same guys over and over again, but I don't think many PvPers do so.

Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
please do not hide behind a silly RP claim of warfare. You do it to PvP not to roleplay and you know it.
Right, I do PvP because I want to. But sorry, this is also RP, no matter what.

Quote: Originally Posted by PandaKeeper View Post
I hope a black van drives up and takes you off, only for someone to discover your dried husk of a body somewhere in a desert in a few months....
This particular event going on now should have never had both sides in the same enclosed open world area. Period.
What aggressive. Oh, and by the way: create a RP-PvP server for Europeans, so we can do it on a server with good rules. Until then, stop complaining. Period.
Because about this exact point, you can trust me: if I had the opportunity to switch to RP-PvP server, I would do it without hesitation. The point is: I, and many other players, don't have this option because BioWare doesn't make it available to us. And re-roll on the US server? Common, you can't be serious, I would lose my complete legacy bonuses, all my 55 characters, all my long acquired stuff: Not an option.


Hell, anyway. Those events include some PvP, they even got achievement for it. It is intended to be this way (and by the way, the kill of lowbies doesn't count for achievement, the one you kill have a max difference of level with you for it to count as a kill --> Most of the players I know who do PvP kill players from their level). And well, for the rackghoul event, the only place you could need some AoE is the H4. Tell me honestly you can't remove AoE DPS from your rotation for this exact place. It's a loss of dps, granted, but 4 people to kill those mobs, you can afford it. If you can't adapt, you can't be helped.

JattaGin's Avatar


JattaGin
01.23.2014 , 06:26 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Arnianor View Post
(...)Therefore, if you're on a European RP server, you might think about the fact there is no RP-PvP servers in Europe, so this might be the reason we jump on events to do some savage PvP; and to US players on RP-PvE servers, well, if you can't stand the fact that two factions are at war, why are you on a RP server on the first place then? (...)
OK, I accept the first argument above.

The problem (as already mentioned) is the following: People who like to do some savage PvP do (too often these days) not do it with other people who like to do some savage PvP but with unwilling PvE players.

As long as you only fight players who are willingly fighting against you, I am sure that all PvE players are fine with that.

The problem is that you get flagged unwillingly for PvP all the time during the events. Partly because of a flawed programming by BW (e. g. if you heal a flagged player, you get flagged, too), partly because PvP players abuse the bad programming by e. g. running into AoE attacks.

Last evening, there was a level 50 doing that to level 30 players. Shamefully, it was a republic player. Usually it is the other way round. Also, the chat is full of complaints and requests (even friendly written) to please stop attacking and killing. But people continue to do so.

I am sure you understand the problem here, right?

PvP on a RP-PvE-server is fine. As long at is is guaranteed that only players who want to PvP are involved. As long as 100% PvE players get involved unwillingly, we have a problem like Houston.

Ausgepicht's Avatar


Ausgepicht
01.23.2014 , 06:35 AM | #10
I'm curious if play on Republic or Imperial. The reason I wonder is you apparently have some kind of metagame knowledge of who your enemies are, and it would be very embarrassing to be a Jedi and be killing Bounty Hunters, for instance, who are actually say... I don't know... Mercenaries or Soldiers for the Republic?

Also, it's pretty soft to just be chasing PVErs in PVE gear who you can only get to fight you by tricking game mechanics and then come onto the forums to brag.