Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Credit Seller Spam is Getting Worse Lately

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Credit Seller Spam is Getting Worse Lately

Aristeed
12.25.2013 , 02:10 PM | #1
I don't think it's just me that's noticing it. I report and ignore each time, but they are getting more prolific recently. There are bots that spam it in general and in say by the galactic markets every few seconds, at least on Ebon Hawk.

Just my 2 cents requesting Bioware make a special push soon to squash these guys.

Tsillah
12.25.2013 , 02:15 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Aristeed View Post
I don't think it's just me that's noticing it. I report and ignore each time, but they are getting more prolific recently. There are bots that spam it in general and in say by the galactic markets every few seconds, at least on Ebon Hawk.

Just my 2 cents requesting Bioware make a special push soon to squash these guys.
Well, that's one of the consequences of f2p accounts. I usually only see it from time to time on the starter planet and here and there on the fleet. Considering other games I've played with f2p accounts this game still does really well I feel. Try a f2p game and see if you still think it's so bad here.

Yeh BW did screw up last year and f2p with the cm did save this game, but I wish it'd never come to this. Subs aren't just a form of payment but also a protection for the game and players when it comes to gold seller activity.

That's why f2p accounts have a credit cap and cannot queue crafting orders. It's all to make sure the gold sellers don't get much of a chance.

But one thing...it's xmas time and I am sure they are working on skeletal crew at the moment. Sad but true but these days are probably the easiest days for gold sellers.
Et In Gehenna Vixi...

OddballEasyEight
12.25.2013 , 02:40 PM | #3
One thing I have noticed is that there is almost no point to reporting them
When I report one I always put them on ignore right after and 9 times out of 10 when I do it states that there is no such player.

What I think they are doing is they create a new player, log in to the starter planet, spam chat once and then log out and delete the player.
They do that over and over with nonsensical names.
Personally I don't care much since I doubt anyone buys from them. Credits are easy enough to get in-game and you can't really do much with them at low levels (at least not starter planets levels since you don't even know what's on the GTN at that point).
Click here for free stuff.
Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.
Click here to view my class storyline videos and preview blaster sounds

tekhiun
12.25.2013 , 02:51 PM | #4
wait, didn't the fact ppl could sell CM items eradicate gold sellers ? guess not
Star Wars: Attack of the Cartel.

s_w_sanders
12.25.2013 , 02:54 PM | #5
I've noticed this too, and it's annoying and i've reported them several times.

Though being a founder and seeing this game go through it's ups and downs, it is good to see people are doing this. I take it as a sign of life for the game, and a sign that it is actually fairly popular. It's still annoying, but that's just my two cents.

micnevv
12.25.2013 , 02:57 PM | #6
Compared to other F2P games it really isn't bad at all. But yeah, there really is no solution to this, just ignore them and carry on.

MaximilianPower
12.25.2013 , 02:58 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
One thing I have noticed is that there is almost no point to reporting them
When I report one I always put them on ignore right after and 9 times out of 10 when I do it states that there is no such player.

What I think they are doing is they create a new player, log in to the starter planet, spam chat once and then log out and delete the player.
They do that over and over with nonsensical names.
Personally I don't care much since I doubt anyone buys from them. Credits are easy enough to get in-game and you can't really do much with them at low levels (at least not starter planets levels since you don't even know what's on the GTN at that point).
I'm not sure about the starter planet spam, but fleet chat (Jedi Covenant, at least) is definitely getting worse. When I report/ignore those guys, I don't get the "no such player" message. I guess it takes more effort to get a toon to fleet, so maybe they aren't immediately deleting themselves there.

Regardless, it's pretty annoying. It's almost always the same message/verbiage/site that's being promoted, just by dozens and dozens of different "players". I agree, they can't be selling much. So I can't figure out how all of this could possibly be worth their time.
Hey, Barsen'thor Bill
What did you kill
Barsen'thor Bill

Zuckerkorn TøbiasFünke Jedi Covenant
The Nevernude Legacy: firing railguns up enemy tailpipes since 2013

Rankyn
12.25.2013 , 03:22 PM | #8
Report, Ignore, Move on.
Takes less than 15 seconds and you'll never hear from that character again.

Personally, I'm less annoyed by the occasional credit seller spam than all the LFGroup/Guild, WTS/WTB spam that fills up the chat box faster than any credit spammer does.

Jacen_Starsolo
12.25.2013 , 03:22 PM | #9
What I find funny is two of the games I think are the easiest to make money (TOR being one of the two), that they get the most gold farming broadcasts in general chat. I guess that's a sign that people aren't going to websites searching for gold to buy with real money so they have to go in the game to broadcast it.

maximumdamages
12.25.2013 , 04:02 PM | #10
Although this is less common than the chat spammers, the one I really hate is the mail message with some url and a bunch words that has syntax errors with one credit attached.
The Bastion.
RIP Warriors of the Shadow