Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BitRaider

Riodan
01.08.2014 , 10:46 AM | #1
I'm a somewhat calm person, I'm patient, thoughtful, even perhaps too kind at times. However, I have to say this and I hope Bioware/EA don't get too offended (assuming anyone even cares to read this post). Bitraider is junk, it's a horrible horrible system that barely, and I do mean barely, passes for a streaming client. Since beta, this tech has been riddled with issues, corrupt files, missing files, bad download speeds, etc.

I've personally had to remove my Bitraider folder dozens of times at this point, relaunch the launcher, and wait for hours for content that would on any other MMO taken a few minutes. I'm angry, I'm more than angry, I'm disgusted. I sat here last night after having been playing all night long, only to suddenly crash and find myself unable to launch the game. So, I did what I always do, I removed the Bitraider folder, and discovered that the game was missing a file, at 96% it took 4 hours for this client to get it back to 100%. Then on top of that mess, this morning, I crashed again, so again, I deleted my BitRaider folder, now I'm at 80% and am probably facing 8 hours or better for downloading.

This is unacceptable, this is not only a poor design and implementation, it's just poor everything. I've been dealing with this issue for several years now, I'm a paying customer, I've heard and read all the vanilla responses customer service uses, this isn't on our end EA/Bioware, it is Bitrader. As such, I'm canceling my sub and going back to WoW. This is ridiculous, irritating and I've had enough. It's obvious that BW/EA have no intentions on fixing the issues and that they would rather watch this game burst into flames and incinerate itself. Maybe when this development team gets it's head firmly dislodged from it's rear end and the corporate bean counters realize that the tech they are using is unconceivably horrid and needs to be replaced, I'll return, but until then, I won't pay to be angry and frustrated all of the time.

Fix this.
SWG Veteran & WoW Veteran
DC Universe Online Veteran
The Repopulation
Gamer For Life.

Bstr
01.08.2014 , 11:27 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Riodan View Post
Since beta, this tech has been riddled with issues, corrupt files, missing files, bad download speeds, etc.

I've been dealing with this issue for several years now
BitRaider has only been in SWTOR since last June: less than 7 months.

If you are having constant problems with BitRaider, you can disable it:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=674711

Note that this will require a complete redownload of the game and you will have less repair options in the future. (I.E. if your game crashes and will not start back up and the launcher does not detect a problem, you will need to completely reinstall instead of deleting the BitRaider folder and redownloading only the broken files.)
Bobuster: Sab. Guns. Robcase: Seer Sage Bosha: Def. Guard. ShepardCmd: S.S. Vang.
Bosat'ta: BG Merc. Bophia: Fury Maur. Borbend: Med. Op. Bo'ya: Dark. Sin
<Reformation> Ebon Hawk Server

Riodan
01.14.2014 , 10:57 AM | #3
Forgive me, I was angry about this entire issue, I remember the installation chaos I went through initially and continued to go through and associated the two, even if eventually it went from horrid installation on the initial installation to horrid installation with the BitRaider client on reinstalling the game. Either way, the fact remains:

1. The download speeds are atrocious.
2. The installation more often than not hangs.
3. The game crashes more than a drunk hillybilly driver at a demolition derby.

So, yeah I'm angry, frustrated and disappointed in just how unrefined this game is after 2 years of being live.
SWG Veteran & WoW Veteran
DC Universe Online Veteran
The Repopulation
Gamer For Life.

Isaacone
01.14.2014 , 03:08 PM | #4
what I want to know is why does it take so long to download an update that is 100mb. I am currently downloading the new update and it has been at 95% for the past hours when I started downloading the update. When I update on my laptop it takes the game less then an hour to download an update. What I might have to end up doing is delete the game with the bitraider crap and transfer the old launcher that I have on my laptop that is prebitraider. There is no way that a 100mb patch should take 10hours to download. which is what happened last update. Also when I first downloaded this game on my desktop last month it took me nearly a week to download the 25gb file. I first thought it had to be my internet connection but after downloading max payne 3 which is 30gb in about 2.5 days I realised it has to be that bitraider launcher

Bstr
01.14.2014 , 03:12 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Isaacone View Post
what I want to know is why does it take so long to download an update that is 100mb. I am currently downloading the new update and it has been at 95% for the past hours when I started downloading the update. When I update on my laptop it takes the game less then an hour to download an update. What I might have to end up doing is delete the game with the bitraider crap and transfer the old launcher that I have on my laptop that is prebitraider. There is no way that a 100mb patch should take 10hours to download. which is what happened last update. Also when I first downloaded this game on my desktop last month it took me nearly a week to download the 25gb file. I first thought it had to be my internet connection but after downloading max payne 3 which is 30gb in about 2.5 days I realised it has to be that bitraider launcher
There is a way to disable the BitRaider launcher, but it will require a reinstall of the game:

The BitRaider launcher reports the download process as a percentage of the game. So, 95% of the game does not need to be changed in the new patch and only 5% does. The old launcher reports the download process as a percentage of the patch. So all 100% of the patch needs to be downloaded.
Bobuster: Sab. Guns. Robcase: Seer Sage Bosha: Def. Guard. ShepardCmd: S.S. Vang.

Isaacone
01.14.2014 , 03:25 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Bstr View Post
There is a way to disable the BitRaider launcher, but it will require a reinstall of the game:

The BitRaider launcher reports the download process as a percentage of the game. So, 95% of the game does not need to be changed in the new patch and only 5% does. The old launcher reports the download process as a percentage of the patch. So all 100% of the patch needs to be downloaded.
Like I said in my post if this problem persists I might just uninstall the game and install it off the nonstreaming launcher. I get what youre saying that it deletes old files and installs new ones. But why does it take almost 12 hours to do so. I am currently patching on my laptop and its taken about 30 minutes so far. when I do it from my desktop which has the bitraider launcher it takes all day to update. But reinstalling is really what I am considering. all i have to do is copy the installer files to a flashdrive or buy a retail disk and put on my desktop. That should work as well right?

Bstr
01.14.2014 , 03:32 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Isaacone View Post
Like I said in my post if this problem persists I might just uninstall the game and install it off the nonstreaming launcher. I get what youre saying that it deletes old files and installs new ones. But why does it take almost 12 hours to do so. I am currently patching on my laptop and its taken about 30 minutes so far. when I do it from my desktop which has the bitraider launcher it takes all day to update. But reinstalling is really what I am considering. all i have to do is copy the installer files to a flashdrive or buy a retail disk and put on my desktop. That should work as well right?
You will need to change the settings as explained in the link.

Both the non-streaming and streaming launchers are the same launcher. The only thing different are how they download the game as instructed by the launcher settings.

Randilor
01.14.2014 , 04:57 PM | #8
I agree completely concerning the slowness that is BitRaider. How was this 'upgrade' supposed to help?

Isaacone
01.14.2014 , 05:14 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Bstr View Post
You will need to change the settings as explained in the link.

Both the non-streaming and streaming launchers are the same launcher. The only thing different are how they download the game as instructed by the launcher settings.
Okay thanks. Ill try this. well after the event is over and after I get back to school. Hey ive been having problems with other games too. Had to launch max payne 3 a different way because when its launched from steam the key server cant be contacted for some reason or another, and I have to figure out why san andreas doesnt detect my mouse.
Thanks agaim for letting me know about this. I just hope that I will get this to work.

Rogow
01.14.2014 , 05:26 PM | #10
During past 7 hours this fu..ing ST launcher moved installation process from 46% to 53.43%. I mean really, 7.43% in seven hour? *** guys!?! All the time downloading speed was around 1024 KB/sec and more. Is there any reason why downloading this patch schould take this long?