Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

When matches consist of 6+ Flashfires/Stings...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
When matches consist of 6+ Flashfires/Stings...

JPryde's Avatar


JPryde
01.08.2014 , 08:51 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Brilo View Post
So yeah, I think we can put all of this behind us. You can trust me. Scout's honor
Your forgot to mention that Scouts are cute!
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
T3-M4
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

blade_mercurial's Avatar


blade_mercurial
01.08.2014 , 08:52 AM | #12
Brilo, sounds like you're trying to be cute. Does that mean you're NOT OP? :-P

I Play on both harbinger and ebon hawk and I've noticed a lot of flashfires/stings. Pubs tend to do better because they often have a couple gunships and swarm 1 sat at a time while imps rarely use gunships and always split forces between 2 sats....so what's my point? Flashfires work really well in this context.

So are they OP? Maybe. Consider what they get:

1 good gun + 1 good missile + a cooldown buff (either for gun or boost)

1 good shield + reactor buff and armour buff.

So yeah, pretty appealing. No other ship gets that many buffs either offensively or defensively and they have highest base speed/turn-rate....so evidence seems to suggest they are a bit OP.

And they are in fact the cutest ship, which definitely helps

Itkovian's Avatar


Itkovian
01.08.2014 , 09:22 AM | #13
I think scouts are in need of some balancing, but nothing dramatic. They certainly have the best cooldowns in the game, and are ideally suited for the only game mode we have.

For example, Burst Lasers are hands down the best laser weapons in the game right now. This is not because they have a higher DPS, but because they load all their damage in fewer attacks, and the game naturally leads to getting only occasional chances to attack with lasers (at least against good pilots) , so packing a larger punch in fewer shots is a significant advantage.

This, in large part, is a function of the domination game type, where most of the fighting happens in the tight spaces around satellites. The high close range accuracy of bursts and their single-shot damage makes them ideally suited for fighting on sats. This, I believe, is in large part responsible for the massive numbers scouts can give out (the offensive cooldowns also help, mind you).

As such, while I do think some tweaking is necessary, it shouldn't be anything massive. Additional roles and game types will hopefully go a long way to rectify this balance.

As an effective Strike pilot, however, I have to say it's nice to know that, as far as game balance goes, there's nowhere for us to go but up.

Lymain's Avatar


Lymain
01.08.2014 , 09:28 AM | #14
I had an 8v8 recently against 2 gunships and 6 Flashfires...was really surprised to win that match easily.

I think there are basically two issues:

1) Domination puts way more emphasis on close-range fighting, and Flashfires are (imo) clearly designed to be the best close-range fighter.

2) Cluster missiles on a scout are just too good. I know it's popular to whine about BLCs, D-Field, and Blaster Overcharge, but it's possible to build a pretty darn effective Flashfire/Sting without any of those three components. In my experience, the root source of the Flashfire/Sting's power is its cluster missiles - that's the main reason it's better than the NovaDrive/Blackbolt.
Xeric - Juggernaut - The Ebon Hawk

Arkerus's Avatar


Arkerus
01.08.2014 , 09:40 AM | #15
The reason scouts are a BIT OP is because of the evasion statistic in this game.

If every shot counted (that was supposed to hit) then scouts would have a true weakness. As it is right now, evasion basically makes up for any lack of armor and arguably is better than armor. I know I stopped flying my strikers because the combination of pure firepower and speed in a scout is simply unmatched.

I think GSF needs an evasion reduction across the board in all aspects.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Lymain's Avatar


Lymain
01.08.2014 , 09:49 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
The reason scouts are a BIT OP is because of the evasion statistic in this game.

If every shot counted (that was supposed to hit) then scouts would have a true weakness. As it is right now, evasion basically makes up for any lack of armor and arguably is better than armor. I know I stopped flying my strikers because the combination of pure firepower and speed in a scout is simply unmatched.

I think GSF needs an evasion reduction across the board in all aspects.
I would have agreed with you a month ago, but I don't really think evasion is an issue. Do you really think the NovaDrive/Blackbolt is overpowered in combat? I don't. Missiles completely ignore evasion. If anything, I'd say buff missiles a little bit, which could benefit balance in other ways as well (unless they over-do it, of course ).
Xeric - Juggernaut - The Ebon Hawk

Icebergy's Avatar


Icebergy
01.08.2014 , 09:51 AM | #17
Shrug, they're still easy kills for my Nova.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

Zoom_VI's Avatar


Zoom_VI
01.08.2014 , 09:55 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
Your forgot to mention that Scouts are cute!
*Bambi eyes*
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Arkerus's Avatar


Arkerus
01.08.2014 , 09:56 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Lymain View Post
I would have agreed with you a month ago, but I don't really think evasion is an issue. Do you really think the NovaDrive/Blackbolt is overpowered in combat? I don't. Missiles completely ignore evasion. If anything, I'd say buff missiles a little bit, which could benefit balance in other ways as well (unless they over-do it, of course ).
Buffing missiles will only make some of the scouts even better.

Yes, I truly believe evasion is a serious issue. PoT5 matches have turned into scout fests because they offer superior firepower (depending on loadout) in a high speed, high maneuver package.

Why would I take anything else?
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Zoom_VI's Avatar


Zoom_VI
01.08.2014 , 09:57 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
Buffing missiles will only make some of the scouts even better.

Yes, I truly believe evasion is a serious issue. PoT5 matches have turned into scout fests because they offer superior firepower (depending on loadout) in a high speed, high maneuver package.

Why would I take anything else?
It would be pot5 that would stack FoTms on the slightest whim wouldn't it.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.