Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Plague persists through death but vaccine doesn't?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Plague persists through death but vaccine doesn't?

keitzy
01.21.2014 , 08:19 PM | #1
I pvped on my lvl 15 toon, got the plague and it persists through death but yet your slugging lowbies 2k for a vaccine that does not persist through death.
It wouldn't be so bad if this ****** plague didn't *********** cc me every couple of seconds making questing retardly hard.

bassfu
01.21.2014 , 08:46 PM | #2
People really don't understand how devalued credits are in this game....

AdrianDmitruk
01.21.2014 , 09:05 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by bassfu View Post
People really don't understand how devalued credits are in this game....
The last time the plague event happened, the vaccine DID persist through death. It got nerfed for no apparent reason.

OK maybe it is a credit sink but it makes certain playstyles of leveling simply not viable.

PVP doesn't pay well. People will use PVP as a venue to spread the plague, necessitating vaccines. But you die in PVP, so a warzone that pays maybe 3k costs you 6k in vaccines because you died 3 times. (And that assumes you're at least a half decent player, not a bad who died 10 times, but that's another thread...)

Now I'm not saying that warzones need to pay 50k credits each but a player leveling through PVP should at least earn enough to train skills. Removing "persist through death" from the vaccine gives lowbies the choice to either abandon PVP, suffer through completely random plague-related CC that afaik is off resolve, or bleed credits replenishing vaccines that they should only have to replenish once every few hours in te first place.

It's not an appropriate place to put a credit sink and bad game design.
Adrian-Defense Guardian | Kerrik-Vigilance Guardian | Matari-Scoundrel Healer | Treston-Pyromaniac Vanguard | Eamen-Sage Healer
Kendrew-Op Healer | Andreus-Sorc Healer | Matarion-Juggernaut Smasher | Darrien-Veng Juggernaut
The Makaryk Legacy of Healing to Full - Begeren Colony
Referral Link - Click for 7 days' sub time and other free stuff

keitzy
01.21.2014 , 09:10 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by AdrianDmitruk View Post
The last time the plague event happened, the vaccine DID persist through death. It got nerfed for no apparent reason.

OK maybe it is a credit sink but it makes certain playstyles of leveling simply not viable.

PVP doesn't pay well. People will use PVP as a venue to spread the plague, necessitating vaccines. But you die in PVP, so a warzone that pays maybe 3k costs you 6k in vaccines because you died 3 times. (And that assumes you're at least a half decent player, not a bad who died 10 times, but that's another thread...)

Now I'm not saying that warzones need to pay 50k credits each but a player leveling through PVP should at least earn enough to train skills. Removing "persist through death" from the vaccine gives lowbies the choice to either abandon PVP, suffer through completely random plague-related CC that afaik is off resolve, or bleed credits replenishing vaccines that they should only have to replenish once every few hours in te first place.

Nice post and totally agree.

Erasimus
01.21.2014 , 09:24 PM | #5
I completely agree and I have the credits to buy the vaccine and had 3 in my inventory from the original event. However, my major pastime now is casual PvP and once I saw that the plague persists through death but the vaccine doesn't. Well I may come back after this event is over, or I may not
"Give light and the darkness will disappear of itself."

Andryah
01.21.2014 , 09:34 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AdrianDmitruk View Post
This is SWTOR. 2K is not a credit sink in this game, except maybe your first week as a new player.

Besides, most subs posting here in the forum have plenty of wealth on at least one character. And if for whatever reason they do not... then they have yet to learn to play the game. Part of playing any MMO, regardless how you spend most of your time (PvP, PvE, /Picking-Nose_On-Fleet) is to develop at least one manageable income stream.

Should the vaccine persist through death... /shrug.
Is 2K for a vaccine griefing the player base? NO.
"We don't see the world as it is. We see the world as WE are." ~Anais Nin

rbanzai
01.21.2014 , 09:50 PM | #7
It's crap. Want to quest? Sorry, you're infected and will die due to freezing up every few seconds. Spend those creds on something completely stupid thrown in by the devs. Want to PvP? Sorry, you're infected and will die due to freezing up every few seconds. Spends those creds and... whoops!

Your only real option is to log in and do nothing.

It's a terrible event defended by terrible players.

mikebevo
01.21.2014 , 10:05 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by rbanzai View Post
It's crap. Want to quest? Sorry, you're infected and will die due to freezing up every few seconds. Spend those creds on something completely stupid thrown in by the devs. Want to PvP? Sorry, you're infected and will die due to freezing up every few seconds. Spends those creds and... whoops!

Your only real option is to log in and do nothing.

It's a terrible event defended by terrible players.
PVP I can see the problem, but in PVE have done it on two toons slinger and sawbones so far and have only died from blowing up from plague, even two man the heroic and never died. The annoying thing to me was the constant interrupts in trying to get the objectives, not the interrupts during the fight were slightly annoying they in no way spelled death.

Erasimus
01.21.2014 , 10:20 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by mikebevo View Post
PVP I can see the problem, but in PVE have done it on two toons slinger and sawbones so far and have only died from blowing up from plague, even two man the heroic and never died. The annoying thing to me was the constant interrupts in trying to get the objectives, not the interrupts during the fight were slightly annoying they in no way spelled death.
This is indeed the issue, PvP that is. While it is a minor credit sink for PvE it can be a major credit sink in PvP. Especially if you are doing the dailies/weeklies on multiple toons. You do have the option of just accepting the fact that you will randomly die due to the plague CC. But, especially in PvP, that significantly impacts the enjoyment, at least for me. So you have a choice, stock up on a ton of vaccines for all the toons you PvP on, which can be expensive. Or, like I'm doing, just don't PvP until it is over. Which means playing very little for me since I mostly do casual PvP in SWTOR.

Unlike some I don't think the Devs did it on purpose to "punish" PvP versus PvE players. I personally think the differing impact on PvP versus PvE just didn't occur to them when they made the vaccine not last through death now. Which is an issue by itself.
"Give light and the darkness will disappear of itself."

Andryah
01.21.2014 , 10:26 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Erasimus View Post
Unlike some I don't think the Devs did it on purpose to "punish" PvP versus PvE players. I personally think the differing impact on PvP versus PvE just didn't occur to them when they made the vaccine not last through death now. Which is an issue by itself.
Agree with your assessment Erasimus. I imagine they just naturally figured that players not actually working the event, would inoculate and move to whatever other content they wish to do. They forgot about the professional keester crowd.

IMO, they neglected the inherent PvP desire to grief whenever, with whatever. The average PvPer would probably grief their mom by smearing jello all over the kitchen floor if they thought they could get away with it.

Should they know better by now, with respect to PvPer shenanigans? Yeah, they really should. On the other hand, maybe they did see it and decided it was an appropriate component of PvP during the event. /shrug.

But IMO, expect a minor patch to fix it to persist through death IMO, at least when in PvP zones. If we don't see this, then it was not an oversight, it was by design.

Besides... I thought PvPers were tough.. and could roll with the circumstances they face. Why the QQ from some?
"We don't see the world as it is. We see the world as WE are." ~Anais Nin