Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Galactic Star Fighter first impressions ...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Galactic Star Fighter first impressions ...

Zenflyer
01.20.2014 , 07:05 PM | #1
It's bad, really bad. Controls are clunky, flight models are ropey at best and weapon control, sorry but that is just a complete joke. I've been playing flight/space sims since X-Wing Fighter on the ZX Spectrum! And I know GSF isn't meant to be in any way a Simulator, but there is so much potential for a good gaming experience to be had that it seems like such a waste if this is how it's meant to be as in final release.

The gameplay is as bad as Wargaming's failure "World of Warplanes!" And that's a big turn off for me the gameplay in GSF is soo reminiscent that I've played one match and will not be playing it ever again! And that was pretty my much my experience with WOWP!

I've played and can play the likes of "Il-2 Sturmovik", "FSX", the aircraft and heli's in "ARMA 2/3" and "Warthunder" with mouse and keyboard but this GSF is just counter intuitive. Why for instance is the aim point moveable like it's a turret but the gun's are actually fixed in place? Why do I not have gun convergence? Issues like those I've just stated are a real turn off, I might try it again in six months but I doubt it. EA/Bioware do yourselves a favour and look at other flight/space sims, other than the crap fest that is World of Warplanes for inspiration!

Nemarus
01.20.2014 , 07:26 PM | #2
A lot of us had that initial reaction, especially those of us that grew up on X-wing and TIE Fighter.

But believe me... once it clicks for you, it's a blast--and your spatial awareness and experience with power/shield management from X-wing will serve you well. One key thing is to turn down your mouse sensitivity--that helps a lot.

As for weapons, they aren't entirely fixed--they have a little play within a "firing arc". This is actually canon from the movies--remember Darth Vader's TIE's lasers shifting right from center in order to nail an X-wing?

All I can say (beyond turning down your mouse sensitivity) is be patient and give it a longer period of evaluation. Almost all of the GSF "aces" are people who grew up on X-wing and TIE Fighter and Wing Commander. Yes, the controls in this game are different and take getting used to, but once you do, it really starts to feel familiar and fun. There is a learning curve, but it's worth it.

That being said, if you're set in your opinion after one try, there's not much I can do to change your mind.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Xnemth
01.20.2014 , 07:38 PM | #3
I understand man. In the absence of a modern successor to X-Wing etc., and with SWG space combat just a glorious memory... this is what we have. I hated it at first, but I realized that my expectations were just way out of line. Of course this isn't going to be TIE Fighter Part Two, it's built on (and rather better run than) some other "flight" games out there right now. Check your space sim high horse at the stall outside... right next to mine and every other old school pilots. On a certain level, it works, and is quite enjoyable. But it sure as hell didn't start that way. Give it time and you'll have fun with it, or... ya know, don't. That's cool too. Dunno what else yer gunna fly though, Star Citizen isn't out yet, and the new X game is (as always is the case) still riddled with game-stoppers.

That said, GOG has a lot of the old wing commander games updated to work on modern machines... could take a spin in WC4 with Maniac and Blair.

So... yeah. There it is.

Zenflyer
01.20.2014 , 07:39 PM | #4
Thanks for the reply Nemarus, and the tips but I suppose I could give it a few more try's but it's that WOWP feeling that's really not allowing me to get into the game and it's gameplay. I know we also shouldn't have TIE fighters and X-Wings but perhaps we could see their ancestor's as in the earliest form's of their development? Say a fighter that you look at and although it's not an X-Wing but you could definitely see the beginnings of the X-Wing there ...

First impressions do count the gaming world and for me that was such a shock to the system as I was playing it that I was saying in my head "World of Warplanes, World of Warplanes, World of Warplanes, bad, bad, bad!" I was trying to use my old zoom and tactics, but the whole match was just a turning furball of a dogfight that tactics was pretty much useless.

To me all the fighters felt and flew the same and what I saw of the enemy fighters was pretty much the same. Not one of three that I had, had a unique feel and style of flying. It just felt like a boring level playing field were it was more luck than skill involved in getting on someone's six and taking them out ...

Zenflyer
01.20.2014 , 07:44 PM | #5
Thanks as well Xnemth but perhaps I'll keep flying with good ol' "IL-2 Sturmovik" and wait for "Star Citizen" ...

Nemarus
01.20.2014 , 07:52 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Zenflyer View Post
Thanks for the reply Nemarus, and the tips but I suppose I could give it a few more try's but it's that WOWP feeling that's really not allowing me to get into the game and it's gameplay. I know we also shouldn't have TIE fighters and X-Wings but perhaps we could see their ancestor's as in the earliest form's of their development? Say a fighter that you look at and although it's not an X-Wing but you could definitely see the beginnings of the X-Wing there ...

First impressions do count the gaming world and for me that was such a shock to the system as I was playing it that I was saying in my head "World of Warplanes, World of Warplanes, World of Warplanes, bad, bad, bad!" I was trying to use my old zoom and tactics, but the whole match was just a turning furball of a dogfight that tactics was pretty much useless.

To me all the fighters felt and flew the same and what I saw of the enemy fighters was pretty much the same. Not one of three that I had, had a unique feel and style of flying. It just felt like a boring level playing field were it was more luck than skill involved in getting on someone's six and taking them out ...
Which side were you on? A lot of the fighters actually do have visual elements in common with classic era fighters.

Take a look at the Imperial Sting, which is very TIE-fighter-esque. The Republic NovaDrive is like a Z-95, the Flashfire is like a A-wing. The StarGuard and Pike both have X-wing elements, and the Quarrel has a Y-wing cockpit and engine.

Even the Imperial Gunships look a bit like old Imperial Assault Gunboats.

However, the Rycer and Quell really do not look like anything we recognize.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Zenflyer
01.20.2014 , 08:03 PM | #7
It was the Rycer and Quell I was flying mostly ...

Xnemth
01.20.2014 , 08:43 PM | #8
Try the blackbolt and sting. Very TIE Interceptor/advanced feel to them. Also, faster, better able to control engagements. Not durable, but they give you a lot of tactical options.

Zenflyer
01.20.2014 , 08:44 PM | #9
Is there a tutorial in the game?

Sangrar
01.20.2014 , 09:02 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Zenflyer View Post
Is there a tutorial in the game?
yes, if you look in the upper right hand corner of the hanger, you will see a question mark, click on it, and it will take you through a tutorial full with practice flying and everything.
[Bastion]Guildmaster<Galactic Saviors>-War Hero Spaceboomer-55 Commando/Captain Starforce-55 Scoundrel/Darth Caddar-55 Juggernaut/Lord Brakaras-32 Assassin/Master Teckan-38 Sage/Firefighter-27 Powertech/Nightprowler-13 Sniper
refferal link for returning players and free character transfer and free inventory slot