Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Reinvigorate the "Darth" and "Master" titles.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Reinvigorate the "Darth" and "Master" titles.

JidaiDerriphan's Avatar


JidaiDerriphan
12.31.2013 , 07:25 PM | #1
Hello SWTOR community, as a long time player and life long Star Wars fan it saddens me that the most prestigious Sith and Jedi titles are so easily earned in this game. Originally at launch it was pretty awesome to see Darths walking around but upon hitting level 50 and getting the title myself I rarely used it because how common it had already become. Jedi masters and Sith Darths are supposed to be the most powerful force users in the galaxy and that feeling (to me) has been completely lost over the last 2 years.

This is a pre-suggestion post to gather community opinion on what the actual suggestion should be to Bioware- The basic idea I have is that they should edit some of the story line to change the titles received at the end of the story missions, and replace the original requirement with much more difficult requirements, to bring back the prestige to the Darth and Jedi Master titles.

So the requirements might be something like:
Finish Class Storyline
100 Valor
Social X
50 Legacy
at least 1 legend standing
Datacron master
Lore Master

Does anyone think this idea could gain community support or should I not even suggest it? If you have ideas/input feel free to share, I didn't want to make the requirements impossible , but enough difficulty to restore the prestige.

My Refer a Friend link*: Http://www.swtor.com/r/fhKgVR
*7 Days of FREE subscription, a FREE Character Transfer, and Box of goodies (that includes a free inventory row) you'll receive via in-game mail on ALL of your characters!

Darth_Moonshadow's Avatar


Darth_Moonshadow
12.31.2013 , 07:32 PM | #2
I vote no to any suggestion that restricts players and invents more artificial castes. Bad enough we have the deadly Trinity of PVEers, PVPers and RPers tearing at each other. Now creating a barrier between players over titles?

I don't want to be the guy who craps on people, I really don't. Your appreciation for the titles of Darth and Master are a boon to your Star Wars fan cred. But this is a game, after all. Not everyone wants to grind out just to get a title that, as you have stated yourself, doesn't really mean anything at all.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

MillionsKNives's Avatar


MillionsKNives
12.31.2013 , 07:32 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by JidaiDerriphan View Post
Hello SWTOR community, as a long time player and life long Star Wars fan it saddens me that the most prestigious Sith and Jedi titles are so easily earned in this game. Originally at launch it was pretty awesome to see Darths walking around but upon hitting level 50 and getting the title myself I rarely used it because how common it had already become. Jedi masters and Sith Darths are supposed to be the most powerful force users in the galaxy and that feeling (to me) has been completely lost over the last 2 years.

This is a pre-suggestion post to gather community opinion on what the actual suggestion should be to Bioware- The basic idea I have is that they should edit some of the story line to change the titles received at the end of the story missions, and replace the original requirement with much more difficult requirements, to bring back the prestige to the Darth and Jedi Master titles.

So the requirements might be something like:
Finish Class Storyline
100 Valor
Social X
50 Legacy
at least 1 legend standing
Datacron master
Lore Master

Does anyone think this idea could gain community support or should I not even suggest it? If you have ideas/input feel free to share, I didn't want to make the requirements impossible , but enough difficulty to restore the prestige.
There are many millions of force users in the galaxy at this point in time. You can't move ten feet without running into a force user NPC. Our characters ARE the most powerful in the galaxy.

Zorvan's Avatar


Zorvan
12.31.2013 , 07:33 PM | #4
.....
Thinking of returning to SWToR as a subscriber, or want to subscribe for the first time?
Do yourself a favor and just use the money to buy a pizza instead.

Nickious's Avatar


Nickious
12.31.2013 , 07:37 PM | #5
I don't think many people would take kindly to having their title ripped away.

I think adding "Grand Master" and "High Lord" or something of that nature would maybe be better suited toward having such high requirements.

Drox's Avatar


Drox
12.31.2013 , 07:44 PM | #6
Don't think it matters that much, story wise you pretty much earn it. Making it like an achievement is pointless since almost everything you listed comes with its own titles and achievements. Darth and Master tie too closely with the storyline as the topping on the cake when you finally finish it.

For example:

Spoiler


and

Spoiler


So story wise, the titles make sense. Go for harder title achievements if you want something to show off, Darth and Master aren't it. My only beef is after you gain this position, you don't get to do much with it. Would like to see them expand your role as a Darth or Master, maybe with followers/apprentices beyond companions.

Aries_cz's Avatar


Aries_cz
12.31.2013 , 07:45 PM | #7
There are crapload of Darths during Imperial stories
There is a slightly fewer Masters in Republic stories, but still plenty.

And those titles are "earned" for great accomplishments in your character's personal story, which usually comes with you being one seriously powerful person. Remember, technically, there is only one Barsen'thor, one Wrath, etc, but there are craploads of those players.
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Darth_Moonshadow's Avatar


Darth_Moonshadow
12.31.2013 , 07:47 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
There are crapload of Darths during Imperial stories
There is a slightly fewer Masters in Republic stories, but still plenty.

And those titles are "earned" for great accomplishments in your character's personal story, which usually comes with you being one seriously powerful person. Remember, technically, there is only one Barsen'thor, one Wrath, etc, but there are craploads of those players.
Indeed. Technically we are "canon" Old Republic characters.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

CrazyMcGee's Avatar


CrazyMcGee
12.31.2013 , 07:48 PM | #9
No, because it would be inconsistent with the stories.

After everything I've done as a Jedi or Sith in my class story, it wouldn't make any sense for me not to be a Master or a Darth.

Just look at the Jedi Knight storyline. Are you really telling me that after I defeat the Chapter 3 boss, the Jedi Council are going to turn around and go: "hey, nice work, now let's continue your training and see if you can work a bit harder, k?"

Ayradyss's Avatar


Ayradyss
12.31.2013 , 07:49 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
I vote no to any suggestion that restricts players and invents more artificial castes. Bad enough we have the deadly Trinity of PVEers, PVPers and RPers tearing at each other. Now creating a barrier between players over titles?

I don't want to be the guy who craps on people, I really don't. Your appreciation for the titles of Darth and Master are a boon to your Star Wars fan cred. But this is a game, after all. Not everyone wants to grind out just to get a title that, as you have stated yourself, doesn't really mean anything at all.
Well, said! I agree with this 100%.
"Love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled... but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love itself will save you... not condemn you." -- Jolee Bindo