Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Let the hate fly, but I still say Bioware should allow you to change your AC

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Let the hate fly, but I still say Bioware should allow you to change your AC

Essence_of_Light's Avatar


Essence_of_Light
01.11.2014 , 10:57 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
allow me to address your "reasons"

1. people who are unhappy with their AC after playing their class for a while will not stay to reroll another character, if they don't enjoy replaying the same story. allowing them to change AC keeps them in a game longer while making them stick to the one they have is more likely to push them out of the game all together.
2. easy has NOTHING to do with it. the question is... is it fun?
3. yeah, no. lets say I level to lvl 55 as a lethality operative and then decide to heal at end game. do I have any clue at all how to play a healer? no. not even remotely. in fact, I'm in an opposite situation right now, I leveled my operative as a healer and I have no clue how to dps on her in either of the specs. leveling 1 to 55 didn't magicaly teach me how to play all three talent trees, I still have to learn the other 2 i didn't touch? from scratch. changing AC is basically the same idea, except instead of 2 trees I don't know how to play, I have 5 tress to chose from, to learn how to play at end game (that, and there's also a small matter of all too many people not having any idea of how to play the talent tree they DID level with)
4. if you switch specs/roles, you probably have the wrong gear for the role/spec you are switching to. in fact - you are in better shape if you switch AC and remain dps then when you keep your AC but switch roles. but armor rating you say? but adoptive armor and ability to transfer mods - I say.
5. and? its an arbitrary restriction and arbitrary warning. there is absolutely no reason for it to remain permanent other then "i don't want other people to have this option"
I respect your opinions but I disagree.
Spoiler
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

OwenBrooks's Avatar


OwenBrooks
01.11.2014 , 10:58 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Flaniganican View Post
No hate, but I do disagree. The main reason is because once they allow this, then the next thing people are gonna complain about will be, "Hey now that i changed my Mara to a Jugg, i want all my mods switched from dps to tank stuff. Oh and my medium armor to heavy armor, I dont want to have to get all my armor over again".

What people don't realize is that asking to be able to change your AC is the same thing as asking for a different set of gear because it's something that you already did and don't want to have to do again. I mean, I get it. My main is a Jugg and it would be nice to switch to a Mara for PvP and back to Jugg to tank a FP but it just shouldn't work that way. Roll another toon if you want to do that.
I agree with you (mostly )

People are going to complain though no matter what over changes ( normal reaction Some recent comments prove that, Oh my guildmate is going to turn into a derp shouldn't be one of them

Jeweledleah's Avatar


Jeweledleah
01.11.2014 , 10:59 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
I respect your opinions but I disagree.
Spoiler
really? becasue it sure sounds like "I have nothing to refute what you just wrote, but don't wish to admit it, so I'm going to give myself an out "

OwenBrooks's Avatar


OwenBrooks
01.11.2014 , 11:01 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
allow me to address your "reasons"
seriously? that's your objection? do people ask in droves to be able to change their gear from tank to dps to healer when they switch roles via respec now? (well, some probably do) should they actualy be listened to? there's an understanding in game already that certain gear works best for certain roles. some people never really get that idea and gear improperly with or without AC change. they need to be educated, solution is NOT to restrict access from everyone else, just becasue a few are a bit... less sharp.

its not even remotely like asking to be able to switch mods.

more like asking to be able to respec (which we can already do) but instead of 3 trees to chose from - you get 6 trees to chose from.
This I agree with

s_w_sanders's Avatar


s_w_sanders
01.11.2014 , 11:07 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
really? becasue it sure sounds like "I have nothing to refute what you just wrote, but don't wish to admit it, so I'm going to give myself an out "
sounding like that to me too.

CrazyMcGee's Avatar


CrazyMcGee
01.11.2014 , 11:22 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
You don't get it do you? Even if they do it while they are NOT in a raid or flashpoint, they are still changing the WHOLE WAY they play the game. Essentially, this means they have to relearn the entire class again.
But changing their skill tree is changing the whole way they play the game, changing the composition of the raid team, and everything else you are saying. You think someone who has always been a dps can suddenly heal if they respec? And they would need to change their gear.

So your raid team could cope with your tank deciding to go dps from now on, but you couldn't cope with a gunslinger dps changing to scoundrel dps? Your argument doesn't make any sense. Gunslinger dps vs soundrel dps could also start off reasonably well with the same gear too.

Flaniganican's Avatar


Flaniganican
01.11.2014 , 11:27 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
seriously? that's your objection? do people ask in droves to be able to change their gear from tank to dps to healer when they switch roles via respec now? (well, some probably do) should they actualy be listened to? there's an understanding in game already that certain gear works best for certain roles. some people never really get that idea and gear improperly with or without AC change. they need to be educated, solution is NOT to restrict access from everyone else, just becasue a few are a bit... less sharp.

its not even remotely like asking to be able to switch mods.

more like asking to be able to respec (which we can already do) but instead of 3 trees to chose from - you get 6 trees to chose from.
The point I was trying to make is that asking to change your AC is the same thing as asking for something that you don't have to work for because you already did it once. That would be the same thing as asking for a different set of end gear because you already have one for a different class. Would you think it's fair to trade in an entire set of dps 78's for a set of tank 78's? I'm sure if they did this you wouldn't like it and that's basically how I feel about changing your AC. If they do eventually allow you to change your AC, it probably wouldn't be game breaking but I like it the way it is. Roll a new toon and be done with it. You could have been off the starter planet by now
The Hatemore Legacy
Flanagan | Jung Ma

Essence_of_Light's Avatar


Essence_of_Light
01.11.2014 , 11:31 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
allow me to address your "reasons"

1. people who are unhappy with their AC after playing their class for a while will not stay to reroll another character, if they don't enjoy replaying the same story. allowing them to change AC keeps them in a game longer while making them stick to the one they have is more likely to push them out of the game all together.
2. easy has NOTHING to do with it. the question is... is it fun?
3. yeah, no. lets say I level to lvl 55 as a lethality operative and then decide to heal at end game. do I have any clue at all how to play a healer? no. not even remotely. in fact, I'm in an opposite situation right now, I leveled my operative as a healer and I have no clue how to dps on her in either of the specs. leveling 1 to 55 didn't magicaly teach me how to play all three talent trees, I still have to learn the other 2 i didn't touch? from scratch. changing AC is basically the same idea, except instead of 2 trees I don't know how to play, I have 5 tress to chose from, to learn how to play at end game (that, and there's also a small matter of all too many people not having any idea of how to play the talent tree they DID level with)
4. if you switch specs/roles, you probably have the wrong gear for the role/spec you are switching to. in fact - you are in better shape if you switch AC and remain dps then when you keep your AC but switch roles. but armor rating you say? but adoptive armor and ability to transfer mods - I say.
5. and? its an arbitrary restriction and arbitrary warning. there is absolutely no reason for it to remain permanent other then "i don't want other people to have this option"



seriously? that's your objection? do people ask in droves to be able to change their gear from tank to dps to healer when they switch roles via respec now? (well, some probably do) should they actualy be listened to? there's an understanding in game already that certain gear works best for certain roles. some people never really get that idea and gear improperly with or without AC change. they need to be educated, solution is NOT to restrict access from everyone else, just becasue a few are a bit... less sharp.

its not even remotely like asking to be able to switch mods.

more like asking to be able to respec (which we can already do) but instead of 3 trees to chose from - you get 6 trees to chose from.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
really? becasue it sure sounds like "I have nothing to refute what you just wrote, but don't wish to admit it, so I'm going to give myself an out "



First of all I am not giving myself "an out". In case you don't know in Texas (GMT) it is 11:33pm, and unlike some people I have a life to live and things to do, so I need my sleep. But since you all are so insistent that im taking "an out", I'll take the time to reply to the 5 points left.

1. If people are really unhappy with their AC, then they will take the time to reroll. What you basically said is, "If they don't like their AC, then they quit". No, it doesn't happen like that, if people don't like it then they either play a different class or reroll their AC because they have no other choice. Plus, if they don't enjoy the story, no one is forcing them to replay it. There are other methods of getting to 55 without the Class Stories including GSF, Arenas, Warzones, and Flashpoints.

2. Easy DOES have stuff to do with it! Because it is easy to get XP, then they will level up a lot faster with their new chosen AC. And for the question, "is it fun", that all depends on what the person is doing. If a PvE centric person is doing PvP, then of course it most likely won't be fun. But if they are doing, what they enjoy, then it'll be fun.

3. Lol, no. You didn't even read this point did you? Its not just about changing roles (heal, dps, tank), its about changing EVERYTHING. If you change from heals to dps, all you have to learn is the rotation and keybinds. If you change a whole AC, it changes EVERYTHING. You need new gear, plus you have to learn new MECHANICS. Lets look at Operative to Sniper. If you change from OP to Sniper then you have to relearn everything from keybinds, to abilites, to mechanics (the cover mechanic), no stealth and you are now a RANGED dps. It is significantly easier to learn a new tree in your AC than learn a new AC of your class.

4. I actually agree with you on this one, and am sorry because I did not think of it that way. But that doesn't dismiss the fact of having to learn totally new mechanics and skills.

5. Bioware put a warning there for a reason. If they wanted you to be able to change, then they wouldn't have put it there, now would they? It is to prevent people who are clueless from messing up Endgame even more then it is now.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go to sleep, so I can actually get up in the morning.
Spoiler
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

CrazyMcGee's Avatar


CrazyMcGee
01.11.2014 , 11:32 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Flaniganican View Post
The point I was trying to make is that asking to change your AC is the same thing as asking for something that you don't have to work for because you already did it once. That would be the same thing as asking for a different set of end gear because you already have one for a different class. Would you think it's fair to trade in an entire set of dps 78's for a set of tank 78's? I'm sure if they did this you wouldn't like it and that's basically how I feel about changing your AC. If they do eventually allow you to change your AC, it probably wouldn't be game breaking but I like it the way it is. Roll a new toon and be done with it. You could have been off the starter planet by now
If you had to give up your dps 78s to trade them for tank 78s, then I wouldn't actually have a problem with that. You did the work already, so why does it matter which stats you got? I wouldn't want you to keep both if you didn't earn both, but have you never heard the expression "fair exchange is no robbery"?

Helig's Avatar


Helig
01.11.2014 , 11:33 PM | #30
Flexibility of customizing our character base>fragile ego of certain individuals who think that levelling a character to 55 is an "achievement".

Playing since release, got at least each AC type at 55, should be pushing the "I rerolled, so now you have to" attitude, but, quite frankly, freedom of customization>enforcing arbitrary limitations (omg, classes are set in stone, the MMOs that I know don't do that, so that's the only way!), which some players seem to treat as a religious dogma.

Respeccing ACs shouldn't be something mundane. Give it a week cooldown, or a considerable price tag - don't care. As long as we have the option
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie