Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Sorcerer Healing

Orderken
01.22.2014 , 03:50 PM | #1
I moved my Guide here. This thread is closed.
Orderken, <Hates You>, Prophecy of the Five
Guides for Healing - Sorcerer / Sage
Models for PVE Healing - Sorcerer or Sage / Mercenary or Commando / Operative or Scoundrel

Aerilas
01.26.2014 , 11:52 AM | #2
Your PvE guide seems solid, but I don't agree on BiS PVP gear and the skilltree for PVP (especially arenas).

I could post mine if you'd want to compare
Vis Fatalis
Caineghis (Sniper) - Raelisa (Operative) - Micaiah (Sorcerer)
Saerali (Scoundrel)
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Orderken
01.26.2014 , 07:19 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Aerilas View Post
I don't agree on BiS PVP gear and the skilltree for PVP (especially arenas).

I could post mine if you'd want to compare
For PVP, gear or skill points may vary based on the composition or strategy of your team.

I haven't played ranked arenas, which is why I wrote nothing about arenas other than sharing an example of an alternative allocation of skill points for readers to consider. On the other hand, while healing hundreds of pre-season (8v8) ranked matches for several teams, I was a top-performing Sorcerer (especially in the crucial categories of healing done and damage taken per death) and maintained a rating > 2300. Therefore, I'm comfortable with my recommendations for 8v8.

I welcome recommendations about gear or skill points for arenas, but only if these
  1. have been vetted (unchanged over 100+ ranked arena matches);
  2. have contributed to a high rating; and
  3. are suitable for healers rather than true hybrids.

My goal in this guide is to provide sound, seasoned advice. I'd prefer to say nothing about arenas than to speculate.
Models for PVE Healing - Sorcerer or Sage / Mercenary or Commando / Operative or Scoundrel

AdrianDmitruk
01.27.2014 , 05:23 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Orderken View Post
For PVP, gear or skill points may vary based on the composition or strategy of your team.

I haven't played ranked arenas, which is why I wrote nothing about arenas other than sharing an example of an alternative allocation of skill points for readers to consider. On the other hand, while healing hundreds of pre-season (8v8) ranked matches for several teams, I was a top-performing Sorcerer (especially in the crucial categories of healing done and damage taken per death) and maintained a rating > 2300. Therefore, I'm comfortable with my recommendations for 8v8.

I welcome recommendations about gear or skill points for arenas, but only if these
  1. have been vetted (unchanged over 100+ ranked arena matches);
  2. have contributed to a high rating; and
  3. are suitable for healers rather than true hybrids.

My goal in this guide is to provide sound, seasoned advice. I'd prefer to say nothing about arenas than to speculate.
Though ranked PVP is quite dead on my server, and thus I am victim to small sample size, I can (more or less) confirm your recommendations for healing arenas. Obviously on a ranked-dead server most of my arenas have been regs but enough of those regs have been full 4 premade vs. full 4 premade that I feel confident in commenting (and the few ranked arenas I did get a queue pop for, I went 6-1. Then the queue remained silent for 4 hours on prime-time weekends, on multiple consecutive days, before I finally gave up).

I run 26/18/2. Your build is fairly similar to mine but there are some differences in the stuff in corruption I take. Differences:

1. I put 2 points in Efficacious Currents, not just 1. Our Force regen mechanics, to put it bluntly, are bad, and making one of our primary heals cheaper allows us to kill ourselves less often; therefore that which helps us prolong our Force is a very good thing. If you're running bubblestun this is especially important as you want to get as close to 100% bubble uptime on yourself as possible so you have reactive CC against PTs pulling you and trying to stun you to set up their kill and/or sins trying to low slash/maul you, and/or carnage marauders trying to gore you when overload is on CD...you get the idea.

2. I put one point in Corrupted Barrier. It really doesn't do much, but as bubblestun is PURE single target healing with no AOE whatsoever, I like the idea that I can bubble myself and slowly, passively regen through dot damage or whatever isn't hard focus while I focus on healing whoever is getting focused. If I'm bubbled for reasons enumerated in my first point and the other team spends 20 seconds trying to kill someone else, I've given myself a 3k heal to top myself off all while healing the other person. Though I consider this to be the least important of my tweaks to the "suggested" bubblestun spec and there is certainly room to argue this point belongs elsewhere.

3. Yes I go 1 point higher to put that point in Force Surge. Again this is to make a bad regeneration mechanic slightly less bad, which in turn means I don't need to use it as often. If an arena stalemates I need to be able to recover enough Force to continue-while under intense pressure--to heal through the full five minutes and have some force left over to add my DPS to the acid phase. By getting the Force Bending stacks I remove consumption's penalty to regen, which shortens my consumption cycle, which means more GCDs available for healing. This actually becomes really, really important in the long, drawn out fights when the other team is actively trying to run me out of Force as a means to score a kill.

4. To attain these add-ons to corruption, I give up Reconstruct entirely as a paltry 10% bonus to paper-thin light armor doesn't really seem worth it to me. I could probably justify putting my 1 point in Corrupted Barrier here instead, and I do find it a tough call. Ultimately though, it feels like adding 10% to 0 insofar as my own armor is concerned; my armor is my bubblestun. I also give up the one point in Sith Defiance to make room for that 26th point.

5. In lightning tree I do not put any points into Chain Shock; instead I put them into Lightning Effusion for Force management reasons, again because our regen mechanic is so bad. That leaves me with one point in lightning left over (that I have to allocate to unlock Lightning Effusion in the first place), which I put into Lightning Spire, because occasionally I find the ability to position at slightly more than 30m away from the fight slightly useful. Especially if I have a ranged comp against anything with pulls. (Though putting this 1 point into Chain Shock instead could be beneficial in other situations, I suppose.)

I would love to get 100 ranked matches under my belt but alas Bioware has done an incredibly poor job of supporting arenas. I run an arena spec in all my PVP because of inability to filter arenas from the queue and inability to have a separate arena spec and warzone spec. I have run the same spec in all PVP since 2.4 released, so it is a stable spec. Sadly I doubt sorc healers even get invited to ranked teams on servers with a more vibrant PVP scene because operative healing is just so much ridiculously better for a deathmatch environment in so many ways.
Adrian-Defense Guardian | Kerrik-Vigilance Guardian | Matari-Scoundrel Healer | Treston-Pyromaniac Vanguard | Eamen-Sage Healer
Kendrew-Op Healer | Andreus-Sorc Healer | Matarion-Juggernaut Smasher
The Makaryk Legacy of Healing to Full - Begeren Colony
The Heal to Full and Make Them Pay Show

cTrixy
01.28.2014 , 12:47 PM | #5
Can you elaborate about the use of power vs critical chance. The conversion I calculated is (rounded) 5.8 points of power = 1 bonus healing HP. Is it really worth to gain ~250 bonus healing from over 1000 points in power (that is so much) if you can instead have something like a 25-30% critical chance. That would be 50% on your Innervate. 50% critical chance on your main heal is insane.

I noticed you have excluded crit chance from your model entirely, when to me it seems that's the stat that sorcerers have the highest synergy with.

Apart from that I agree with basically everything you've said. Please note that I have only played a sorcerer for like, 2 weeks total.

Orderken
01.28.2014 , 01:05 PM | #6
Today I updated the guide, Section "PVP", Subsection "Skill Points".

Thank you, AdrianDmitruk, for your advice (which I agree with) and for catching an error (I'd intended to have 2 points in Efficacious Currents).

Orderken
01.28.2014 , 02:14 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by cTrixy View Post
The conversion I calculated is (rounded) 5.8 points of power = 1 bonus healing HP.
At level 55, the conversion is 5.3 Power : 1 Bonus Healing. Include the bonuses from Penetrating Darkness, a skill, and Unnatural Might, the Warrior buff.

Is it really worth to gain ~250 bonus healing from over 1000 points in power (that is so much) if you can instead have something like a 25-30% critical chance.
I don't understand your figures, or they're incorrect.

In BIS gear (i.e., with 0 Critical from gear), your Critical chance is 25.3%. At level 55, your Critical chance would be 40.1% with 1000 Critical from gear. Note, too, that an x% increase in Bonus Healing doesn't increase the amount of each heal by x%.

The napkin math for your example has the same conclusion as my complete model: Power > Critical. In 78 gear, for the final 1000 stat points of your budget for Power and Critical,
  • Power increases healing done about 11.2% for each ability, including Static Barrier.
  • Critical increases healing done about 10.5% (assuming 70.5% Surge, which would be BIS with 1000 Critical) for each ability other than Static Barrier. The increase for Static Barrier is 0%, because it doesn't crit.

I noticed you have excluded crit chance from your model entirely
No, my model includes Critical in every formula that Critical affects.

The default build on worksheet "Gear" is BIS gear, which has 0 Critical. All formula recalculate when you choose different gear.

[I]t seems that [Critical is] the stat that sorcerers have the highest synergy with.
Among the healing classes, a Sorcerer benefits least from Critical.
  1. The only healing class with a heal that doesn't crit is the Sorcerer. Static Barrier, which should provide a significant share of your total output, doesn't crit.
  2. The only healing class without a skill that increases Surge is the Sorcerer. Skill Penetrating Darkness increases Bonus Healing instead.

Though Critical increases the likelihood of Force Surge procs from Innervate, even with 0 Critical from gear the Critical chance of Innervate is > 50% when it's buffed by Force Bending. This provides a sufficient number of procs of Force Surge; more procs would often be wasted.

cTrixy
01.29.2014 , 04:06 AM | #8
I've only just reached level 55 a few days ago. With full Willpower > Crit > Surge Rating equipment, no power, no alacrity, I only have 25% force critical chance. It's all purple 25 mods. Without the equipment my critical chance would be only 15%

I have 1736 Willpower, 634 Critical Rating and 376 Surge Rating (70% surge).
My skills are pretty exactly the same as in your build, except that I have force dash for convenience.

http://i.imgur.com/ecYK633.png

Orderken
01.29.2014 , 07:35 AM | #9
I've only just reached level 55 a few days ago. With full Willpower > Crit > Surge Rating equipment, no power, no alacrity, I only have 25% force critical chance. It's all purple 25 mods. Without the equipment my critical chance would be only 15%

I have 1736 Willpower, 634 Critical Rating and 376 Surge Rating (70% surge).
My skills are pretty exactly the same as in your build, except that I have force dash for convenience.

http://i.imgur.com/ecYK633.png
You're missing exactly 6% Critical chance. Assuming that you have 10% Critical chance from skills, which you should, the missing Critical chance is:
  1. 5% from Agent buff, Coordination, and
  2. 1% from completing all dialogue and quests available from companion Andronikos Revel.

Your priority at this time isn't optimizing your gear to match BIS, but rather is farming any item that offers a higher sum of stats that benefit healing (i.e., Willpower, Power, Critical, Surge, or Alacrity). This topic is outside the scope of this guide. Please see instead a resource for farming gear for a fresh level 55.

cTrixy
01.29.2014 , 07:39 AM | #10
I'm not interested in a farming guide. I want to understand what stats are important, how any why.
And I only have 5% critical chance from skills? 3 from Seeping Darkness and 2 from Life Surge. Where do you get the other 5%?