Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why so much hate on this fantastic game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why so much hate on this fantastic game?

ODTONE
01.13.2014 , 11:42 AM | #71
because it could be much better and killed a huge amount of its population,
who suffered from that, yes you guessed right , the players!
I still play and hope someday for the greatness that you talk about or has been promised to me...

a saying : hope dies last

Elfa
01.13.2014 , 01:25 PM | #72
I love the game, that's why I still sub since launch, I just don't agree with developer choices all the time.
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

Denerio
01.13.2014 , 01:43 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Reno_Tarshil View Post
It just got an expansion. The GSF.
bwahahahahaha

Nydus
01.13.2014 , 01:54 PM | #74
My understanding is that all MMOs have rather "hateful" communities, but I think in particular there were a lot of people thinking that BioWare would deliver a "next generation" MMO (whatever that means) and instead got something a little bit more traditional. Which I've never quite understood because I've been trying sci-fi MMOs out for about a decade an TOR is the most polished, complete, stable game at launch out of all of them.

However, I guess I do think the game isn't exactly revolutionary (sans the really cool voice acting component, etc.). But games that push the envelope like that typically don't last long when they are million dollar projects (*cough*Tabula Rasa*cough*).

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

Helig
01.13.2014 , 01:56 PM | #75
Why so much hate? Because it could have been SO MUCH better.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

CosmicKat
01.13.2014 , 02:19 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
My understanding is that all MMOs have rather "hateful" communities, but I think in particular there were a lot of people thinking that BioWare would deliver a "next generation" MMO (whatever that means) and instead got something a little bit more traditional. Which I've never quite understood because I've been trying sci-fi MMOs out for about a decade an TOR is the most polished, complete, stable game at launch out of all of them.

However, I guess I do think the game isn't exactly revolutionary (sans the really cool voice acting component, etc.). But games that push the envelope like that typically don't last long when they are million dollar projects (*cough*Tabula Rasa*cough*).

- Arcada
TOR's only "unique feature" is cinematic storylines. This feature existed in RPG's and Adventure Games since at least the 80's-90's.

Other than that, TOR is a generic, milquetoast MMO with fancy graphics. As people have said, it's not that it is or was bad, it's that it was hyped to be a Corvette and it turned out to be a Chevette.

ZionHalcyon
01.13.2014 , 02:24 PM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I do not understand why so many people hate on this game. I think its the BEST MMO there is on the market. Im not going to go into everything you can do in the game because we all know by now what it has to offer. I am just so tired of people saying how it will be dead soon. I just don't see it happening.
There are legit reasons to be critical, and in some cases hate this game, especially with how hard the dev team sold class stories before the game, and how with a change in management and all those guys getting fired, they are not only not doing future class stories but gutting the crap out of stuff that was already in the works and removing all class story from that.

THAT SAID...

I do think it is foolish of anyone to say the game is going to be dead anytime soon. The abortion of a game that was SWG lasted 8 years. And this game has plenty to offer to people who just don't care about story, at least the main stories.

The stuff that the devs do choose to do, they do well. It still just bites my arse that the current team not only knocked over one of the supposed major pillars of the game, but have done so in such malicious fashion that it now feels like they are dancing on its grave...

ZionHalcyon
01.13.2014 , 02:27 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
TOR's only "unique feature" is cinematic storylines. This feature existed in RPG's and Adventure Games since at least the 80's-90's.

Other than that, TOR is a generic, milquetoast MMO with fancy graphics. As people have said, it's not that it is or was bad, it's that it was hyped to be a Corvette and it turned out to be a Chevette.
It could have been that corvette had they gone cash shop from day 1. The money they bring in from the market is unreal and enough to support making more class stories, even if more creative means to do so might need to be employed.

If the Cartel Market was here from day 1, I still contend the original dev team never would have been fired.

Then again, its a catch 22, because I think the original dev team was against microtransactions, so it never would have worked anyway.

Story on the level that SWTOR tried to tell still has a venue to be proitable and doable. Just some very bad decisions by the original team made it impossible for them to continue as they first did.

Elly_Dawn
01.13.2014 , 02:33 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post

so...

this isn't the Vette you're looking for...

*crickets chirping*
if all the great fashion designers have gone over to the Darkside, then i will too...
Jedi Covenant: The Ashtear Legacy:

Elhaym - Shadow / Shinoa - Scoundrel
Dawnaria - Assassin / Adawn - Mercenary / D'jour - Operative

CosmicKat
01.13.2014 , 02:43 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
It could have been that corvette had they gone cash shop from day 1. The money they bring in from the market is unreal and enough to support making more class stories, even if more creative means to do so might need to be employed.

If the Cartel Market was here from day 1, I still contend the original dev team never would have been fired.

Then again, its a catch 22, because I think the original dev team was against microtransactions, so it never would have worked anyway.

Story on the level that SWTOR tried to tell still has a venue to be proitable and doable. Just some very bad decisions by the original team made it impossible for them to continue as they first did.
The game had more players and far more subscribers at launch when there was no CM.

It has never recovered those customers, and I would wager, never come close to matching the income derived from the 2-2.5 million subscription fees it was collecting back then.

If the game had been good enough to keep 2 or even 1 million of those, there would be no CM. Cash shops are what you do when the game fails.