Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Execution of concept art is lacking

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Execution of concept art is lacking

Hierodule
01.15.2014 , 09:16 AM | #1
I noticed that this: http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/...-pack-male.jpg

is much worse looking than this http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/...r_Variants.jpg

Things that stand out:

1. The shoulder armor seems like a separate plate in the concept, is glued tightly on in the actual armor
2. What seems like a cloth vest in the preview is shiny metal in reality. (why?)
3. Light/dark contrast is higher in the concept, adding interest.
4. Gloves in concept cover powerful fists. real model armor has delicate hands.

Just my observations.

DarthMurdek
01.15.2014 , 09:24 AM | #2
Because the game engine severely limits how nice they can make things look.
Sounds like a good opportunity for violence.

MillionsKNives
01.15.2014 , 09:24 AM | #3
My take on it (also posted to dulfy):

The main reason it looks different is that most armors seem to be "painted on" to the model in SWTOR, making anything that isn't armor plating look skin tight. So while the above images are drawn to look like a layer of clothing, in game it looks more like colored spandex.

OddballEasyEight
01.15.2014 , 09:40 AM | #4
Concept art is just that; Concept.
It is in no way the final product.
Obviously something changed along the way and yeah, I agree that the final version is much more boring, but that's the way it turns out sometimes.
I mean, just look at the way a concept car looks compared to the final product in most cases.

Andryah
01.15.2014 , 09:41 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
My take on it (also posted to dulfy):

The main reason it looks different is that most armors seem to be "painted on" to the model in SWTOR, making anything that isn't armor plating look skin tight. So while the above images are drawn to look like a layer of clothing, in game it looks more like colored spandex.
This is somewhat true. However, they have proven that they can indeed add plate armor pieces even to otherwise cloth looking armor. So.. I don't give them a pass on this.

I think that between the time they did the concept art and the actual implementation..... they decided to make the armor look less "Heavy". Why would they do that... only they know.

But keep in mind, a year ago.. we were actually seeing instances of two implementations of an armor set (regular and "classic"), from one set of concept art. And when we did, one set generally looked to be "Heavy" and the second set "Light/Medium" Which leads one to believe that there are probably multiple sets of concept art for each armor set and that the final choice is made later, and the marketing chimps are choosing different art to use as marketing promotions.

But frankly, we have so much armor to chose from these days in game, I can't get too worked up about departures from concept art on any given pieces these days. If I like it, I acquire it. If I don't, I pass on it.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Nydus
01.15.2014 , 09:51 AM | #6
Interesting. Honestly, I think a problem here is that everything is a bit too form fitting in this game. This was actually one of the few complaints about the portrayal of the Jedi in KOTOR, which was fine considering it was going for a different look than the typical SW Universe but when you get into an MMO there should be far more choice added.

Especially for the non-Force sensitive characters. Seriously, real warriors look like this, not this.

And actually, even for the force-sensitives. The first portrayals of the jedi in the movies were long, flowing robes, slightly disheveled. Do we have anything that is even close to the obi-wan look in this game?

Frankly, I'd like some bulkier looking gear. Funnily enough, you'll notice the concept art in the OP is something a bit more along these lines, but the execution looks a little too much like a (1980's cartoon) super hero's costume for me. So perhaps this is an engine issue.

Edit: It's good work, don't get me wrong, but not what I'm really going for in any of my characters.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

discbox
01.15.2014 , 10:08 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Hierodule View Post
Yes. But it was easier to copy and paste it together from existing old armor parts that they have used a hundred times and recolor it.

Docmal
01.15.2014 , 10:09 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
This is somewhat true. However, they have proven that they can indeed add plate armor pieces even to otherwise cloth looking armor. So.. I don't give them a pass on this.

I think that between the time they did the concept art and the actual implementation..... they decided to make the armor look less "Heavy". Why would they do that... only they know.

But keep in mind, a year ago.. we were actually seeing instances of two implementations of an armor set (regular and "classic"), from one set of concept art. And when we did, one set generally looked to be "Heavy" and the second set "Light/Medium" Which leads one to believe that there are probably multiple sets of concept art for each armor set and that the final choice is made later, and the marketing chimps are choosing different art to use as marketing promotions.

But frankly, we have so much armor to chose from these days in game, I can't get too worked up about departures from concept art on any given pieces these days. If I like it, I acquire it. If I don't, I pass on it.
I believe what you saw a year ago was that the armor sets like Trailblazer's, Despot's, etc. had their "meshes" accidentally removed prior to making it to the live game. I believe this was an error more than anything because the armors were released exactly as intended minus the "meshes". And when I say "meshes" it is a technical term for additional polygon models that are attached after the body paint textures are applied. Once their error was realized they also noticed that people liked the error versions so they kept both to appease both spectrums.

In this case I think you are seeing 2 things:

1) The armors in question look much more like the concept on a type 3 body type. I don't know why but I assume the body type used in the concept is bulkier or the bulkier body type more closely resembles the bulkier clothing in the concept

2) I think the modelers really got lazy on this one. They obviously reused boots and gloves and even assets on the shirt. It is poor work all around if you ask me. Not worth anyone's time and you wont see anyone wearing this set.

All in all I was excited at the prospect of more clothing style sets coming when I saw the concept. When I got the actual items in my pack I was disappointed. I grade these new sets a D-.
Feeling Parsecseh?
<Redemption> @ The Shadowlands
Handrew - Shadow Tank Drewbacca - Guardian DPS
& 13 more...