Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

import TOR achievements to future Star Wars MMO games?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
import TOR achievements to future Star Wars MMO games?

Sadishist's Avatar


Sadishist
01.13.2014 , 10:54 AM | #1
Say if they made another Star Wars MMO that replaces TOR in the future (and chances are they will), would everything we have done here be lost? Or can progress be imported into future Star Wars games?
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

Aries_cz's Avatar


Aries_cz
01.13.2014 , 10:59 AM | #2
So, is this a hidden doom and gloom thread?
There is no reason to think that the game is getting shut down for whatever reason, as it is making boatloads of money.

However, technically speaking, there is no technical problem, but achievements are usually invalidated in sequel games.
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos

Sadishist's Avatar


Sadishist
01.13.2014 , 11:01 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
So, is this a hidden doom and gloom thread?
There is no reason to think that the game is getting shut down for whatever reason, as it is making boatloads of money.

However, technically speaking, there is no technical problem, but achievements are usually invalidated in sequel games.
No it's a suggestion thread. But there will be a day it will join SWG.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

HoloTweed's Avatar


HoloTweed
01.13.2014 , 11:03 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Say if they made another Star Wars MMO that replaces TOR in the future (and chances are they will), would everything we have done here be lost? Or can progress be imported into future Star Wars games?
Whenever a new SW MMO is created (and yes, one would have to believe that will happen, especially with the new movies when fans will want to live in that galaxy, plus revisit the world during the Original Trilogy) it will be a separate, standalone game. It will have its own achievements so there would be absolutely no reason to import anything from TOR into it.

AshlaBoga's Avatar


AshlaBoga
01.13.2014 , 11:05 AM | #5
Not unless it's called SWTOR 2.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

ninjonxb's Avatar


ninjonxb
01.13.2014 , 11:07 AM | #6
Extremely unlikely. I don't think there has been an MMO ever that would take your history from another game and allow you to import them.

They are different games.

Just because it carries the Star Wars title really doesn't mean much.


The only possible chance I can see this happening is if Bioware was to make another MMO (not necessarily star wars) and they had one achievement system.
Free goodies (referral link)
Thank you Bioware for adding in Same Sex Story Arcs .^.
How I feel reading the SWTOR forums http://i.imgur.com/tCp90.gif
SWTOR Calendar of Events(Forum Post)(Google Calendar, iCal, Twitter)

Sadishist's Avatar


Sadishist
01.13.2014 , 11:14 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ninjonxb View Post
Extremely unlikely. I don't think there has been an MMO ever that would take your history from another game and allow you to import them.

They are different games.

Just because it carries the Star Wars title really doesn't mean much.


The only possible chance I can see this happening is if Bioware was to make another MMO (not necessarily star wars) and they had one achievement system.
Look at Dragon Age and Mass Effect (both Bioware series). Progress is imported to future games in the series.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

Aries_cz's Avatar


Aries_cz
01.13.2014 , 11:14 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by HoloTweed View Post
Whenever a new SW MMO is created (and yes, one would have to believe that will happen, especially with the new movies when fans will want to live in that galaxy, plus revisit the world during the Original Trilogy) it will be a separate, standalone game. It will have its own achievements so there would be absolutely no reason to import anything from TOR into it.
I find it highly doubtful, actually. MMOs have a pretty long development cycle, not to mention high development costs. It would be much easier (and cheaper) to cross-promote SWTOR as "the" Star Wars MMO through other single player games that might be tied to the movies.
Sure, it might come, but i guess only after all three new episodes (or whatever Disney wants to produce) are aired, and that is still many years in the future.
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos

ninjonxb's Avatar


ninjonxb
01.13.2014 , 11:15 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Look at Dragon Age and Mass Effect (both Bioware series). Progress is imported to future games in the series.
Um, whats your point?

Even right now in game they don't share achievements, locations, progression, anything... Plus those are single player games.

That is completely different. Those games were designed from the beginning to have a continued story through the games.

But a new star wars MMO will most likely not be a continued story.
Free goodies (referral link)
Thank you Bioware for adding in Same Sex Story Arcs .^.
How I feel reading the SWTOR forums http://i.imgur.com/tCp90.gif
SWTOR Calendar of Events(Forum Post)(Google Calendar, iCal, Twitter)

Aries_cz's Avatar


Aries_cz
01.13.2014 , 11:20 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Look at Dragon Age and Mass Effect (both Bioware series)
These games do not transfer achievements, but "state of the world" and are more or less direct sequels, happening in a relatively short period of time (under 100 years). Not to mention, both are single-player series, not MMOs (yes, there is a difference).
If new Star Wars MMO was made, it would probably be set around timeline of new movies, which are 3000+ years from SWTOR. And lot of things change during that period, so any state of the world would be meaningless. Sure some mentions to the characters might pop up, but nothing specific, as there are hundreds of thousands "same" characters with the "same" story, so the mention might be ambiguous, or according to some unified canon (like that Consular was a Light Side male, same thing that exists for KOTOR games)
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos