Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

F2P restrictions.

Tsillah
01.12.2014 , 11:28 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Cordarn View Post
So first off there really is no difference between preferred status and free play status aside form you have access to three or four more things. Further more, is that a lot of the restrictions placed are down right ridiculous.

Restrictions like these:
-Most emotes are blocked, this I don't understand.
- Credit cap, putting a credit cap (not to mention a pretty low credit cap) is absurd. Its like putting a cap on how much air you can breath. Seriously you can't buy much cool items like the cassus fett armour or varactyls with 350k or anything on the gtn unless its lowgrade gear.
-having to wait a period of time between each message you send in general chat, now this is just annoying and doesn't make a lick of sense.
-Increased vendor and modification removal prices, not only do you have a low amount of money because of the credit cap but now they are increasing prices so you run out of money faster!
-Xp reduction, your reducing my how fast someone can level now?
That only list some.

Come on Bioware, put on some reasonable restrictions and remove the boneheaded ones.
Use your brain first please. There are 2 glaringly obvious reasons why your rant is utterly ridiculous:

1) It's F2P. Turn it any way you want but your paying **** all for what you get. You simply have no right to complain about restrictions if you don't pay anything. If you don't get that, then that's an entirely different problem. Yep, it's that word entitlement.

2) You seem to be very concerned about the credit cap. Well let me explain the dead obvious: F2P accounts without this strict credit cap is about the same as saying gold sellers and spam are ok. You seem to have no concept of how useful it is to gold sellers to have F2P accounts, especially if they can move large sums of credits. Gold sellers and their adds used to be a completely rarity. Since F2P they have become relatively common on starter planets and you even see them on the fleet here and there now. I do not want more gold sellers ruining my game experience so please take a hike with your thoughtless propositions. Gold sellers must be restricted. It's for this reason that you have to wait with chat messages, a credit cap and cannot queue crafting orders. It's all because of gold sellers. So when you say this makes no sense, it really just means you have no clue about this sort of thing.

So excuse me for ranting right back at you, but you are far from the first on this forum to come and complain about the exact same things with the exact same lack of understanding of how and why some of these things work this way.

Too much text? F2P means FREE. Restrictions are fair and limit gold seller activities. Stop being entitled and start using your brain is my advice.

/counterrant
Galactic Command shall fall. May the Empire rise!

Gratuitous display of referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB Use it for some goodies or don't

Andryah
01.12.2014 , 12:52 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorvan View Post
Could you post your "conversion kit" by chance? I'd like to prepare for my next trip to the Preferred Land.
I see Jeweldleah pretty well covered it already...but a few things to add:

1) Event Equipment Authorization - It no longer applies for some event content, but I expect they will freeze preferred out of new event content when it launches.....at least for some period of time. So it is prudent to have this one as well IMO.

2) GTN listing Unlocks, IF you plan to sell items on the GTN. These come in unlocks of 10 slots each. Personally, I have 5 of the unlocks so that I have the same listing depth as when subbed.

3) If you have not already unlocked your full inventory and cargo slots (account wide) either do it before you go preferred... or snap up those unlocks as well. Cargo Bay Unlock you get the first time you sub and I do not believe that expires when you drop down to preferred.

4) Make sure you have character slots unlocked sufficient for your needs as you will be playing preferred at 6 Characters + up to 10 unlocks (16 max at preferred). Unless you are a raging althaholic like me, this is pretty easy to manage. In my case, I'll have to retire some characters, but when/if I decide to go preferred.. that's a non issue to me.

5) a stack of 600K escrow transfers, sufficient to meet your cash flow needs for the forseeable future. The number depends on how much access to your escrowed wealth you think you want as preferred. In my case, since they routinely sell for 75K on Harbinger.. I picked up 75 of them. Basically I invested 6M credits to have access to 40M in escrow. And if I don't use them, I can always resell them and probably even make a profit if I sell them at the right time of the week.

Naturally, you want to do unlocks for "account" not "character" unless you only plan to play one or two characters.
"The internet has enabled so much and empowered so many. But it can also be a place where the basic rules of decency are suspended and pettiness and negativity thrive, - Tim Cook, Apple CEO

Andryah
01.12.2014 , 01:05 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthMaulUK View Post
Free to play games make more money, when they are actually FREE to play. Guild Wars 2, Rift LOTRO have all seen increase in numbers and money since being free to play.
SWTOR is making (by reports in quarterly earnings calls) 2X the revenue it made the day it went freemium. And it is the largest freemium MMO in the western market at the moment. And while EA does not breakout exact revenue by product line, it's not hard to figure out what the yearly revenue run rate for SWTOR was in 2013 ------> $175-200M.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthMaulUK View Post
SWTOR is not free to play. It's freemium. They have a disgraceful three tier system which punishes players who left the game just after launch and EA/Bioware are essentially blaming them for the games massive failure in numbers.
That "discraceful three teir system" is actually common in today's MMO market. Turbine invented it in fact. Each company does it a little different, but in terms of actual real life economic drain on the player, SWTOR is actually quite modest by comparison IF you take time to understand how it works and take advantage of the local player economies to get your content unlocks from other players for in game credits instead of paying real life money for cartel coins.

As for players who left the game, they get preferred status automatically, which with smart acquisition of unlocks, those dis-invested players can actually play this game for free with very very few actual restrictions, most simply from use of credits they abandoned on the accounts to begin with.
"The internet has enabled so much and empowered so many. But it can also be a place where the basic rules of decency are suspended and pettiness and negativity thrive, - Tim Cook, Apple CEO

Andryah
01.12.2014 , 01:06 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Killance View Post
Please stop spamming that thread link all over the forum. kay thanx.

Killance
01.12.2014 , 01:12 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Please stop spamming that thread link all over the forum. kay thanx.
It was relavent, but guess it got trolled to **** on WoW so the thread got deleted.

Basically what it said is that P2P games that go F2P end up being terrible.

Also, unless a Mod says stop I can post link to different threads on different forums anytime I want.

Andryah
01.12.2014 , 01:12 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
well... lets use cell phone plans as equivalent.
To me, a better equivalent analogy would be a restaurant that offers you an "all you can eat" price and an "a la carte price" for the same item selections. Freemium MMO business models most closely follow this approach. You can pay one price and have access to it all, or you can just buy the items you actually want. And the approach actually serves different customers quite well. It also gives the customer more control over how they spend their money. Of course the "all you can eat" model makes more sense to the customer that wants to taste everything and save some money in the process.

And the Cartel Market (other then unlocks) is the desert tray for the most part. And for both all you can eat and a la carte, desert is extra.

Andryah
01.12.2014 , 01:14 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Killance View Post
Basically what it said is that P2P games that go F2P end up being terrible.
AND.. it was wrong in that assessment.

AND.. no you are not supposed to link other MMO forum threads. And especially not a dead link for a thread that clearly was trolling in the other forum. That's called cross trolling. Even mmorpg frowns on it in their forum.

But hey.. now that it no longer exists, maybe you will stop linking it, and actually contribute to the discussion if you are going to post, eh?

Killance
01.12.2014 , 01:17 PM | #48

AND.. no you are not supposed to link other MMO forum threads. And especially not a dead link for a thread that clearly was trolling in the other forum. That's called cross trolling.
Until I get banned, i will keep doing it.

Another part of that thread was that you end up paying more for the F2P games than P2P. Reason for that is that the company bribes you with all the packs and vanity items. Not only are you wasting money by spending more than what you did when it was p2p, the restrictions of the F2P are just out right wrong. Rift, Tera, Maple Story and so on have great F2P formula's that work amazingly.

Spatology
01.12.2014 , 01:21 PM | #49
I agree with OP.

There are just a few things keeping me from going prefered and never looking back. Come on guys!

Support the releaseing of the noose around preffered status (ie. crafting, mod extractions, credit caps and transfering abilities) and you will NEVER SEE THIS FACE AGAIN! Imagine, a SWtOR forum without me always in here debbie downing everything.

Im sure that might garner some support.

Spatology
01.12.2014 , 01:23 PM | #50

AND.. no you are not supposed to link other MMO forum threads. And especially not a dead link for a thread that clearly was trolling in the other forum. That's called cross trolling. Even mmorpg frowns on it in their forum.

But hey.. now that it no longer exists, maybe you will stop linking it, and actually contribute to the discussion if you are going to post, eh?
Cross trolling isnt even a real thing. Im pretty sure you just made that term up.