Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why Class Stories and Companion Arcs Are Dead

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why Class Stories and Companion Arcs Are Dead

Andryah
01.02.2014 , 05:46 PM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by Sangrar View Post
Just don't be so hostile next time, forums are for argument and you can't let posts here get to you, they are just random people on computers everywhere.
/Agree.

There is NO win or lose in gaming forums... only discussion and sharing of opinion.

As soon as people insist on converting their mind set to win/lose theatrics, they have jumped the shark in the context of gaming forums, IMO.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

Marb
01.02.2014 , 05:47 PM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by JMCA View Post
I'm done posting on this. If people can't see the value of differentiating the product and tapping into the still unrealized potential of TV episode like story telling in MMOs, then they can go back to running around in Slave Outfits and spamming general chat on fleet with their pathetic operation groups. Can't stand talking to idiots and have learned the following from being stuck in a conversation with Darth Failshadow, The UnDork, and the rest of the morons who are so desperate for SWTOR to be like WoW when it never will

"Don’t argue with idiots. They’ll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."
While I don't agree with you either, I think it's a shame that this discussion has to come to an end. Talking about the future of the game is always relevant. Calling people who don't agree with you morons is a bit much, but I can see how it has escalated to that point reading back through the thread.

One point I was trying to stress was how operations exist in that post-WoW template (your main point), but there isn't any reason why operations have to be "raids" in the conventional sense. I like to do PvE with large groups of people I enjoy playing with in this game because I like star wars, I don't necessarily care what format it's in.
Harbinger

AlrikFassbauer
01.03.2014 , 05:38 AM | #143
Telltale ( the makers of "Tales Of Monkey Island" ) : "The industry ignores the Story" : http://www.bloomberg.com/video/we-th...bHb416TlQ.html
Quote: Originally Posted by Surbatu View Post
When everybody plays one class = perfect balance. Right? Problem solved.

SamsterHam
01.03.2014 , 09:52 AM | #144
Why is everyone so up-in-arms at each other? people have their differences and BW has to pay all their employees and such, let alone create ten games at once! that's VERY costly, and if you ask me, I LOVE class stories but maybe they could do a setup where you have HEROIC 2+ story content, where say the quest is, Team up with a Jedi Knight, then report back to General Garza for your briefing. It could be custamizeable so if you don't get a partner, you tell General Garza, and with the Jedi, go to Geneal Garza anyway and get the mission. Some cross-class stuff, which is great for RPG players and MMO players

JamieKirby
05.07.2014 , 05:37 PM | #145
To me, the 'too expensive' excuse is bulls*it, they are just too damn lazy to do anything more then a generic story arc, the recent story arc was just group content, which is haven't even bothered to see.

I just think if you sell an idea based on specific features and you change them after you made your money based on that idea, should be illegal or they should atleast admit that they were stupid and screwed up and say sorry, but i am sure they have too much pride to do that.

DarthTHC
05.07.2014 , 06:25 PM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
To me, the 'too expensive' excuse is bulls*it, they are just too damn lazy to do anything more then a generic story arc, the recent story arc was just group content, which is haven't even bothered to see.

I just think if you sell an idea based on specific features and you change them after you made your money based on that idea, should be illegal or they should atleast admit that they were stupid and screwed up and say sorry, but i am sure they have too much pride to do that.
Nice necro.

Products and services change over time. So do stories.

Luke and Leia weren't brother and sister until after A New Hope. Darth Vader's first name was "Darth"; it wasn't a title. Leonard and Penny started dating. Then stopped. Then started again. Car manufacturers started putting seat belts in cars. And airbags. And fuel injectors and computers, which makes them a lot harder to modify.

BioWare sold the game based on specific features, and story was one of those features. Guess what? Story is still a feature. They keep adding more and more story. The current story is one about Theron Shan and the Sith invading Tython while the Jedi invade Korriban. There is much to come in this story.

And, this story has as one of its authors the author of the best class story in the game. Yep, Alexander Freed is still working for BioWare (as a contractor these days) and still writing story for SWTOR. So, no, story isn't gone.

Now the particular adjective some people trick themselves into requiring may no longer be with the story... and I'll give you a hint, that adjective is not, "good", because that one is still with the story.

Lunafox
05.07.2014 , 06:50 PM | #147
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
The problem with Oricon is that if you aren't a raider there is only about one hour of content and then it's just the same old daily grind that we already have plenty of. Having the story end mid way through for soloers was bad form and I hope they never do that again. I did it once and felt like I was given the bird and haven't bothered bringing a second character through.
I agree with this ^^^. I play alone, and I haven't seen a decent completion to a story since the end of my class story and Makeb (which I saw twice for each side). The other stories since then, have had their endings or cool parts put in ops and fps, so I've been getting about 1/2 a story, and never an ending. It's horrible, and we hates it, we do. The latest story, is completely restricted to fp/ops, with only the first conversation to do and nothing more.

Here...lick this chocolate, but that's all you're getting, unless you round up a bunch of other people. Screw that.
Check out my novel! ETERNITY AWAITS

theUndead
05.07.2014 , 07:24 PM | #148
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
I agree with this ^^^. I play alone, and I haven't seen a decent completion to a story since the end of my class story and Makeb (which I saw twice for each side). The other stories since then, have had their endings or cool parts put in ops and fps, so I've been getting about 1/2 a story, and never an ending. It's horrible, and we hates it, we do. The latest story, is completely restricted to fp/ops, with only the first conversation to do and nothing more.

Here...lick this chocolate, but that's all you're getting, unless you round up a bunch of other people. Screw that.
Luna got an honest question for you if I may.

With all due respect in the world, why do you despise the group content of this game? I mean it is an MMO after all.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

Pagy
05.07.2014 , 07:36 PM | #149
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post

youre playing a multiplayer game

stop, and find another game

Ansultares
05.07.2014 , 09:53 PM | #150
Quote: Originally Posted by JMCA View Post
Sure, Makeb was a good story but it isn't the kind of deep story that Bioware games have been for years. That's the quality element I was talking about.

Old school Bioware games weren't just great stories on their own - they were great stories that you could experience in totally different ways each time you played through them.
So, they failed to achieve that with Makeb, but that doesn't prevent them from accomplishing it in the future.

I've been saying since I first played this game at release that the cutscenes were poorly utilized. While I'm not cheerleading the loss of class stories, because it's one area where cutscenes are great, I'm not exactly mourning for them either.

I'd love to see them put the same level of effort into developing a single story that actually has genuine replay value with drastically different achievable outcomes alongside differences in plot.

Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
With all due respect in the world, why do you despise the group content of this game? I mean it is an MMO after all.
KOTOR fans were sold on this being KOTOR 3-10.

Quote: Originally Posted by jstankaroslo View Post
The story players generally wouldn't finish so soon.
I would say they tend to be older and don't put in as much time; eight months to finish even one character might be ambitious for them. I've done equivalent runs in other games which took less time, but none of them had their pacing as purposefully slowed as SWTORs does, due primarily to the cutscenes.

Leveling alts isn't as popular an activity as some people might think. I like story, but I'm not going to level another class just to get a little bit more of it.

They used the cutscenes to tell the story, and not the game world. The story ends up being presented in a disjointed manner, contextualized briefly and only within the confines of the cutscene itself, to the point where even the quest logs are just glorified excuses for shoving in some random off-topic lore. As a result, the environments feel generic, as if two totally independent teams designed and developed them without ever meeting at all, not even at the office Christmas party.

Oh, and the whole thing about "meaningful choices" or whatnot...besides sounding like empty marketing fluff, it actually played out as mostly empty marketing fluff, with few choices having any impact, no choices having any meaningful impact, too many response options that not only the subsequent voice response didn't match exactly but didn't even come close to conveying, and a few stock responses that were used far too often and became laughably sad when combined with the previously cited issue.