Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR, addons and YOU..!!

Aleeha
12.22.2011 , 05:58 PM | #1
Are people not aware that Blizzard doesn''t create the addons what we use? I see lots of posts on forums whining about SWTOR not having addons like - healbot, recount, omen, dbm and the plethora of other things people want. So do people actually think it''s Blizzard that''s hanging out creating these? Furthermore, BW has said that they''re going to open to the API''s to allow people to build addons. The game has been out for freaking less than a week and people whine that it doesn''t have features of a title that''s been out for 7 years and had thousands of hours of outside game development time.

And, people are complaining about LFG and why isn''t it already in the game. Lol, do people have such little understanding of software development? If you''ve designed a piece of software as complex as this without that functionality built in already, to retool the software isn''t just like sitting down and spending a few hours coding. This is a MASSIVE over-haul of the code and would have significantly delayed the release of this title.

Do you really think that Blizzard just a few days and poof LFG was there? Or how about LFD? Why do you think that we still don''t have mail which can be sent from your account to other toons on different servers? The are complex development issues which aren''t just solved in one day.

So folks, be glad that we''ve got SWTOR, it''s a great game. The game is going to only get better and the likelihood of getting the things we want with regards to addon''s will eventually happen.

Lerdoc
12.22.2011 , 06:01 PM | #2
Umm... its not about who creates addons, but support for them. TOR does not support any addons and I find it great-just you and your own skill not enhanced by macros and addons making everyone start and stay on equal field.

Kharik
12.22.2011 , 06:02 PM | #3
Threads, presumptions, and the OP!

Acaulescent
12.22.2011 , 06:03 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Lerdoc656781
Umm... its not about who creates addons, but support for them. TOR does not support any addons and I find it great-just you and your own skill not enhanced by macros and addons making everyone start and stay on equal field.
This.

I tried macros in WoW years ago... I literally almost fell asleep tanking in MC. Macros = easy mode. Do Not Want.
Lieutenant Commander Acaulescent
The Imperial Guard

http://www.imperialguard.org

Gimano
12.22.2011 , 06:03 PM | #5
So good question...any news on when Bioware will start allowing creation of addons?
This is me when I'm mad

tehmoose
12.22.2011 , 06:04 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Aleeha656686
Are people not aware that Blizzard doesn''t create the addons what we use? I see lots of posts on forums whining about SWTOR not having addons like - healbot, recount, omen, dbm and the plethora of other things people want. So do people actually think it''s Blizzard that''s hanging out creating these? Furthermore, BW has said that they''re going to open to the API''s to allow people to build addons. The game has been out for freaking less than a week and people whine that it doesn''t have features of a title that''s been out for 7 years and had thousands of hours of outside game development time.

And, people are complaining about LFG and why isn''t it already in the game. Lol, do people have such little understanding of software development? If you''ve designed a piece of software as complex as this without that functionality built in already, to retool the software isn''t just like sitting down and spending a few hours coding. This is a MASSIVE over-haul of the code and would have significantly delayed the release of this title.

Do you really think that Blizzard just a few days and poof LFG was there? Or how about LFD? Why do you think that we still don''t have mail which can be sent from your account to other toons on different servers? The are complex development issues which aren''t just solved in one day.

So folks, be glad that we''ve got SWTOR, it''s a great game. The game is going to only get better and the likelihood of getting the things we want with regards to addon''s will eventually happen.
Which would be fine if SWTOR was developed in a vacuum.
Remember, Remember, the Beta November.
The lightsaber treason and .
~~~~~ Green Bolts For Dark Troopers! ~~~~

Darth_Mister
12.22.2011 , 06:05 PM | #7
Crutches. That''s what I see people asking for. It seems like players need big text popping up in the middle of the screen, or an out of place voice yelling "RUN AWAY" in order to understand a fight and react accordingly.

I haven''t seen a fight yet that doesn''t have some kind of visual queue that a special attack is about to happen, be it a cast bar on the enemy, a big arse circle or icon on the ground, or some glowing/electrical/explosive emission from the enemy itself. The reliance on third party, Curse downloads to provide dummied down text, parsed directly from the combat log, and plastered on the screen in order to coax a player to do the right thing is ignorant.

I used to think healing in WoW was challenging and only the best players could pull it off, then I messed around with Healbot and realized any scrub can heal. All of those "great" healers suddenly had the curtain pulled back and it became clear they weren''t anything special, just users of a crutch. Now I see folks wanting their mouse over healing crutch in this game. Is healing a four person party really that hard? I don''t even like playing healer classes, but during my months full beta testing I had zero difficulty healing with a smuggler and a mage in any and all situations, Flashpoints, Heroics, 16 players World Boss kills. It''s just not that hard.

I''m all for BW allowing resizing of the UI and more freedom to move bars and boxes around, but third party addons and macros need not ever be entertained.
THE HAND OF LIGHT
Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules,
which you are expected to understand and follow.

KrelosDarksky
12.22.2011 , 06:06 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Gimano656852
So good question...any news on when Bioware will start allowing creation of addons?
Hopefully NEVER.

They are not needed for anyone with a basic understanding of gaming.

Lazzerswords
12.22.2011 , 06:07 PM | #9
The problem is stuff like click to cast , customizable Ui are essential for MMOs. Hate on WOW all you want, but you need a much better interface.

Trineda
12.22.2011 , 06:10 PM | #10
Hello everyone,

In order to keep the forums tidy and conversations in one place please use this thread to discuss the topic of mods and macros, we will be closing this current thread.