Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Event Suggestion: Do you remember the KOTOR Dueling Ring of Taris?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Event Suggestion: Do you remember the KOTOR Dueling Ring of Taris?

Saito_Hiraga
01.10.2014 , 11:17 AM | #1
If you played KOTOR you must know exactly what Im talking about

If you didn't, well I'll explain it here...

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...52/Taris15.JPG

The Dueling Ring was part of a quest on Taris where you become Ajuur the Hutt's new fighter under the name of "The Mysterious Stranger" and you had to defeat all the ring fighters in one on one combat to get some credit rewards.

What Im suggesting is that we get a similar kind of dueling ring (maybe on Nar Shadda) as a week event like the Bounty Brooker's event, where people can sign for tournaments that works like a warzone arena but where only the winner gets rewarded with a big amount of credits and comms.

How would it work?:

Place an NPC where the arena should be at (It could even be Jiradda the Hutt or also Baron Deathmark who are already famous on ToR for this kind of games.) when you talk to him he gives you the option to sign for the tournament or leave. When you sign for it you automatically get into a queue (if you leave the queue you of course get removed from the list) and when the tournament list gets full (8 people signs for it) every participant gets a WZ pop and gets into a WZ where everyone starts on an individual forcefield cell placed at the border of a circular arena in a way everyone is facing another player. While everyone gets inside the wz, let the announcer says his words to the spectators and stuff, when the timer for the warzone to start ends. a pair of players facing each other selected at random gets free from their cells and must fight each other to the death. when the combat ends the winner is returned to its cell and let the player who lost to decide to evacuate the warzone or stay to spectate the rest of the fights, (that player is already removed from the tournament list so he's not fighting again), and repeat the process until every pair of players on the warzone have taken their turns. (only 4 players will remain) Let the announcer take a short speech about the remaining combatants and then release two players at random who must fight again (that will leave 3 players left). after that fight, the other two players get released to fight. (leaving only the two finalists) Let the announcer take a little speech again about the final battle and release the remaining players to fight each other (an epic song for when the battle begins would be sweet) when the combat ends the winner gets priced with a big amount of credits and WZ comms and gets locked from participating for today (If you lose. You get nothing but your are still able to sign for the next tournament).

This Dueling Ring event could also have its own Reputation tab, in that case players who lost in the elimination round get the small rep. items, players who lost at the semifinal and final rounds get the medium rep. items and the winner of the tournament gets the large rep. item.

As for the reputation vendors we could get some of the classic outfits used by the ring fighters on KOTOR: Dead Eye Duncan, Twitch and the Mandalorian armor of Bendak Starkiller for Legend rank.

RiVaN_
01.10.2014 , 12:04 PM | #2
I dig this idea.
I give it a thumbs up!
I may steal it as a guild event in the future...
Drivan, Sentinel - Souls of Fate
Nikolete, Scoundrel, Republic FlashFire - Souls of Fate
Vixis, Juggernaut - The Defenestrators
Souls of Fate - Jedi Covenant

s_w_sanders
01.10.2014 , 03:42 PM | #3
I'd enjoy this, I don't know if I'd do good but i'd participate so I support.

Muljo_Stpho
02.14.2014 , 01:06 AM | #6
Sounds... awesome... if you enjoy pvp? Did you have any thoughts for a more accessible pve component to this or would this be an event where everyone that isn't a hardcore pvp player just sits it out and continues doing whatever they would have been doing anyway?

Something somewhere in between this idea and the bounty event could be interesting though. Sign up for it and it puts you in a queue, get on a team (bolstered but not role neutral) and enter the arena to face off against a team made up of one random enemy of comparable strength to a kingpin and three random enemies of comparable strength to the henchmen.

Or maybe there's room for both. You select which one you'll queue for in the conversation when you register for a match but the warzone and flashpoint will count towards the same event daily. Maybe even make the daily require 2 or 3 victories so there's room for players to decide whether they want to do it all one way, all the other way, or with a mix of both types of matches.

Anyway...

Quote:
Do you remember the KOTOR Dueling Ring of Taris?
Something else to point out to me that I apparently forgot 99% of what happened in those games after I completed them.

Saito_Hiraga
03.13.2014 , 01:21 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Muljo_Stpho View Post
Something else to point out to me that I apparently forgot 99% of what happened in those games after I completed them.
I dont, I totally loved those games... :C

Saragundius
04.03.2014 , 01:23 AM | #9
I really dig this idea.

Muljo_Stpho
04.03.2014 , 01:41 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Saito_Hiraga View Post
I dont, I totally loved those games... :C
I didn't dislike them. All details about anything that happened in them just seems to have completely slipped my mind. I liked them as I played through them but I guess nothing about them stuck out as being all that memorable.

I have started replaying the first game a bit since I last posted in this topic though, so I have seen the dueling ring again.... They actually kind of missed a chance to replicate it with the finale of Dromund Kaas for the Bounty Hunter class. They probably could have framed that as a number of duels instead of a free for all.

Anyway, so this idea is still strictly PVP only then? You wouldn't want even a hint of a PVE side to an event like this? I realize that my suggestion lost the "duel" part of it but there's got to be something to make this an idea that everybody could find interesting instead of only being interesting to a certain section of the fanbase.