Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If new Class Story is so costly, why can't they just sell it in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
If new Class Story is so costly, why can't they just sell it in the cartel market?

ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 12:59 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
You are conflating. Most of us bought RoTHC for $10. Which frankly is about right for the size of it. Now it's free.
$30 was what Tux said. I quoted him and used his numbers. Stop trolling.

Vandicus
01.08.2014 , 01:00 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
Ok...

So this was covered in post 1....

Why sell an expansion for $30 when they seem to only be able to put out enough content for the likes of Makeb (which is fine), holding that content back while they get all the class stories done and delaying it, when instead,

They STILL can release a $30 expansion pack of just faction quests and a new planet (as they did for Makeb), and THEN charge freemium members say $6 in cartel coins (free for subs) for class stories that are released over the period of a year on that same planet? And what I mean is, say February a new planet is launched. Late March, Warrior gets a class quest on the planet, late april comes smuggler, mid june comes agent, etc.

See what I am getting at now?
I don't think enough f2pers would buy it to justify the cost. Do you believe that alone justifies their creation, or do you also consider this as part of a regular content update cycle and a draw to subscribers?
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

branmakmuffin
01.08.2014 , 01:00 PM | #103
You're starting to look like Ayelinna.

Have a nice day.

Andryah
01.08.2014 , 01:02 PM | #104
I'm not trolling. I am correcting false information presented by you. It's not my fault you used false information.
"The internet has enabled so much and empowered so many. But it can also be a place where the basic rules of decency are suspended and pettiness and negativity thrive, - Tim Cook, Apple CEO

Vandicus
01.08.2014 , 01:02 PM | #105
Subs still need to pay for the expansion, like they did for Makeb.
That's the point. Your model targets f2pers, who aren't likely spenders in the first place. Expansions are able to get subscribers to pay on top of what they already pay, and subscribers are very likely to buy expansions.

Also, I think you should try and view some of the posters in this thread a little less negatively. You've had a few miscommunications back and forth(which you have chosen to interpret as an attempt to troll you), which are simply genuine misunderstandings. If someone doesn't seem to get what you're saying, try restating it. No need to immediately jump on them.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 01:04 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
I don't think enough f2pers would buy it to justify the cost. Do you believe that alone justifies their creation, or do you also consider this as part of a regular content update cycle and a draw to subscribers?
Well, keep in mind, the main content would already be in place because the backdrop is the expansion pack, which everyone buys.

So a requirement for those class quests would be the expansion pack - a prereq if you will.

Then all we are talking about is a questline using already-made content as the setting, because most of the assets needed will have already been made for the purposes of the expansion pack, which again, everyone buys, ala makeb.

Callaron
01.08.2014 , 01:06 PM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
DDO, TSW, and Defiance however have adopted a fundamental business model of selling content AND expacs through their shop. Bioware to date, has not done so. Also, story is embraced by many as a "4th pillar" of content, hence the passionate uprising we saw in the forums.

In the datacube case, they were testing the market. The market sent blowback. Since the CM is not fundamental to the current Bioware business model of releasing classic playable content (missions, OPs, etc) it's much simpler for them to test, observe, listen to what the player base says, and then continue on accordingly. So.. story will come through either free patches or paid expacs, rather then the CM. I'm fine with it either way personally.
True.
Two out of those three are highly story focused MMO's as well though, and advertise as such.
It's a shame they chose to "test the waters" in a way that was pretty much guaranteed to blow up in their faces considering how a lot of people feel about Cartel Packs - hopefully one day they'll revisit the idea in a more palatable form.
I can imagine why they'd be hesitant to test it with a real story pack as well, since it would be expensive to make - and rather painful to recover from if it turns out no one buys it.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.

ZionHalcyon
01.08.2014 , 01:07 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
That's the point. Your model targets f2pers, who aren't likely spenders in the first place. Expansions are able to get subscribers to pay on top of what they already pay, and subscribers are very likely to buy expansions.

Also, I think you should try and view some of the posters in this thread a little less negatively. You've had a few miscommunications back and forth(which you have chosen to interpret as an attempt to troll you), which are simply genuine misunderstandings. If someone doesn't seem to get what you're saying, try restating it. No need to immediately jump on them.
Well, in the cases of some, (brak and andryah), the intent was to troll, not discuss. I can be certain of that now, especially with braks last comment. Knowing they are just here to flamebait, I can ignore them from here on out.

As for the others, you're right. Not going to let the trolls get to me, and I'll keep it toned down.

I will say this - some people choose to see me as having an answer for everything as combative - I prefer to think that this is instead just a well-thought out idea. I do need to express myself in a bit better tone, however.

Vandicus
01.08.2014 , 01:08 PM | #109
Well, keep in mind, the main content would already be in place because the backdrop is the expansion pack, which everyone buys.

So a requirement for those class quests would be the expansion pack - a prereq if you will.

Then all we are talking about is a questline using already-made content as the setting, because most of the assets needed will have already been made for the purposes of the expansion pack, which again, everyone buys, ala makeb.
I don't quite follow.

Your OP was suggesting a way for class stories to draw additional revenue on top of expansion revenue from f2pers, as well as proposing a more flexible method of content introduction.

Here you seem to be suggesting that since the expansion was made already as a backdrop, that costs would be reduced for the model. Thing is, the same holds true if they develop everything in parallel. The cost-savings that you're speaking of don't seem to be unique to the solution provided, so they can't be used as a benefit compared to other development plans.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

ELRunninW
01.08.2014 , 01:10 PM | #110
I could say the same for you - I pose the question as a suggestion and already countered many of the typical arguments against in the initial post, and yet you seem to keep trying to strawman the thread anyway. So back at ya - troll much?
I did not ask any questions, yet you think I need an answer, no thank you. You are the one asking questions and answering them yourself.