Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

cancel my subscription

CrazyMcGee
01.12.2014 , 03:49 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Actually I was thinking, EA help website has live chat if you can get to it by changing country etc
I actually tried this, Owen, when the Refer a Friend was giving me so much grief.

EA's Live Chat won't support SWTOR. They wasted 5 minutes of my time with my name and e-mail address and whatever, then said they can't help with SWTOR and referred me back to SWTOR Customer Support.

But it was a nice idea

BrianDavion
01.12.2014 , 03:52 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DataBeaver View Post
Yeah, let's all give our email to the megacorporations who will datamine the hell out of it.

good point, better not deal with any corperations. including EA!

DataBeaver
01.12.2014 , 03:52 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Prototypemind View Post
I also don't understand the umbrage you take at the suggestion to use an Android Emulator so that you can have a mobile security key. How many different PCs are you running from that this is really a problem?
Two, usually. My desktop at home and my laptop elsewhere. This means I'd have to install the emulator on the laptop, since that's the one I always have with me. But when I'm at home, the laptop is often in my backpack, so I'd have to get it out, boot it up and start the emulator to play the game. I know how to keep my passwords and email secure, so using the emulator is not worth the hassle for me. My friend doesn't own a laptop, so installing the emulator and security key app on her home PC would prevent her from playing on a guest PC at LAN parties.
Quote: Originally Posted by Prototypemind View Post
People have offered helpful suggestions to make it easy for your friend and the OP to get back into the game.
The email address associated with an account cannot be changed without first logging into the account, and my friend cannot log in since the OTP message is not arriving at the current email address. I'll check if she has asked support to change the address, but I suspect she has.

Similarly, changing ISPs could reduce OTP prompts in the future, but won't help with getting into the account now.

I know little about the security keys, but I assumed that you'd need to log in to your account in order to sync the key for the first time. Is this not the case?

DataBeaver
01.12.2014 , 03:56 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
How many computers do you play on? You could install emulator on all of them and use that. If you use the same setup numbers, it should theoretically work...
Hmm, hadn't considered that. Still, starting up the emulator before I can play is an extra step for little benefit. See my previous message.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
Also, who has multiple computers but not a smartphone?
I do have a smartphone, but it's an N900 running Maemo. Last I checked, the security key app is only available for Android and iOS. This also excludes anyone who uses a Blackberry or a Symbian-based phone.

OwenBrooks
01.12.2014 , 04:04 AM | #25
Physical Security key can be gotten world widish , Worst case if in Australia for example and ebay is no good to you, then setup a www.myus.com account and ship one direct from the states

yes may be a little more this way , but then its the physical key you can put on your key ring and take any where with you

Rusah
01.12.2014 , 04:16 AM | #26
I have had issues with the one time password's myself. Even tho i was on the same connection at the same time it would ask me for one time pass to log into game, then two seconds later another to log into the forum. Since my ip address would not change in a two minute space it annoyed me to no end.

My solution was to put the security key app on my phone. OP you mentioned you cannot afford long distance on your mobile, which imply you have a mobile phone.

Install the security key app, it costs nothing, generates security key passwords to use in place of one time right on your phone, which will make this issue go away.

Also the security key vendor has one time use fleet passes for 1k credits for sale. I find them incredibly useful since the cool down timer is only 1 hour and you can buy as many as you want making the jump to fleet easy, giving you quck access to you ship, transport terminal outside the hanger and daily/weekly pickup points.

magi_melcior
01.12.2014 , 04:18 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Physical Security key can be gotten world widish , Worst case if in Australia for example and ebay is no good to you, then setup a www.myus.com account and ship one direct from the states

yes may be a little more this way , but then its the physical key you can put on your key ring and take any where with you
^^^This, if you can't use the mobile app or some other software key there is always the old fashioned physical one, cost me 2.99 so it is hardly expensive.
ASHES OF THE ORDER THE SITH DIS-ORDER
THE RED ECLIPSE
Visit our website

DataBeaver
01.12.2014 , 04:24 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by magi_melcior View Post
^^^This, if you can't use the mobile app or some other software key there is always the old fashioned physical one, cost me 2.99 so it is hardly expensive.
I'd have gotten that ages ago if it was officially available to Europe. Clicking the "order on origin" link for the security key gives me a 404 page. Origin isn't letting me change the country either. I don't really understand why they are selling them separately to the US and EU anyway, when it's really the same hardware

I'll have to consider using some sort of fake US address. However, due to reasons outlined above, the benefit for me is pretty much limited to the extra 50 CC per month.

OddballEasyEight
01.12.2014 , 06:49 AM | #29
I'd have gotten that ages ago if it was officially available to Europe. Clicking the "order on origin" link for the security key gives me a 404 page. Origin isn't letting me change the country either. I don't really understand why they are selling them separately to the US and EU anyway, when it's really the same hardware

I'll have to consider using some sort of fake US address. However, due to reasons outlined above, the benefit for me is pretty much limited to the extra 50 CC per month.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Th...item35c3c96b8c

http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Colle.../dp/B00774306S

And as far as I can recall (been a loooong time since I did it) you don't need to log in to the account before syncking with the account.
Apparantly I have multiple accounts. And apparantly I argue with myself on those accounts.
http://www.swtor.com/r/6S24xq free stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-...roj4L9Q/videos my blaster sound videos.

Aries_cz
01.12.2014 , 08:01 AM | #30
Hmm, hadn't considered that. Still, starting up the emulator before I can play is an extra step for little benefit. See my previous message.

I do have a smartphone, but it's an N900 running Maemo. Last I checked, the security key app is only available for Android and iOS. This also excludes anyone who uses a Blackberry or a Symbian-based phone.
Android emulators usually boot almost instantly (speaking about the official ones that come with SDK and are severely limited with RAM and CPU power, I am sure Bluestacks is a bit better than that). It might be a bit slower than checking into your mail account, but it is fail-proof, unlike the OTP system, where dozen things can go wrong on any end of the system.

And true, I forgot about the other smartphone OS (especially Symbian, been a while since I met anyone using it). As for Blackberry, there was a promise it will be available "soon", but nothing so far...
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link