Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How well can I run SWTOR with this laptop?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How well can I run SWTOR with this laptop?

SabreNova
01.08.2014 , 03:44 PM | #11
Has anyone here heard if the AMD A-series CPUs function well? I've found a lot of A6 Quad Core-A10 Quad Core processor comps with Radeon 8000 series graphics cards with anywhere between 1GB-3GB of video memory (most are dedicated) but some people I've talked to have told me to stay away from AMD processors in general due to myriad problems....does anyone have any knowledge here to the power of AMD processors?
The Skysaber Legacy
Master Nihalus Master Akrizios
Agent BartonCaptain ThatchGladiator Novius

Jrpm
01.08.2014 , 05:50 PM | #12
TJI-Not on AMD, I am an Intel Stockholder, so don't use them.

But, I play on three different 'laptops'. Toshiba Satellite I7, Sony Viaio I7 and Microsoft Surface. Only problem I have is my networking and security software. I have to wait for my scanners to finish when I log in, and have occasional issues with my network connetivitiy on the Surface.

I am a retired DBA who used to run his own business (still have the business, but not pushing it). I have not bought a desktop in 5 or more years. My only real problem has been that my older games won't work on W8.1 (In the Sony case, W7/8 as sony doesn't support Windows on my model, but I did try an upgrade. It has the Nvidia driver to use with another game, which shall go nameless, but whose initials are TSW.)

If you have $500 to spend on a laptop instead of a video card, you should be okay.

Andryah
01.08.2014 , 06:57 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by SabreNova View Post
Thanks for the input all...I have since found a few more laptops. Some are a little further out of my budget range (one is out quite a bit) but I could afford it if it meant I wouldn't need a new laptop for a while.

HP Pavilion 15t-n200 15.6" for $519.99 PRICE EDIT: using a coupon
4th generation Intel® Core™ i3-4005U Processor
1GB AMD Radeon™ HD 8670M Discrete
4GB RAM (Will be upgrading this to 8GB with the memory from my old laptop)
500GB HDD

HP ENVY 15t-j100 15.6" for $574.99
AMD Quad-Core A8-5550M Accelerated Processor
2GB AMD Radeon™ HD 8750M Discrete
6GB RAM (Would also be upgraded to 8GB but not immediately)
750GB HDD

HP Pavilion 15z-n200 Notebook PC 15.6" for $489.99
AMD Quad-Core A4-5000 Processor (could upgrade to an A6 for $35 more...but meh.)
4GB RAM (to be upgraded to 8GB immediately)
500GB HDD

HP ENVY 15t-j100 15.6" for $684.99
4th generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200M Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory
6GB RAM (to be upgraded to 8GB later)
750GB HDD

The last one I'd really rather avoid, but if buying it meant I'd not need a new laptop for a while, then I'd be happy with it. Also, keep in mind I wish to run this game on AT LEAST medium settings getting around 30-40+ FPS, with the maximum settings being high at 30 FPS...If I can at least run it on medium getting 30-40FPS + I'll be content for now. Don't know if that'll change any answers about the first computer I posted about...but I'd still like an idea of what to get.
I know the last one is over your budget.... but personally, I'd scratch around for the extra 150 dollars and get that one. The i5-4200M and the GT 740M will run this game very nicely and give you some head room for the future. You need a laptop that is not obsolete in a year. Othewise it's wasted money IMO. Watch your junction temperatures though.. as I don't think any of the above are really gaming laptops (which besides the chip set, have chassis and cooling systems designed for gaming demand).
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

GorkieX
01.08.2014 , 07:16 PM | #14
As someone who uses AMD Chips in everything, lets start with the first one... APU Quad + Discrete is a awsome setup as it will give you more shared video memory I use a APU + Discrete my self with 8gb of DDR3.. you can use less and still have high settings with this game... I recomend the first one here but the second one works just as well. The game will run with a Dual Core processor but I tell you what, it runs sweet with a Quad and these APU push your graphics into the Processor first before firing it out to the card/monitor. Worth every penny you put into them as well. Also the APU + GPU Discrete open up Dual Graphics but unless the game offers Dx11 it wont be much use except for the fact that you still have a much better setup to run it off.

HP ENVY 15t-j100 15.6" for $574.99
AMD Quad-Core A8-5550M Accelerated Processor
2GB AMD Radeon™ HD 8750M Discrete
6GB RAM (Would also be upgraded to 8GB but not immediately)
750GB HDD

HP Pavilion 15z-n200 Notebook PC 15.6" for $489.99
AMD Quad-Core A4-5000 Processor (could upgrade to an A6 for $35 more...but meh.)
4GB RAM (to be upgraded to 8GB immediately)
500GB HDD

SabreNova
01.08.2014 , 07:37 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by GorkieX View Post
As someone who uses AMD Chips in everything, lets start with the first one... APU Quad + Discrete is a awsome setup as it will give you more shared video memory I use a APU + Discrete my self with 8gb of DDR3.. you can use less and still have high settings with this game... I recomend the first one here but the second one works just as well. The game will run with a Dual Core processor but I tell you what, it runs sweet with a Quad and these APU push your graphics into the Processor first before firing it out to the card/monitor. Worth every penny you put into them as well. Also the APU + GPU Discrete open up Dual Graphics but unless the game offers Dx11 it wont be much use except for the fact that you still have a much better setup to run it off. [/I]
I've seen a number of AMD A6-A10 Quad cores, all of which had a discrete/dedicated Radeon 7000/8000 series since then locally...but your post was the first positive thing I've heard about AMD processors, so I'm still a bit skeptical...going to go down to my local Microcenter tomorrow and test a few out...

Are there any issues with AMDs? I've heard they overheat, or that they struggle with higher power ops (such as games like SWTOR) and are noisy (which I can circumvent), and I'd like to avoid taking a cooling pad or something with me when I'm at school. Not trying to say they suck, just need a little more info on them since, like I said, your post was the first positive thing I've heard about AMDs in a while...shame to since I found a lot of good ones (some A8 Quad-Cores+7000/8000 series Radeon discrete graphics for $500 or less) but if they are as good as you say I'll gladly get one.

These are 3 of them I found with quad core processors...
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...n_Trax_Horizon [$279]
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...mputer_-_Black [$500]
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...mputer_-_Black (similar to one above but lesser processor/graphics/hdd space) [$429]
Could you tell me which are good? I'm assuming the $500 (second link) is best but still....and $500 I can do budget wise but saving money is always nice.
The Skysaber Legacy

Andryah
01.08.2014 , 08:47 PM | #16
These are 3 of them I found with quad core processors...
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...n_Trax_Horizon [$279]
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...mputer_-_Black [$500]
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...mputer_-_Black (similar to one above but lesser processor/graphics/hdd space) [$429]
Could you tell me which are good? I'm assuming the $500 (second link) is best but still....and $500 I can do budget wise but saving money is always nice.
Regardless of the brand label on today's laptops, they are ALL made in a small handful of Taiwan super facilities these days. In other words, they have all been normalized to roughly be ------> you get what you pay for.

The real difference with laptop designs is that gaming laptops tend to be larger, and with better cooling systems to handle the extremes. Multi-media and office/home laptops, much less so... they are made for compactness, NOT thermal performance. ALL of the laptops you have linked in this thread are IMO, multi-media/Office/Home laptops. They will all track the same price performance curve (with the exception of any super sale discounts one brand might be pushing at any given time). You can mitigate the thermal issues by being careful of your game settings, keeping track of your junction temperatures and putting a cooling platform under the laptop.

So we are back to ------> you get what you pay for in terms of $$ for performance. With that, you pick your price and buy as much as your price point permits you.

Personally, I would always opt for Intel for CPU and Nvidia for GPU. But That's me.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

ndursinger
01.08.2014 , 11:44 PM | #17
here's something to ponder.......

I run an HP Pavilion g series with a 1.3 intel core and I've been playing on this thing since beta with almost no issues. I do use an auxiliary fan and run most of the settings at the bottom but I still get to play and have fun.

morfius
01.09.2014 , 12:56 AM | #18
Thanks for the input all...

HP ENVY 15t-j100 15.6" for $684.99
4th generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200M Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory
6GB RAM (to be upgraded to 8GB later)
750GB HDD
This.

Again HWMonitor, pad and do not OC it ... DirectX 9 redistributable.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

jedip_enguin
01.09.2014 , 02:01 AM | #19
Instead of a brand new unit you might be better served looking for a nearly new/refurb unit from somebody like MSI/Asus (Something from the G line) or Alienware.

Most of them are expensive, but the extra work they put into cooling pays dividends long term and if you can get a refurb and haggle a bit you can get a nice chunk of change off the list price if you're willing to accept minor cosmetic faults.
Dat referral link - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

SabreNova
01.12.2014 , 10:30 PM | #20
Found this off Newegg, most likely going to be buying it soon since everyone I've talked to about it has agreed for the price, its among the best laptops spec wise for a $600 price tag.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...140109032912:s

Specs:
i5-3337U 1.8GHz (people are saying putting the laptop into High Performance mode kicks clock speed to 2.5GHz-ish)
500 GB HDD
6GB RAM (Which I will upgrade to 8-10GB soon since max supported is 12GB)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M, 2GB Dedicated

For $600, my friends have said its the best for the price and are telling me I should be able to run SWTOR on Medium-High settings with no issues.
The Skysaber Legacy