Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Bomber Class Starfighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Bomber Class Starfighter
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

XavinNydek
01.09.2014 , 01:35 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
Looks like they have not seen any fundamental change from closed beta, which means they're about to ruin GSF again.
I'm afraid of the same thing. The numbers were unbalanced in testing, which didn't help, but the main problem is that getting hit with passive, non-skill based damage was not fun. It takes skill to aim and shoot someone with blasters, and it takes more skill to lock onto someone with a missile, with a lot of opportunities to escape. Dropping mines/drones takes no skill, and is way too easy. With some adjustments (that they hopefully made) experienced players will be able to work around them, but they are especially punishing to new players, as the result is often just blowing up for no discernable reason.

Right now GSF is amazingly fun, and I just hope they don't ruin it with this.

XavinNydek
01.09.2014 , 01:39 PM | #22
Quote:
I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 5 min for a queue pop on POT5, although I admit I'll usually only play between 3-5 GSF matches a day, so my experience may not be that representative overall.
Queues for the Imperial side are never that long, but after primetime there aren't enough Republic players to pop the queue very often. Imperial players end up fighting each other 4/5 matches in the off hours, which isn't a bad thing, as it means the teams change a lot instead of having the same core people roll everyone over and over. I do wish the matchmaker would make more of an effort to wait for 12v12 though, the current maps aren't balanced for 8v8 very well.

wishihadaname
01.09.2014 , 02:21 PM | #23
I have to agree with the above poster, the notion of a class of ship that doesn't require some sort of skill to do damage is not a very good one. More importantly, those auto turrets and mines are going to be disproportionately dangerous to scouts. We already get one shotted by some gunships and don't dogfight very well against heavy scouts/strikers. Bombers might just put us out of business for good, especially if they have a strong shield/armor since it means we won't have the firepower needed to chew them up before their turrets chew us up.
-Dimitri Dolohov, lvl 55 Lethality OP. Toxic personality (Retired until viable again)
-Sgt. Amit Dolohov, lvl 55 Gunny Mando,. Rifle wielding hipster.
I'de rather lose a real fight than win via premade.

AlrikFassbauer
01.09.2014 , 02:34 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
Seismic mines, huh ? Tell me more about how you make a mechanic vibration to expand in vacuum space.

Well it's not like we had sound in space from the start (movies)... oh wait.
What apout space travel in general ?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Kintosi
01.09.2014 , 02:48 PM | #25
These bombers sound as OP as they where in beta.. so much for the re-design.
Kintosi Nalyd - Jedi Weaponsmaster
'Squadron 367' 'Regulators'

<RCOD>

Callaron
01.09.2014 , 03:06 PM | #26
Sounds like it could make an interesting counter to those OP little Scouts.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Callaron
01.09.2014 , 03:11 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Love laying tactical traps and supporting your squad? Then the Bomber is the ship for you in Galactic Starfighter.

Read More
I think this might actually become my favorite ship judging by that description.
I usually love playing "engineer" type classes/roles - the kind that place turrets and stuff while also laying down a bit of suppressive fire, and this one sounds pretty close to that.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

BrianDavion
01.09.2014 , 03:35 PM | #28
Honestly the bomber is gonna be redicualsly OP if it actually works, or it;s abilities are gonna be so underpowered it's useless...

Dormancy
01.09.2014 , 04:13 PM | #29
Greetings, Starfighters.

You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada.

^is what the dev blog should have said.

Aries_cz
01.09.2014 , 04:15 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
Seismic mines, huh ? Tell me more about how you make a mechanic vibration to expand in vacuum space.

Well it's not like we had sound in space from the start (movies)... oh wait.
Direct your sight on this article, kind sir
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Seismic_charge

Or this Darts and Droids strip
http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0294.html
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos