[guide] How to get Grade 31/72 schematics

psandak

[guide] How to get Grade top end (currently 230 and 234 and 240 and 246 PURPLE) schematics

At least once a week, I see Cybertechs, Artificers, and Armstechs asking the same question: How do I get the "high end"/"end game"/"elder game"/"operations level" schematics? They are not available from the trainer."

Edit: the response is four-fold:

"Run Ops, kill bosses, they drop schematics"

"Open 'crates' (command or PvP weekly reward) they have schematics"

"Reverse Engineering existing item modifications from items you get in command crates"

"You CANNOT reverse engineer stuff purchased off the GTN for schematics"

The steps are as follows:

1. acquire an item with grade top grade/rating item modifications
  2. rip the PURPLE item modification (Green and Blue and Golden 236,242, 248 WILL NOT WORK!!!!) you want the schematic for out of the item (if the character you acquired them on is not the character with the crafting skill you need, you have to install the item modifications into a Bound to Legacy gear piece to transfer them to the right character, and then rip them out of the BoL piece)
  3. Reverse engineer the item modification you should have a 100% chance to get it :D

Rinse and Repeat

Regarding Ear pieces, and Implants the process is non-existent. These pieces are NOT REable for schematics PERIOD! The former process is contained the spoiler in case this is a bug and they fix it.

1. acquire an item from a command crate
  2. NOTE: these are non-transferable (e.g. if you get an ear piece you do not need on a non Cybertech you cannot send it to your Cybertech).
  3. Reverse engineer the piece

Rinse and Repeat

That being said, ops level schematics for these slots are available through command crates and ops bosses.

Players want these schematics for one of two reasons:

1. They want to get in on the action - selling these item modifications for millions of credits each
  2. They do not want to pay the million of credits each and think they can craft them cheaper

Well they'd be wrong on both counts:

Most players are like themselves and do not want to or do not have to spend millions of credits for a single item.

There are several explanations:

1. Those who "need" them, run those operations regularly and can therefore get whatever they want/need
  2. Players see the multi-million credit value and balk at buying them because they do not "need" them for the content they do
  3. (and later on) due to the greater RE chance the number of suppliers is high

And the materials to make these items are often valued higher than the finished product.

The point is if you do a little research of your server's GTN, you will probably find that the value of the exotic materials is HIGHER than the value of any top grade item modification.

Yes, there is the chance to crit. And with the right crew skill, with a max influence companion (a significant investment unto itself, and the legacy crit craftng unlocks, you have a decent chance to get two of them. Tell that to all those folks who claim the RNG is broken because they don't get crits (in crafting or missions) for 20-30 in a row.

I'm not saying one should not bother trying to get these schematics. What I am saying is actively seeking them is a waste your resources. If the opportunity presents itself:

• You get an item you already have from a command crate and do not have a character that could use it (ALL your level 70 characters are either fully geared or have full sets waiting for them)
  • You pick up an item with top end stuff in it and only use one or two of the pieces

...then by all means go for it. That's what I do. But actively seeking the schematics for these items will only lead to disappointment.

Edited by psandak

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I missed something, but I thought you could only RE the schems from dropped or purchased items (that you equip/unequip to remove seller name), not from one bought with comms? I have no plans to go for the schems (unless, like you said, I just have an otherwise unusable piece), but I just wanted to clarify whether or not it can be done with gear purchased from comms.

Ok, this feels like a good place to ask this, without starting a new thread for it.

Would you advice buying the 31/168 mods/hilts/enhancements etc while leveling, if I have the means? My pub main is a gatherer and pumps decent coin. I'd like to tank when I get to max level, and I keep my gear up to date every 2 levels. My toons that are capable of crafting are not near max level to run the HMs to get the mats to get the blah blah, like the OP post.

If I don't start buying a few things here or there, I imagine i'll just waste the 4 mill on a white power crystal and be less prepared when I hit 55.

Maybe I missed something, but I thought you could only RE the schems from dropped or purchased items (that you equip/unequip to remove seller name), not from one bought with comms? I have no plans to go for the schems (unless, like you said, I just have an otherwise unusable piece), but I just wanted to clarify whether or not it can be done with gear purchased from comms.

I have personally bought items with comms, ripped out the item modifications, put them into BoL gear to ship (via mail) them to my cybertech and artifice and armstech, ripped out the item modifications, and gotten schematics from RE. Maybe it is within that process that "permits" RE of comms gear item modifications, I do not know.

Ok, this feels like a good place to ask this, without starting a new thread for it.

Would you advice buying the 31/168 mods/hilts/enhancements etc while leveling, if I have the means? My pub main is a gatherer and pumps decent coin. I'd like to tank when I get to max level, and I keep my gear up to date every 2 levels. My toons that are capable of crafting are not near max level to run the HMs to get the mats to get the blah blah, like the OP post.

If I don't start buying a few things here or there, I imagine i'll just waste the 4 mill on a white power crystal and be less prepared when I hit 55.

I would not worry all that much. One can successfully run level 55 HM FPs in gear populated with grade 25/58 Makeb planetary comms acquired Item modifications. It may be slower going but it is doable. And you will gear up quickly because most of your teammates will have no need for any gear that drops :).

Edited by psandak

I have personally bought items with comms, ripped out the item modifications, put them into BoL gear to ship (via mail) them to my cybertech and artifice and armstech, ripped out the item modifications, and gotten schematics from RE. Maybe it is within that process that "permits" RE of comms gear item modifications, I do not know.

Thanks! I was probably misremembering a previous discussion (or it might have been accurate for a different tier of gear).

I would not worry all that much. One can successfully run level 55 HM FPs in gear populated with grade 25/58 Makeb planetary comms acquired Item modifications. It may be slower going but it is doable. And you will gear up quickly because most of your teammates will have no need for any gear that drops :).

@ItachiZaku (psandak, please correct me if I missed something):

I'd definitely recommend that new 55s buy the 31 Barrel/Hilt for the MH, since you otherwise need Ultimate Comms. The Elite-Comm MH is only 30/162, costs 350 Elite Comms (next most expensive Elite item is 140), and requires Champion standing with CZ-198. I.e., you can buy 3 other pieces of Elite 31/168 gear for the same number of Comms.

I'd highly recommend the OH Hilt/Barrel, as there is no Basic Comm OH that I recall.

Caveat: If you buy the Hilt/barrel, you still need to get the mod and enh, but since they aren't locked to the slot like the barrel/hilt/armor, you can pull from much cheaper comm gear.

As psandak said, the 31 isn't necessary, and if you plan on gearing from raid drops and not just comms, you can get a good MH/OH earlier than Ultimate Comms. But if you have a few mil sitting around, the 31 MH/OH barrel/hilt is the best bang-for-buck for 31 gear.

Also: if you know what look you want, 2 mill should get you 9 MK-9 kits and purple augs for them (mh/oh/+armor).

Thanks! I was probably misremembering a previous discussion (or it might have been accurate for a different tier of gear).

@ItachiZaku (psandak, please correct me if I missed something):

I'd definitely recommend that new 55s buy the 31 Barrel/Hilt for the MH, since you otherwise need Ultimate Comms. The Elite-Comm MH is only 30/162, costs 350 Elite Comms (next most expensive Elite item is 140), and requires Champion standing with CZ-198. I.e., you can buy 3 other pieces of Elite 31/168 gear for the same number of Comms.

I'd highly recommend the OH Hilt/Barrel, as there is no Basic Comm OH that I recall.

Caveat: If you buy the Hilt/barrel, you still need to get the mod and enh, but since they aren't locked to the slot like the barrel/hilt/armor, you can pull from much cheaper comm gear.

As psandak said, the 31 isn't necessary, and if you plan on gearing from raid drops and not just comms, you can get a good MH/OH earlier than Ultimate Comms. But if you have a few mil sitting around, the 31 MH/OH barrel/hilt is the best bang-for-buck for 31 gear.

Also: if you know what look you want, 2 mill should get you 9 MK-9 kits and purple augs for them (mh/oh/+armor).

with 2.4 and the Oriconian story, daily area, and operations, the gear offered for comms shifted down:

• Campaign gear (grade 26) is still available for classic comms
  • "Artifact" gear (grade 28) is now available by running the Oriconian story (completing the quest line gets you five or six pieces of gear). And all grade 28 gear and item modifications can be crafted (different stat distributions, but equivalent gear level).
  • Black Market gear (grade 30) and "artifact" (Dread Guard) relics are available for Basic comms
  • Verpine gear (grade 31) is available for Elite comms
  • Oriconian gear (grade 34) is available for Ultimate comms

NOTE: For both grade 31 and 34 MH weapons, implants and relics are not available for comms

NOTE: Grade 34 item modifications cannot be reverse engineered for schematics...YET. That will probably change when NiM DF and DP come out.

• Level 55HMFPs bosses drop Black Market gear and elite comms
  • the Czerka Core Meltdown final boss drops an Arkanian ear piece token.
  • Set Bonus gear (Arkanian[30], Underworld[31], Kell Dragon[32], and Dread Forged[34], are only available from Operations

NOTE: Kell Dragon gear is only available through NiM operations and will therefore never be able to be reverse engineered for schematics.

The steps are as follows:

1. acquire an item with grade 30 or 31 item modifications (they are available for either basic or elite commendations respectively, or they drop from level 55HMFPs or Operations respectively)
  2. rip the item modification you want the schematic for out of the item
  3. Pray to the RNG gods (because the chance of success is the standard 20%)
  4. Reverse engineer the item modification

If you get the schematic...:D

If not...:(

Rinse and Repeat

Is it possible to give an example for that, with an real item name ?

I fear that I'd buy the wrong item, thus wasting Commendations.

Is it possible to give an example for that, with an real item name ?

I fear that I'd buy the wrong item, thus wasting Commendations.

I have two recent examples across several characters:

The easiest to recount is: I purchased a Verpine offhand for Elite comms on my smuggler, ripped the barrel out of the weapon, put it into a Bind to Legacy (BtL) blaster pistol, sent it to my trooper and armstech, ripped the barrel out of the BtL blaster pistol, reverse engineered it and got the schematic

The other occasion was more involved:

1. I got a Dread Forged unassembled gloves token while running HM DF on my smuggler
  2. I used that token to acquire the gloves for my jedi sage - grade 34/78 with set bonus (not REable at this time)
  3. I ripped the item modifications out of the gloves that I bought, put them into BtL gloves, and sent the BtL gloves to the sage (through the mail)
  4. On my sage, I ripped the item modifications out of the BtL gloves
  5. I then looked at her existing glove item modifications and compared them to a list of the schematics I have: she had grade 30/69 armoring, and grade 31/72 mod and enhancement, none of which I had the schematics for
  6. So I ripped the item modifications out of my sage's existing gloves and set them aside and installed the 34/78 item modifications into her existing gloves
  7. I then installed the lesser item modifications into the BtL gloves and shipped them to my BH and Cybertech
  8. I ripped out the armoring and mod and REed them, getting the grade 30/69 armoring schematic
  9. I then sent the BtL gloves to my Sith Assassin and Artifice
  10. I ripped out the enhancement and REed it and failed to get the schematic
  11. I then shipped the now empty BtL gloves back to my smuggler

In short any item you acquire for basic or elite comms can be Reverse Engineered.

These are the schematics I currently have:

Mod

Aptitude 31

Artful 31

Deft 30A

Deft 31

Elusive 30B

Keen 30

Keen 30A

Keen 31

Resilient 30

Resilient 31B

Armoring

Guardian 30

Guardian 31

Might 30

Reflex 31

Resolve 30

Resolve 31

Skill 30

Enhancement

Adept 31

Assault 30

Efficient 31

Finesse 30

Insight 30

Quick Savant 31

Savant 31

Volition 30

Barrel

Skill 31

Edited by psandak

• 2 weeks later...

[*]Level 55HMFPs bosses drop Black Market gear and elite comms

[*]Set Bonus gear (Arkanian[30], Underworld[31], Kell Dragon[32], and Dread Forged[34], are only available from Operations

NOTE: Kell Dragon gear is only available through NiM operations and will therefore never be able to be reverse engineered for schematics.

In 55HMFP 69[30] Gear will ONLY drop from bonus boss and endboss, all other will drop orange gear with blue 66[28] in it.

Also,

• Arkanian Tokens drop in S&V/TFB/Toborro/Xeno/Eyeless SM and DF/DP SM the first 2 or 3 bosses
  • Underworld in S&V/TFB/Toborro/Xeno/Eyeless HC and the last bosses in DF/DP SM
  • Kell Dragon in S&V and TFB NiM
  • Dread Forged in DF/DP HC
  • The new Set (Dunno the name) rated 81[35 i guess] will drop in DF/DP NiM

Before you ask, there are no NiM modes of Toborros Courtyard, Xenoanalyst II or The Eyeless because they are just one single boss each so it is not worth the effort.

Thank you for the details and confirmation CheaterLL. The intent of my OP is to show the basics of getting grade 30 and 31 schematics; and that for the most part, at this point in time, they are no longer worth actively seeking... because they are so readily available from multiple sources. You successfully proved my point :)

There is no "action" on the overwhelming majority of these items (there is still small a market for barrels and hilts for main hand equipment because those items only drop from operations (can't get them through comms), and a handful of enhancements because they too are only available from operations drops). Being able to acquire almost every item modification through elite comms has dampened the market.

This is the most relevant part of the post, I think, and I guess I'm curious how people feel about the balance in crafting. Artifice can craft hilts, relics, and enhancements that cannot be purchased with comms. Armstech can craft barrels not available with comms. Armstech, Armormech, and Synthweaving craft BIS augments not obtainable elsewhere. This leaves Cybertech somewhat on par with Biochem, without the benefit of free unlimited drugs (sure, the best drugs are not reusable but at least you can get mats in flashpoints and ops and make more for the content that requires it).

Basically, I still make a profit through crafting with my Artificer and Synthweaver, and my Biochem is useful as a drug supplier, but I don't craft with my Cybertech anymore. I have sold some 31 armorings, but they mostly sell at a loss unless I crit, and they don't sell fast enough for that to happen often enough for it to feel worth it. Is anyone else finding this? Are there profitable Cybertech crafts I'm missing?

Are there profitable Cybertech crafts I'm missing?

Plain and simple: Grade 28 armorings and mods. They sell consistently and persistently.

You can also do droid parts to RE for augmentation slot components.

Edited by psandak

Are there profitable Cybertech crafts I'm missing?

31 might stuff tends to sell decently, but I haven't had much luck selling any other 31 mods/ armorings. Purple 28 (66s) items are a consistent seller. They may not bring in the big bucks like a 31 piece, but it adds up over time, and the mats are much cheaper and easier to get. Also, cybertech is the best skill for gathering augment slot components, thanks to droid parts.

Edited by abenegating

• 1 month later...

It seems to me that the true source of profit is free crafting. The crafter advertises they craft for mats at no fee. You trade the crafter, give them the mats, get the item instantly (pre-made or pre-purchased by the crafter) and then the crafter makes a new item: if they not crit on it they just repeat the process above, if they crit on it (make two items succesfully) then they just made a nice profit, possibly millions if it's a 31/34 item.

So the crafter might as well sell everything at crafting price, perhaps even cheaper than it costs to actually craft.

Edited by Kyanzes

It seems to me that the true source of profit is free crafting. The crafter advertises they craft for mats at no fee. You trade the crafter, give them the mats, get the item instantly (pre-made or pre-purchased by the crafter) and then the crafter makes a new item: if they not crit on it they just repeat the process above, if they crit on it (make two items succesfully) then they just made a nice profit, possibly millions if it's a 31/34 item.

So the crafter might as well sell everything at crafting price, perhaps even cheaper than it costs to actually craft.

Thank you for providing me with a thread post to respond to regarding this....

I am officially reminded why I stayed away from grade 30 and 31 crafted item modifications: there's a significant loss of credits unless you crit.

I just looked up the GTN values of the crafting materials involved in making the grade 34 item modifications and even after nearly a week of having craftable 34s, the materials are valued at 2.9 million credits and the typical item modification runs at 2.5 million on the high side (on the Harbinger); you HAVE to crit to profit :( :( :(.

Furthermore you HAVE to hawk your wares in chat to make any sales right now. I've sold a total of three grade 34s on the GTN this week: two barrels and an enhancement.

I'll stick to grade 28s, they sell like hotcakes and at a profit before crits :).

There is a 3rd reason for wanting to get the 30,31,34 schematics that wasn't mentioned. The person looking for them is an OCD completist (looking in a mirror right now, oops, *puts it away* :o) & wants them just so he can have them. I'm w/ you Psandak, I make my bank crafting to the lower levels, the mats are cheap & craft time is low so I can make a lot & get a substantial profit. However, & I'm Speaking solely of myself as a 450 crafter (of any kind) not having a top end schematic is an embarrassment. Its like I'm not really a 450 crafter but a 449.75 crafter.