Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class with the lowest PvP skillcap?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Class with the lowest PvP skillcap?

neonrevolution
12.22.2011 , 05:35 PM | #1
Alright so I''ll admit that I''m a total noob when it comes to PvP. I''ve played MMOs for awhile but I didn''t really dabble in PvP. I''ve decided that for SWTOR I''m going to be doing more of it but I haven''t quite figured out what class suits me. I''m not looking for a class with an "easy button" but I need something that doesn''t require a ton of skill to play effectively. Anyone have some suggestions?

choboon
12.22.2011 , 06:54 PM | #2
That is a really tough question.
All classes have a lot of buttons in SWTOR

Do you play Rep or Imp ?

If you play Imp then i would suggest the Bounty Hunter.
Good damage, combination of range/melee (or at least close range) moves. Decent Armor Value even if you go damage route.

Second choice would be operative as it lets you pick your fights. Dont like the odds ? Just vanish into stealth mid fight and come back later.
Also stealth in pvp is awesome

On Rep side i would take a Vanguard, not the Commando as he needs to much timing and positioning.

Or as second choice the Operative equivalent in the smuggler sub class tree. Name eludes me in english atm.

Tiresias
12.22.2011 , 07:19 PM | #3
If you are looking for a class that is both easy and effective in PvP, you want to play a Jedi Consular Sage or Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer set up for DPS.

The strategy is simple: stay at maximum range in a fight (which is MASSIVE, believe me), keep your shield up on yourself, and throw out nukes. If you get attacked by a DPS stealth class you burn your CC and Force Speed out of there.

You only have to worry about 2-3 attack skills and learn how to use your defensive and crowd control cooldowns. There is no need to worry about cover, positional attacks, attack rotations, or overly complicated defense weaves. There are only a few procs to watch and you have self-healing capabilities that allow you to escape from a bad situation and patch yourself up. Your resource system is system and regenerates at a constant rate regardless of how full or empty it is.

Every class in this game has a high skill ceiling, but DPS Sage/Sorc has the lowest skill floor.

Madgecko
12.22.2011 , 10:45 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
If you are looking for a class that is both easy and effective in PvP, you want to play a Jedi Consular Sage or Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer set up for DPS.

The strategy is simple: stay at maximum range in a fight (which is MASSIVE, believe me), keep your shield up on yourself, and throw out nukes. If you get attacked by a DPS stealth class you burn your CC and Force Speed out of there.

You only have to worry about 2-3 attack skills and learn how to use your defensive and crowd control cooldowns. There is no need to worry about cover, positional attacks, attack rotations, or overly complicated defense weaves. There are only a few procs to watch and you have self-healing capabilities that allow you to escape from a bad situation and patch yourself up. Your resource system is system and regenerates at a constant rate regardless of how full or empty it is.

Every class in this game has a high skill ceiling, but DPS Sage/Sorc has the lowest skill floor.

This is not true. Bounty hunters and commandos are much easier to play. Have you ever even played either of those classes. Oh and Snipers, lol!!!!
The truth is usually relevant only to those who benefit the most from it. But that's not always true.

-Me

aRtFuL
12.22.2011 , 11:03 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Madgecko View Post
This is not true. Bounty hunters and commandos are much easier to play. Have you ever even played either of those classes. Oh and Snipers, lol!!!!
No he is more right then you I think consulars and inquistors (both advance classes) are less abilities intensive.

Vanguard and Powertech are survivable but requires you to have pretty decent knowledge of all abilities and when to use them best, otherwise you'll be wasting your abilities which can be used to bother 2 or 3 people instead of just 1.

Shadows/Assassins are straightforward, you just stealth and jump stragglers from behind :P

Sages/sorcerers can do a lot of their range attacks on the fly.

Snipers/Gunslingers LOOKS easy because of the big damage but in pvp they require a lot of setup and forthought and are not easy to play well.

Tiresias
12.23.2011 , 12:59 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Madgecko View Post
Bounty Hunter/Trooper and Smuggler/Agent both have a resource system that is EXTREMELY punishing if mishandled. Smuggler/Agent has another layer of complexity in that they lean on the Cover/Kneeling mechanic to utilize some their most powerful abilities, which makes them fairly immobile in a lot of situations.

Sage/Sorcerer has a resource mechanic that is not only very forgiving but also has very predictable regeneration. Furthermore, they have no reason to be immobile in a fight and have some very good kiting tools.

Bear in mind that the difference between heavy and light armor is only about 10% reduction once everyone is level 50. This isn't WoW where there is a gap of 30% or more between the reduction provided by cloth and plate.

SWCwall
12.23.2011 , 09:12 AM | #7
Not to mention that Cover sometimes bugs (hitting Charged Burst/Aimed Shot and getting interrupted 0.3-0.7 secs in repeatedly).

Dissentus
12.23.2011 , 10:01 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by choboon View Post
That is a really tough question.
All classes have a lot of buttons in SWTOR

Do you play Rep or Imp ?

If you play Imp then i would suggest the Bounty Hunter.
Good damage, combination of range/melee (or at least close range) moves. Decent Armor Value even if you go damage route.

Second choice would be operative as it lets you pick your fights. Dont like the odds ? Just vanish into stealth mid fight and come back later.
Also stealth in pvp is awesome

On Rep side i would take a Vanguard, not the Commando as he needs to much timing and positioning.

Or as second choice the Operative equivalent in the smuggler sub class tree. Name eludes me in english atm.
Operative? Are you nuts? I have two full skill bars already at level 21 and use every single one. They are far from easy to play and understand. For a seasoned player, I'd definately recommend it, but for a beginner?

I haven't played sniper, but it looks fairly easy. You set up cover in a good spot and snipe your way to victory for big and simple to do burst. BH also seemed pretty easy from the little I played it. Ranged classes in general are easier to play at first in most games.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Wilsu_Addar
12.23.2011 , 10:41 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Dissentus View Post
Operative? Are you nuts? I have two full skill bars already at level 21 and use every single one. They are far from easy to play and understand. For a seasoned player, I'd definately recommend it, but for a beginner?

I haven't played sniper, so I'm going to make a bunch of random stuff up without any proof or experience to back it up. Here we go. You set up cover in a good spot and snipe your way to victory for big and simple to do burst. BH also seemed pretty easy from the little I played it. Ranged classes in general are easier to play at first in most games.
Fixed this for you.

Snipers are incredibly difficult to play effectively. When played well, they are very lethal. When played even average, there will be many difficulties.

- W.

Shadyne
12.23.2011 , 01:56 PM | #10
This I think is one of the strong points of the game. As i fight it seems all the classes are fairly easy and can do ok with just a little work.

But all the classes seem able to wreck face when someone knows what they are doing is on the other end.