Arndt's VII script focused on Solo/Skywalker kids.

LadyKulvax

It seems the idea of the new trilogy focusing on the next generation of Solos and Skywalkers was scrapped along with Arndt, his script focused on the next gen of kids but it seems a disagreement on what the story should focus on, the big three or their kids, forced his script off the table.

Personally this sounds bad, bad and more bad, are we seriously going to see a trilogy with half the focus on the same three from the last trilogy? they are nowhere near physically fit enough to go waving props around and honestly, it just seems like a terrible idea in general to have the movies focus on them as main characters, putting Luke, Leia and Han as the major characters in the sequel trilogy.

http://io9.com/michael-arndts-scrapped-star-wars-story-was-about-luke-1499732754

Edited by LadyKulvax

It seems the idea of the new trilogy focusing on the next generation of Solos and Skywalkers was scrapped along with Arndt, his script focused on the next gen of kids but it seems a disagreement on what the story should focus on, the big three or their kids, forced his script off the table.

Personally this sounds bad, bad and more bad, are we seriously going to see a trilogy focused on the same three from the last trilogy? they are nowhere near physically fit enough to go waving props around and honestly, it just seems like a terrible idea in general to have the movies focus on them as main characters, putting Luke, Leia and Han as the major supporting characters in the sequel trilogy.

This may also indicate the complete retcon of Jaina, Jacen, Anakin Solos and Ben Skywalker as part of the Star Wars universe.

And it may just as easily indicate nothing of the sort.

But if something hits you in the head, the sky is falling, right?

Oh I am sorry for having an opinion, please continue to deride me, you look so smart.

You're forming an opinion based on a snippet of information and then extrapolating the worst case scenario. How about wait until you find out what actually is going on before decrying doom and saying how bad it's going to be?

Oh I am sorry for having an opinion, please continue to deride me, you look so smart.

Heh.. off topic already.

It's a discussion forum. You created a discussion thread. It's going to get discussed, editorialized, and counter-opined.

As for the movie scripts, alive, dead, burned, etc... and what they mean..... you will not know until they release the movie. Studios are notorious for spreading script rumors and changing scripts late (sometimes even last minute) to keep the public both guessing and interested. They even circulate false scripts to keep the public guessing.

Edited by Andryah

You're forming an opinion based on a snippet of information and then extrapolating the worst case scenario. How about wait until you find out what actually is going on before decrying doom and saying how bad it's going to be?

/Agree with HoloTweed here.

It states quite clearly that Episode VII will focus on the big three as the main characters of the film.... yes... so completely and utterly unfounded.

But I should have known better than to make any sort of statement in General Discussion.

I'll just point out the irony of where this is going and the fact the 7th Star Trek movie is.... Generations. :p

But I'm not even surprised. They forked up 4bil and they're gonna milk it. And as much as "best case scenario extrapolators" around here would wish it, best way to do that is not to put the existing EU on the silver screen.

My personal dream case scenario would be for them to skip a thousand years or so and give it a reboot. Tired of the royal SW lineages...

It states quite clearly that Episode VII will focus on the big three as the main characters of the film.... yes... so completely and utterly unfounded.

But I should have known better than to make any sort of statement in General Discussion.

It is ok LadyKulvax. I understand your concern. Don't take the conversation personally. It is the nature of the beast that all can speak their minds here and many will not agree with you not matter your stance on things.

IMO, we are dealing with "Hollywood" here. These type of deals fall apart more often than not. Scripts are written and re-written and changed even while shooting and sometimes well into post production. The focus may be the big three now but how they parlay that into a new trilogy of stories for the next generation remains to be seen. It makes some logical sense that they start with the big three and slowly move away from them as things progress.

We will see. Having a good producer/director is the first hurdle. That is done. Now, tbh, I think there are better choices to write this thing than Arndt.

Edited by Rafaman

Personally this sounds bad, bad and more bad, are we seriously going to see a trilogy focused on the same three from the last trilogy?

No, if you read the actual quote, it says the original characters would only be in the forefront for episode VII and then the newer characters would become the focus for VIII and IX.

No, if you read the actual quote, it says the original characters would only be in the forefront for episode VII and then the newer characters would become the focus for VIII and IX.

Yeah, I was just going to point that out. The only difference being made here is that they're giving the original characters "a proper sendoff" before the new cast takes over in the following movies. After the first movie they'll be stepping off the plate.

They could be thinking about re-using the core characters in continuing adventures but with new actors (and cameos from the originals). Of course that would be completely unprecedented but who knows, maybe JJ is that crazy?

75 year old main casts just don't work in action movies that don't have Sly or Clint in them.

Edited by Savej

From what I have read the casting is calling for young and fit looking teens / twenties. They want both boys and girls so my bet is on movies centering around the kids. It makes no sense to make an action Sci-fi movie about old fogies. Specially from Disney. It would never happen.

I'll admit I've never a made feature length, multi-million whatever-currency film before, but I'm a little concerned that the film's supposed (supposedly) to drop end of next year and they haven't sorted out the script yet? I read that there were intentions to keep CGI to a minimum, which implies a lot of costume work, which takes time,and if they don't know what they're doing...

Yes, how bad wouldn't it be to have YET another movie with children/teenagers or/and young adults as the main characters? I don't know about you but that started to feel old a long time ago(pun ftw). Thus how terrible would it be to allow loved, classic and well known characters(as well as actors) to show the results of "all those years" of development of their personalities(+ more)? And more so over time within the movie(s) itself?

Middle age as well as old characters. That way we might even get somewhat free of some of our RL times unhealthy focus. I've heard that GOOD experienced/elderly actors could be compared to old GOOD wine. It gets better with age(experience). While that might not hold true at all times, it do offer some intresting perspectives. Wouldn't you say?

It might not be a new take on things in the genre, but for one I'd feel refreashed.

Yes, how bad wouldn't it be to have YET another movie with children/teenagers or/and young adults as the main characters? I don't know about you but that started to feel old a long time ago(pun ftw). Thus how terrible would it be to allow loved, classic and well known characters(as well as actors) to show the results of "all those years" of development of their personalities(+ more)? And more so over time within the movie(s) itself?

Middle age as well as old characters. That way we might even get somewhat free of some of our RL times unhealthy focus. I've heard that GOOD experienced/elderly actors could be compared to old GOOD wine. It gets better with age(experience). While that might not hold true at all times, it do offer some intresting perspectives. Wouldn't you say?

It might not be a new take on things in the genre, but for one I'd feel refreashed.

Ah, you mean Star Wars as Harry Potter/Hunger Games/Percy Jackson/Twilight in space? Ouch, hadn't thought of them going that direction.

I agree with you about diversity of characters. Not only doesn't it pigeon-hole the story into a clone of the aforementioned, but it also better represents the full demographics of the fans who will be flocking to see at least the first one.

First, I agree with people who are telling you not to jump to conclussions so early.

Second, it wouldn't be weird for the first movie on the trilogy to focus quite a bit on the more grown up characters (besides, you know Hamill/Ford/Fisher being back, no matter their age, is likely to be the main selling point for millions of fans all over the world) and by the end of it show them passing the torch to the younger characters. It would make for a smooth transition.

And about their physical condition, especially Hamill and Fisher's, Hollywood has the best coaches out there, capable of doing some miracles. :p

Edited by Khyle

Ah, you mean Star Wars as Harry Potter/Hunger Games/Percy Jackson/Twilight in space? Ouch, hadn't thought of them going that direction.

I agree with you about diversity of characters. Not only doesn't it pigeon-hole the story into a clone of the aforementioned, but it also better represents the full demographics of the fans who will be flocking to see at least the first one.

Spot on. :rak_03:

I'll admit I've never a made feature length, multi-million whatever-currency film before, but I'm a little concerned that the film's supposed (supposedly) to drop end of next year and they haven't sorted out the script yet? I read that there were intentions to keep CGI to a minimum, which implies a lot of costume work, which takes time,and if they don't know what they're doing...

Yeah... I don't disagree with you, but J.J. Abrams already has the ball. And don't be fooled, it will be his vision that we see on the screen. And while there will be a writer, J. J. and his crew will be writing and changing things up to have things go in the direction they want it to go. That is what I've seen happen with other movies like this once a big name producer/director gets involved.

So, my guess is that there is a lot of prelim work being done on costumes, basic set design, locations, etc. They will make the script fit the movie they want to shoot. Sounds counter intuitive, but it has worked with Whedon and Abrams. Not sure it would work for anyone else.

Edited by Rafaman

They will make the script fit the movie they want to shoot. Sounds counter intuitive, but it has worked with Whedon and Abrams. Not sure it would work for anyone else.

Yeah.. that is part and parcel to Whedon and Abrams style IMO. Seems to make fans coocoo for cocoa puffs though. :p