Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's the Difference between sin tank and juggernaut tank?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What's the Difference between sin tank and juggernaut tank?

DarthMagician
01.12.2014 , 05:05 PM | #1
Well this question have been on my mind for awhile now. Thought I can figure it out myself by playing both class but fail to find a straight up answer. I mainly play sith sin as tank now leveling sith juggernaut as a tank as well currently at lv47.

That been said I still don't really understand the real difference between the two besides the play style.

For both pvp and pve which is more desired by team mates as tank? Or should I say usefulness.

For pvp I find that sin tank have more utility skills or means to interrupt opponent from cast skills. Where many times opponent dps get annoying enough to swtich their target to me. But as juggernaut tank all I can do is taunt and dps. It seems like juggernaut tank is more about self defense than protecting others. But as a tank u want to go down before your team mates do. Or is there something I'm missing ?

For pve I didn't notice any difference beside the play style.

If anyone can enlighten me would be greatly appreciated.

I also open a question post in pvp section on how a tank should behave in pvp and here's the link
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...43#post7108643

JPryde
01.12.2014 , 05:14 PM | #2
I got a Jedi shadow and a Sith Juggernaut both at 55 and both skilled and equipped for tanking... And apart from the playstyle (which is quite different), there is no difference... and there shouldn't be any.

It is said, that in nightmare, the shadow/assassin tank is no good, cause of the higher damage peaks he gets hit by. I cannot proove that, cause I am not far in nightmare content.

Both type of tanks get the job done including all hardmode operations. Sometimes a Sentinel/Jugger is slightly preferable due to some skill, somtimes the shadow/assassin is preferred due to another skill. at titan 6 HM for example, my shadow is usually holding aggro of the boss and the sentinel tank will gather the adds... this is for the giant bomb, which the shadow tank can simply nullify. The sentinel on the other hand got sword reflection, which is really cool to make mobs kill themselves
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Andryah
01.12.2014 , 06:26 PM | #3
One (the sin) is a finesse tank. Its for people who like a tank that requires thought and finesse.

One (the Jug) is a stand and soak it up tank.

A finesse tank, requires agile use of all your clever little goodies that enable you to tank in cloth. In other words, mitigation is not just primarily passive in nature. A soak it up tank to a much lessor degree, because they have more native passive damage mitigation. If you try to play a finesse tank as a soak it up tank, your life will be miserable IMO.

There is an ongoing debate, and sometimes rage fest in the forum as to if the finesse tank is up to snuf design wise. Damage spikes in nightmares seems to be the main pivot point of the debate.

All that said... you still need to know fundamental tank mechanics and best practices regardless of which one you play. IMO, the jug tank is more forgiving of mistakes of play.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

venomlash
01.12.2014 , 08:32 PM | #4
The Shadow/Assassin has comparatively weaker defensive cooldowns than the Guardian/Juggernaut, but has much shorter timers on them, and so can use them more often. They also do require more finesse and have a few more defensive buffs to juggle.
The Shadow also has much better AoE capabilities. As the three tanking classes go, the Shadow is the AoE tank, the Guardian is the single-target tank, and the Vanguard is the ranged tank who's best at gathering up adds to keep them off the healers. Don't get me wrong; any of them can fill any of those roles, but some are slightly better than others.

Also, the Guardian/Juggernaut is SLOOOW. It's the only tank class that can't break slows/immobilizes without its CC breaker.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

Greylan
01.12.2014 , 09:59 PM | #5
I'm glad you made this thread; I'm returning after 2 years+ gone and am levelling a shadow tank, when I left I had a 50 Guardian tank (who is now 55).

Doesn't the Sin/Shadow tank do significantly more DPS than Jug/Guardian tanks? On a thread in the class forums they concluded that Shadow tanks were doing 30% more DPS than Jugg/Guards. If that number is accurate then there's no question, go Shadow tank. Some of the defensive buffs can be more a pain to maintain (thanks tiny and awkward buff frames!) but not enough to make up for doing 30% more damage over the course of a fight.

At any rate, I hope that number is NOT accurate because I prefer the name/look/animations of my Guard so much more.

Prototypemind
01.13.2014 , 03:19 AM | #6
I personally much prefer my Sin Tank to my Jugg. With the new fixes the damage curve is very stable and predictable overall, the mitigation rotation is the same as before, and there's a lot of flexibility with the class. Bonus to heals, damage reduction for the entire raid/group to enemy attacks, easier time holding aggro--I actually kept stealing aggro from the other tank in the raid earlier without taunting the boss due to the threat our rotation generates--high DPS for a tank class, ability to escape/battle rez via Force Cloak, shorter defensive cooldowns, Force Shroud, and quick movement via Force Speed.

Jugg does have benefits though. Group-wide protection via Force Sream, Intercede to friendlies to drop their threat or reach an area quickly, Force Leap to move between groups, threat-generating stun, powerful defensive cooldowns, albeit with a longer timer, less prone to damage spikes, relatively good at holding single targets.

Why not roll both and see which play style you enjoy more?

DarthMaulUK
01.13.2014 , 04:30 AM | #7
One wears a protective cup, the other is a Jugg
to strive to seek, to find. And not to yield.

Rafaman
01.13.2014 , 05:00 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Prototypemind View Post
I personally much prefer my Sin Tank to my Jugg. With the new fixes the damage curve is very stable and predictable overall, the mitigation rotation is the same as before, and there's a lot of flexibility with the class. Bonus to heals, damage reduction for the entire raid/group to enemy attacks, easier time holding aggro--I actually kept stealing aggro from the other tank in the raid earlier without taunting the boss due to the threat our rotation generates--high DPS for a tank class, ability to escape/battle rez via Force Cloak, shorter defensive cooldowns, Force Shroud, and quick movement via Force Speed.

Jugg does have benefits though. Group-wide protection via Force Sream, Intercede to friendlies to drop their threat or reach an area quickly, Force Leap to move between groups, threat-generating stun, powerful defensive cooldowns, albeit with a longer timer, less prone to damage spikes, relatively good at holding single targets.

Why not roll both and see which play style you enjoy more?
That sums it up pretty well. I have both as well, but I prefer my Shadow. The spike damage issue that has been mentioned has been greatly mitigated with the December patch. Now Shadows build up an armor buff which stacks and for long fights all but eliminates the spike damage.

But IMO, it really depends no what you like doing. For Ops fights focusing around a single boss, you may prefer a guardian. Heavy armor helps a great deal, and you there is no annoying worry that you haven't built up enough mitigation. But for Flashpoints or content with a lot of movements and mobs? Give me a Shadow Tank over any and all tanks. It has the best AOE threat in the game, stealth, force speed, force pull, and a great heal buff for healers using Phase Walk. And... it is a lot of fun to play a Shadow.