Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

When matches consist of 6+ Flashfires/Stings...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
When matches consist of 6+ Flashfires/Stings...

DarthVindictus
01.07.2014 , 10:19 PM | #1
You know they're not a balanced ship.

Zoom_VI
01.07.2014 , 10:31 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVindictus View Post
nope that just means they are a populat ship. popular=/=OP

Example: on my RP-PvP server it is not uncommon to see teams consisting of 4+sorcs in ground Pvp and its not unusual to see a team where all eight players are inquisitors.
But I think we can agree that sorcs are not OP in PvP.

Same here FF/Sting are very users friendly and are popular ships to learn on

Also you fly a gunship you have no right to complain.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Armonddd
01.07.2014 , 10:59 PM | #3
Captain Planet would like a word with you.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Brilo
01.07.2014 , 11:06 PM | #4
I just figured out how to one shot other scouts with my Flashfire today. It's not particularly fun or challenging, but what the hell let's keep it that way til I get enough fleet reqs for whatever the next flavor is =)

I'm glad people are still having fun playing strikes. There will always be easy kills out there for you, but for any decent Flashfire pilot, you're one of those easy kills.

RCSlyman
01.07.2014 , 11:27 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Brilo View Post
I just figured out how to one shot other scouts with my Flashfire today. It's not particularly fun or challenging, but what the hell let's keep it that way til I get enough fleet reqs for whatever the next flavor is =)

I'm glad people are still having fun playing strikes. There will always be easy kills out there for you, but for any decent Flashfire pilot, you're one of those easy kills.
Bursts + BO + Bypass + close range + lucky crit?
Conclusion: You have just shown me your soft, meatbag-like underbellies and said, "HK-47, please shoot me repeatedly there until I die."

Kri'stof - Shadow Tank - Inconceivable | Jon-ik - Hot Shot Pilot - Hyperspace Legend

BrianDavion
01.08.2014 , 01:17 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Brilo View Post

sure on the other hand a decent strike fighter pilot isn't gonna make getting that one shot easy. I fly both a strike fighter and a flashfire I know how it all works. a Flashfire is pretty much toothless at more then 4000 meters so if I wanna kill you I stay outside that range to the best of my ability I use my missiles and my heavier/longer range guns to hurt you before you even get in range. it's tricky as you're proably more manuverable or faster then I am but it's doable.

one of the big reasons for striker fighters to exist is they're a LOT more forgiving. in a scout if you make a mistake your dead (this is a HUUUGE part of why dedicated flashfire pilots tend to be amazing pilots. they HAVE to be) some vetern pilots like that added durability, and for a new pilot the striker is a better choice because they're gonna make mistakes, a strike fighter allows em to learn from it

archifikoss
01.08.2014 , 01:57 AM | #7
Lords of Kobol, you're still at it? Give it a break!

Also, I've never seen more than two of those per faction, though admittedly it could very well be a feature of my server.

DarthVindictus
01.08.2014 , 07:35 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by archifikoss View Post
Lords of Kobol, you're still at it? Give it a break!

Also, I've never seen more than two of those per faction, though admittedly it could very well be a feature of my server.
It's getting worse as time goes on and more people can afford the 5k fleet reqs. 4+ flashfire/sting matches are VERY common on harbinger. 6+ is becoming more common now. There's really no counter for it. They're the dominant dogfighters and also very fast and able to cap satellites fast, and since they pack a lot more offensive firepower than the default scouts they're more effective at zipping around from point to point for defense.

So far the best the community can come up with as a counter for them is "outnumber them" or "have teammates gang up on them with you" yeah, maybe if every flashfire took up 2 slots on the roster so you could outnumber them 12-6 that might be a viable strategy.

Frankly it defies logic to give the fastest ships that much firepower. In other games, the fastest ships, pack the weakest punch to compensate. Here they give them the best options for lasers, a laser boosting cooldown that they can stack with copilot skills, lock on missiles that do 900 damage when upgraded and have shield penetration, AND an RNG dodge.

Armonddd
01.08.2014 , 07:51 AM | #9
So far the best the community can come up with as a counter for them is "outnumber them" or "have teammates gang up on them with you" yeah, maybe if every flashfire took up 2 slots on the roster so you could outnumber them 12-6 that might be a viable strategy.
No, the best advice the community has to offer is "get good".

Literally any ship in the game can kill a t2 scout. I can't even say it's harder on some ships than others, because really, it all depends on pilot skill. A skilled gunship can take out any scout he wants; a skilled scout can avoid dying to gunships in almost any circumstance. A skilled strike fighter is at a marked disadvantage against a skilled scout, but a mediocre scout will die a respectable amount to a mediocre strike fighter. Likewise, when it's mediocre gunship vs mediocre scout, it's kind of a tossup. And, of course, scout vs scout is pure skill (yes, even when one of those scouts is a Flashfire and the other is a Novadive).

The Flashfire and Sting are not automatically better ships. Most people don't unlock them until they've bought some upgrades on their other ships, which puts them at a relative disadvantage. That said, with some upgrades, the Flashfire and Sting do get what is (in my opinion) the best loadout in the game; burst lasers excel in the current format if you can stay close to enemies, cluster missiles are the most reliable missiles in the game, distortion field is a significantly better survivability cooldown than quick charge shields, and access to both barrel roll and retro thrusters lets you optimize your build for either. The only ability I'd really consider problematic is their access to booster recharge or blaster overcharge, neither of which have an equivalent on the strike fighter in the current format. That doesn't mean scouts are overpowered, however. A scout has to give up shield strength, hull integrity, and weapon range in order to run that (and it doesn't help that distortion field gives you a whopping -30% shield strength to both arcs).

Frankly it defies logic to give the fastest ships that much firepower. In other games, the fastest ships, pack the weakest punch to compensate. Here they give them the best options for lasers, a laser boosting cooldown that they can stack with copilot skills, lock on missiles that do 900 damage when upgraded and have shield penetration, AND an RNG dodge.
Burst lasers actually have lower DPS than a number of other options. Check your tooltips. They're also much more skill-intensive than any other laser in the game. The reason they're so good is because you get so few opportunities to line up a shot, so every one needs to count. Again, though, that's partially because of the format.

Blaster Overcharge I don't think is too much of a problem because it's the weaker option for that slot. It's also a skill-intensive cooldown, in that you can easily press it and then whiff everything. Distortion field + scout defenses is only more powerful than quick charge shields + strike defenses because the cooldown is so short. Clusters do nothing near 900 damage unless fully upgraded, at which point they're still fine because concussion missiles do 350 hull damage on hit with equal upgrades.

A good scout build in the hands of a skilled player will do extremely well. However, it is vulnerable to attacks from long range (which it has no counter to except boosting towards or away from the attacker, which is time not spent on the node), accurate attacks while making a strafing run (you can hit it if you line up the reticule, just like any other ship - it's just that you have to be good enough to line that up), and gunships (which, fully upgraded, can cripple or one-shot the scout, depending on choice of weapon).

It's also important to remember that we're currently judging scouts based on performance in one format. When capital vs capital is released, strike fighters will excel (due to their access to heavy lasers and various powerful missiles), and gunships will excel in deathmatch (due to their long range).
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Brilo
01.08.2014 , 08:32 AM | #10
Oh yeah, anyone can kill a Scout, they're completely vulnerable to like everything omg.

Here, lemme list like 10 reasons why scouts are balanced so that you'll believe me.
1) I think scouts are balanced, that's really important to remember.
2) Scouts are easy to hit
3) Scouts are cute
4) Scouts don't have any defenses worth mentioning
5) Scouts have low dps. Check your tooltips. Trust your tooltips, they wouldn't ever mislead you. Tooltips are your friend.
6) Scouts are cute
7) Scouts do nice things for people
8) Scouts sell cookies
9) Scouts are recyclable.
10) Scouts are cute

So yeah, I think we can put all of this behind us. You can trust me. Scout's honor