Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

If new Class Story is so costly, why can't they just sell it in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
If new Class Story is so costly, why can't they just sell it in the cartel market?

hadoken's Avatar


hadoken
01.08.2014 , 10:19 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Grand_Nagus View Post
The problem with this idea is that some professions are simply more popular than others. In turn, certain professions story content would makes lots of money, while others wouldnt. In turn, Bioware would "follow the money" and make lots of content for the popular professions, and only a little for the not so popular ones. So the end results of such an idea would be the most popular professions having lots of content packs, while the not so popular professions would only have a few.
I would divvy up the pricing by chapter instead of by class, to counter this. So each purchase unlocks a chapter of class stories for all the classes, with multiple chapters (shorter than the original 3, of course) being offered for sale.

Not to mention certain class stories are more popular than others not because of how the classes play, but how the stories are written. It is impossible to say what the quality/enjoyment of future class stories would be. Especially considering the design team as it exists now is not the one that created those original stories.

ZionHalcyon's Avatar


ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 10:38 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
I would divvy up the pricing by chapter instead of by class, to counter this. So each purchase unlocks a chapter of class stories for all the classes, with multiple chapters (shorter than the original 3, of course) being offered for sale.

Not to mention certain class stories are more popular than others not because of how the classes play, but how the stories are written. It is impossible to say what the quality/enjoyment of future class stories would be. Especially considering the design team as it exists now is not the one that created those original stories.
If it can be pulled off, I agree this would be preferable. However, now we are asking them to add 8 quests instead of 1 at a time to the "just launched" expansion planet, and therefore it might have become too prohibitive at this point in terms of dedicating resources to this. By doing class stories one at a time over the year, it would allow a much smaller team to work on them over time, thereby allowing the addition of class stories to become a lot less resource-intensive and therefore far less prohibitive. Also, it allows on launch a quick and direct compensation for that work, so as long as people are buying it, the justifications to continue with this approach (and therefore add more class stories) would occur a lot more quickly for the powers that be who decide on the approach of the game. It would keep things on a more accelerated path.

illgot's Avatar


illgot
01.08.2014 , 11:07 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Once.... just once... they released some little story snippets in a box in the CPs. If you unlocked and did the terminal misisons from each of those.. you got 30 seconds of unrelated to the class story and a unique set of adaptive armor for doing all six.

AND THE FORUM ERUPTED IN OUTRAGE THAT THEY PUT STORY (NO MATTER HOW SMALL) IN THE CM.

So Eric posted that they would never do that again. Players got their wish.

/Thread
You mean those things you can buy off the GTN? Players got all pissy about those? Wow, talk about getting what you ask for.

ELRunninW's Avatar


ELRunninW
01.08.2014 , 11:38 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
Not quite. A class quest on its own would be about the duration of oricon's story. And when you consider I said to do this AFTER they release a faction planet, and re-using that planet as the class story backdrop. So no, nowhere near as expensive as you claim, because it makes use out of something bioware is going to do anyway (allegedly).
But that is only your opinion, no matter how convinced you are. I do not understand your goal behind this thread. You ask a question but already have answers to every possible answers people may give you, troll much?

ZionHalcyon's Avatar


ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 11:49 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by ELRunninW View Post
But that is only your opinion, no matter how convinced you are. I do not understand your goal behind this thread. You ask a question but already have answers to every possible answers people may give you, troll much?
I could say the same for you - I pose the question as a suggestion and already countered many of the typical arguments against in the initial post, and yet you seem to keep trying to strawman the thread anyway. So back at ya - troll much?

ZionHalcyon's Avatar


ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 11:52 AM | #56
And if you need a clearer point to the thread, its to gauge support and remain visible. And it should be noted that a handful of people barking loudly against doesn't mean it lacks support if others are chiming in with their ideas, alternate versions, or support of the thread. Being more sour and antagonistic and snarky doesn't make you right.

Even the people who disagree with me, and I disagree with in terms of how to go about this, I appreciate the discussion. Or in your world, does it only count as a discussion if everyone agrees? Sounds like a dull world you live in.

branmakmuffin's Avatar


branmakmuffin
01.08.2014 , 11:58 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Once.... just once... they released some little story snippets in a box in the CPs. If you unlocked and did the terminal misisons from each of those.. you got 30 seconds of unrelated to the class story and a unique set of adaptive armor for doing all six.

AND THE FORUM ERUPTED IN OUTRAGE THAT THEY PUT STORY (NO MATTER HOW SMALL) IN THE CM.

So Eric posted that they would never do that again. Players got their wish.

/Thread
I missed this post. And I totally forgot about this happened. So yeah. what Andryah said.

ZionHalcyon's Avatar


ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 12:04 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
I missed this post. And I totally forgot about this happened. So yeah. what Andryah said.
Which was discounted in this post.

branmakmuffin's Avatar


branmakmuffin
01.08.2014 , 12:08 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
That's a post you made. You can't "discount" a dev post (I'm assuming Andryah is correct) with a player post.

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
01.08.2014 , 12:13 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
That's a post you made. You can't "discount" a dev post (I'm assuming Andryah is correct) with a player post.
Yes.. the forum was extremely pissy about those story snippets. Many called it a "slippery slope to selling class story in the CM" and raged about it too.

and YES... Eric did say that they would not release story content in the CM again. Now, like all things, they could revisit their decision at any time.

But the fact remains that the idea of Class Story for sale in the CM (regardless of method, packs, direct, etc) is a giant forum baiting exercise. If they did it.. there would be much more forum uproar about it then those silly snippet boxes. Why? Because the premise of all the complaints back then was ------> Story is iconic in SWTOR... it should NEVER be for sale in the CM. I do not personally agree with that position, I am simply echoing it to remind people with short memories and/or selective bias filters how sensitive the player base is about story content in the CM.
"We don't see the world as it is. We see the world as WE are." ~Anais Nin