SWTOR made $139m dollars in 2013

DarthMaulUK

According to Gamespot.

They list the top 10 of games mostly F2P but clearly those who offer MTs as well

Coming in at the number one spot is CrossFire, a South Korean free-to-play first-person shooter which brought in $957 million in revenues during 2013. Tencent, which owns a majority stake in League of Legends developer Riot Games, publishes CrossFire as well.

Valve rounded out the top 10 list with Counter-Strike Online, which brought in $121 million, and Team Fortress 2 at the number nine spot bringing in $139 million.

Electronic Art's Star Wars: The Old Republic, which added a free-to-play option in 2012, took the number eight spot with a little more than Team Fortress 2, and less than Blizzard's World of Warcraft, which generated $213 in microtransactions alone (not counting subscription fees).

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that before or after Cartel Market?

Subs are not counted, this is CM only.

"Despite its chronic subscriber loss, World of Warcraft managed to generate $213 million in micro-transaction sales in 2013. Similarly, Star Wars: The Old Republic earned $139 million in additional revenues, suggesting that both titles’ change to a hybrid monetization model succeeded to stem a more drastic revenue loss."

Judging from the fact that the list is sorted by "based on free-to-play earnings" and WoW is cited at those 213m$ that they made on microtransactions alone, I don't think the 139m$ is with subscriptions, but it's actually microtransactions alone as well.

So add to that the subscriptions of a little less than 500k subs and you get the real number (but that is hard to do since the revenue is different depending on what subscription choice the subscriber has made)

But as someone stated, yes, this is revenue, not profit.

But 139m$ ain't shabby (and definately not "dead" as some proclaim)

Edited by OddballEasyEight

According to Gamespot.

They list the top 10 of games mostly F2P but clearly those who offer MTs as well

Coming in at the number one spot is CrossFire, a South Korean free-to-play first-person shooter which brought in $957 million in revenues during 2013. Tencent, which owns a majority stake in League of Legends developer Riot Games, publishes CrossFire as well.

Valve rounded out the top 10 list with Counter-Strike Online, which brought in $121 million, and Team Fortress 2 at the number nine spot bringing in $139 million.

Electronic Art's Star Wars: The Old Republic, which added a free-to-play option in 2012, took the number eight spot with a little more than Team Fortress 2, and less than Blizzard's World of Warcraft, which generated $213 in microtransactions alone (not counting subscription fees).

Look where your getting your info from :rolleyes: Gamespot !!!!, They have messed up everything this year from trying to fix a sight that didn't need fixing to giving false ratings to games that never been heard of just because they are giving a few bucks to give good reviews and ratings so come on find a different sight or at least show me several sights that post these numbers before posting this plz :)

But as someone stated, yes, this is revenue, not profit.

But 139m$ ain't shabby (and definately not "dead" as some proclaim)

The problem is it took years to reach this, and while I'm not going to proclaim the game is dead it's still in a hard spot. Another problem is dealing with EA and seeing whether they'll assist Bioware in shaping the game up or just expect them to keep the micro transaction gravy train going.

Look where your getting your info from :rolleyes: Gamespot !!!!, They have messed up everything this year from trying to fix a sight that didn't need fixing to giving false ratings to games that never been heard of just because they are giving a few bucks to give good reviews and ratings so come on find a different sight or at least show me several sights that post these numbers before posting this plz :)

Actually, the data is from superdata, gamespot is merely relaying it. (also, why should we listen to anything you say? You misspelled site, and if your standards are so high that you cannot trust anyone that makes mistakes, then we cannot trust you)

The problem is it took years to reach this, and while I'm not going to proclaim the game is dead it's still in a hard spot. Another problem is dealing with EA and seeing whether they'll assist Bioware in shaping the game up or just expect them to keep the micro transaction gravy train going.

You mean it took A year to reach this?

SW:TOR went F2P in november 2012. The profits are for 2013.

That means the profits are almost the entire period it was F2P, not after "years".

And it seems the game is going in the right direction. We have had some very nice releases lately IMHO.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

You mean it took A year to reach this?

SW:TOR went F2P in november 2012. The profits are for 2013.

That means the profits are almost the entire period it was F2P, not after "years".

And it seems the game is going in the right direction. We have had some very nice releases lately IMHO.

I'm talking about from the point of view from the investors and EA. This game has been in the works for quite a few years and took some time to generate a profit. My point is now that EA has found it's profitable side they'll make sure it's focused more on that with content updates taking a backseat.

I don't get it. Does the remark "not counting subscription fees" refer to World of Warcraft only, or to all games in that list?

I'd be curious not just for the revenue, but also the total turnover and thus the return on turnover...

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Similarly, Star Wars: The Old Republic earned $139 million in additional revenues

Keyword "additional"!

I'm talking about from the point of view from the investors and EA. This game has been in the works for quite a few years and took some time to generate a profit. My point is now that EA has found it's profitable side they'll make sure it's focused more on that with content updates taking a backseat.

With all the flak they get, EA is not naive or stupid. Regular content updates ensure the profitable side because it creates a dynamic environment where people will play and find incentive to spend additional money.

Edited by znihilist

Well that number really mean anything at this point. What will really be important is year-over-year revenues. If 2013 shows growth, that's a pretty good sign, but if there is a decline in revenues that could mark trouble.

Best we could look at now is Q4 2012 v. Q4 2013, but even at that it is only one quarter to try to determine if the health of the game.

With all the flak they get, EA is not naive or stupid. Regular content updates ensure the profitable side because it creates a dynamic environment where people will play and find incentive to spend additional money.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm saying they'll halt altogether and only focus on micro transactions, I'm just worried that a majority of it will be and Bioware won't be able to sculpt the game to it's full potential. That's just a worry, I'm not predicting or saying that will happen. Eric said Bioware is working on a road map style post to give the forums/player base an idea where we're going in 2014 and I'll wait until then to see how they're faring.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm saying they'll halt altogether and only focus on micro transactions, I'm just worried that a majority of it will be and Bioware won't be able to sculpt the game to it's full potential. That's just a worry, I'm not predicting or saying that will happen. Eric said Bioware is working on a road map style post to give the forums/player base an idea where we're going in 2014 and I'll wait until then to see how they're faring.

That's a fair and a very reasonable point. However, I think that our information is old, old in the sense that people at BW/EA already know of this, so with the way (content wise) things have been progressing in the last year I think we can be optimistic (to a certain degree).

Edit: I forgot to say that it is indeed prudent to wait for the roadmap.

Edited by znihilist

If that's MT only and you add say 350k subs at 15$ per month you get to 200mil yearly revenue.

Which is 20mil more than 1mil subs get you. And 1mil subs was stated prior launch as the "profitable" point for them "tho nothing to write home about" (compared to wow 3bil profit earnings sure I guess). And that was prior the studio going on a large diet.

So not too shabby it seems. Here's hoping a decent portion of it gets reinvested.

Edited by aeterno

huh? They can't make any profit before the game's released. It launched 12/20/2011 and went FTP less than a year later. So you could argue that for ONE year they didn't make a profit, and then last year they did. This is hardly "quite a few years" without profit. It's literally ONE.

huh? They can't make any profit before the game's released. It launched 12/20/2011 and went FTP less than a year later. So you could argue that for ONE year they didn't make a profit, and then last year they did. This is hardly "quite a few years" without profit. It's literally ONE.

Actually, they DID make a profit that first year, just not nearly enough for what they thought they'd make. And going F2P was to save the game from dying due to loss of subs.

But from sales alone paired with the initial subs (remember that everyone had to sub for at least a month) they made their investment back.

But to break even in the long run they needed 500.000 subscriptions and those were dwindling fast.

I seriously doubt that SW:TOR was a loss for EA/BioWare during that first year, but it sure was heading in that direction.

Actually, they DID make a profit that first year, just not nearly enough for what they thought they'd make.

Well, if you say so. I haven't seen any figures on that myself though I haven't been paying that much attention. Seems odd to me if they made a profit that first year they'd of let go as many people they did and switch to FTP so fast. Either way, the guy I was replying to was saying that it's been "years" without profit, which is just wrong regardless.

The game cost approx 150mil to make. Through box sales, they were close to that. So they recouped their start up investment. The problem is to keep the stock holders happy they need to make a large profit, not a small profit, EA CEO needs to get his cut. They saw sales sliding and subbers leaving, decrease in profit so they had to do something about it and they know people would rather play a free game then be stuck subscribing so they went for it. And micro transactions galore. I didn't see anything in this new pack that would have made it worth buying but I saw people everywhere opening them up and so it continues. Will more story come out, I hope. Will an expansion that we really want to see come out, I doubt it. Edited by AlaricSevGirl

With these numbers it really isn't much of a surprise with how much effort they are putting into the CM.

We know they are hiring for quite a few positions. But considering if they are still sitting around half a million subs. That is only 90m a year compared to this from the CM (I know they have said there is some crossover but we are partially to blame for that)

Well, if you say so. I haven't seen any figures on that myself though I haven't been paying that much attention. Seems odd to me if they made a profit that first year they'd of let go as many people they did and switch to FTP so fast. Either way, the guy I was replying to was saying that it's been "years" without profit, which is just wrong regardless.

Yeah, they made back their investment, but due to the rapid decline in subscribers (which they really should have expected since that happens to basically every new MMO) they went into panic mode and had a complete redirection of the game coupled with layoffs and a switch to Freemium mode (it really isn't a true F2P).

Personally, I think this new direction is much better.

Some things people tend to forget is that the original "vision" was very restrictive on players.

Every class had its own distinct "look" that was in no way supposed to be deviated from.

Every player had to adhere to a strict "cooler gear as you level up" which meant that on the starter planets everyone looked the same, from lvl 10-40 everyone looked moronic and only at end game did you have a chance to look cool.

(i mean bounty hunters didn't even get a decent helmet until lvl 34!)

No way to send items cross faction.

GTN separated into factions (with the GTN on Nar Shaddaa being a cross faction one).

The list goes on, but it was a much much more restricted gaming experience back then.

The way it is now is much better.

The greatest loss is of course class stories, but I don't think that was a viable strategy in the long run anyway.