Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If new Class Story is so costly, why can't they just sell it in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
If new Class Story is so costly, why can't they just sell it in the cartel market?

Callaron
01.08.2014 , 01:39 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
Lot of people here who mentioned other games selling story content are forgetting that lot of these games are F2P (or Buy-2-Play). And, as I have stated, I, and if I remember that discussion properly, several others, were "sort of OK" with Story on CM being like Section X (Free to Subs, paid to others).
I imagine that most people on the forums will always be okay with things being on the CM as long as they are free to subs... since we all are subs.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Tahana
01.08.2014 , 01:41 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
But the question is whether it'd sell enough. While the idea of being able to parcel and sell class story to f2pers is another check-mark on the pros column for Class Story, I don't think its a gamechanger.
I wasn't around for the other discussion, and I am a subscriber. Honestly if it means the difference between having and not having.. I'll pay to get what I want. Its only money and I can't take it with me.. Now don't get me wrong, I'm completely against p2w.. I just wish that my life hadn't gotten so complicated at the time when i needed to leave.
May the Schwartz be with you
There is no glue, no pill, no tool that can fix stupid.

ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 01:41 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
But the question is whether it'd sell enough. While the idea of being able to parcel and sell class story to f2pers is another check-mark on the pros column for Class Story, I don't think its a gamechanger.
That's the thing and indeed the question. If you don't need any additional assets, and just need time to work up the quest in whatever they use to make quests there, is the time invested to do this for a class quest and then sell it on the market worth whatever they could get for it?

And that is a question no one, NO ONE but Bioware themselves can answer. Which is why its ridiculous when some people try to answer for them. All I have done is try to come up with a concept that makes creating class quests as resource-light as possible and coming up with a way of directly profiting off of them, to allow more direct feedback to see if it is indeed worth continuing to do based on the numbers. Its both a player and a businessperson approach.

Aries_cz
01.08.2014 , 01:52 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
I imagine that most people on the forums will always be okay with things being on the CM as long as they are free to subs... since we all are subs.
Well, these forums are open to all (read-only).
However, as I said, if I am playing B2P game (that means, any singleplayer game or B2P MMO, or being Preferred player in SWTOR), I am cool with buying a DLC with story, if the remaining story is good, so I am not buying a "rabbit in the sack" (unknown merchandise, I am not sure if this adverb translates well into English).
However, if I am playing a paying constant money to a game that claims story is one of its major parts, you can imagine that I am a bit reluctant to pay more for story...
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 02:00 PM | #125
Well, these forums are open to all (read-only).
However, as I said, if I am playing B2P game (that means, any singleplayer game or B2P MMO, or being Preferred player in SWTOR), I am cool with buying a DLC with story, if the remaining story is good, so I am not buying a "rabbit in the sack" (unknown merchandise, I am not sure if this adverb translates well into English).
However, if I am playing a paying constant money to a game that claims story is one of its major parts, you can imagine that I am a bit reluctant to pay more for story...
I would agree, and trust me, it isn't lost on me on how unfortunate that is - however, that's exactly where the game has gone. The change in philosophy occured when there were those mass bioware layoffs. Most of the story advocates got sacked, and they put a new head producer in place. Since then, there has been this migration AWAY from story in the game, including trying to close up plot points the original staff intentionally left open for expansion (i.e. claiming now the Jedi Knight really did kill the Emperor when after originally completing the Sith Warrior story you used to get an email from the Hands assuring you that while weakened, the Knight only killed the Emperor's Voice - also see changing the False Emperor flashpoint to killing Malgus outright when before he fell into the pit (and therefore conceivably escape).

Even when you talk to the people who used to be in charge, Malgus and Revan were both made ways to stay alive, because they had big plans for both down the road.

But that change in leadership changed everything. That's why if we want story to continue, we have to show ways that they can profit off of it. Otherwise, if they even do any more planets and story going forward, expect a lot more blandness like Makeb as it relates to the richness of the class stories.

Aries_cz
01.08.2014 , 02:15 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
I would agree, and trust me, it isn't lost on me on how unfortunate that is - however, that's exactly where the game has gone. The change in philosophy occured when there were those mass bioware layoffs. Most of the story advocates got sacked, and they put a new head producer in place. Since then, there has been this migration AWAY from story in the game, including trying to close up plot points the original staff intentionally left open for expansion (i.e. claiming now the Jedi Knight really did kill the Emperor when after originally completing the Sith Warrior story you used to get an email from the Hands assuring you that while weakened, the Knight only killed the Emperor's Voice - also see changing the False Emperor flashpoint to killing Malgus outright when before he fell into the pit (and therefore conceivably escape).

Even when you talk to the people who used to be in charge, Malgus and Revan were both made ways to stay alive, because they had big plans for both down the road.

But that change in leadership changed everything. That's why if we want story to continue, we have to show ways that they can profit off of it. Otherwise, if they even do any more planets and story going forward, expect a lot more blandness like Makeb as it relates to the richness of the class stories.
Actually, the change in BW helped, in my opinion, at least in regard to more player customizations and stuff like that.
And, to my knowledge, nobody actually claimed that
Spoiler
, it is just a widely spread opinion, even in the upper echelons of the Empire and Republic thinks that it really is true (or they are using it as a propaganda to demoralize the Empire and convince fringe worlds to stand united with Republic).
As for Malgus, I assumed this was a dumbing down of the mechanics, because some people are obviously dumb to use their knockbacks or the conveniently located concussion grenades.
As for Revan, nothing was mentioned or stated about him, it is possible that he is recuperating somewhere and reacquiring his followers.

TUXs
01.08.2014 , 02:22 PM | #127
Well, keep in mind, the main content would already be in place because the backdrop is the expansion pack, which everyone buys.

So a requirement for those class quests would be the expansion pack - a prereq if you will.

Then all we are talking about is a questline using already-made content as the setting, because most of the assets needed will have already been made for the purposes of the expansion pack, which again, everyone buys, ala makeb.
So what you're suggesting is actually "double dipping" kinda right? Sell an "expansion", but withhold the quests to sell them at a later time...or...sell the "expansion" with just enough quests that it qualifies as an "expansion", followed by selling the NEW quests later on, individually, in the CM?

I guess I just don't understand how you think selling them would be worth any real $ on the CM. If they sell an "expansion" and don't have new quests, people will be furious. If they then sell quests, or even just "better quests", people would again be furious.

I don't see where the payout is for Bioware in this scenario? All they would end up doing is shooting themselves in the foot by releasing the crap quests with the "expansion" and then double dipping on that expansion by trying squeeze more out of a few...wouldn't they just be better off charging more upfront for MORE content?

The part I simply don't understand is how your idea makes Bioware MORE money?
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 02:24 PM | #128
Actually, the change in BW helped, in my opinion, at least in regard to more player customizations and stuff like that.
And, to my knowledge, nobody actually claimed that
Spoiler
, it is just a widely spread opinion, even in the upper echelons of the Empire and Republic thinks that it really is true (or they are using it as a propaganda to demoralize the Empire and convince fringe worlds to stand united with Republic).
As for Malgus, I assumed this was a dumbing down of the mechanics, because some people are obviously dumb to use their knockbacks or the conveniently located concussion grenades.
As for Revan, nothing was mentioned or stated about him, it is possible that he is recuperating somewhere and reacquiring his followers.
To bring you up to speed on the spoiler:

Spoiler

Aries_cz
01.08.2014 , 02:31 PM | #129
To bring you up to speed on the spoiler:

Spoiler
Oh, ok... maybe Eric was trolling the asker? Or maybe he does not know?

It seems like a stupid thing to say, or even ask, why would anyone ask if story endings contradict each other when there is nothing to suggest that

ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 02:36 PM | #130
Oh, ok... maybe Eric was trolling the asker? Or maybe he does not know?

It seems like a stupid thing to say, or even ask, why would anyone ask if story endings contradict each other when there is nothing to suggest that
You don't get it - there was no asker. This wasn't Q&A.

This was Trivia time - Eric asked the question, and then gave a prize to the person who answered correctly in his mind.

That right there spoke more volume about how they view story than anything else they said that night.