Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Low fps, gpu or cpu related?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Low fps, gpu or cpu related?

dacentabaal
02.23.2014 , 02:40 AM | #21
Intel Core Duo 3.00GHz
1GB ATI Radeon HD5770
4Gb RAM

I run the game on max settings, minus having shadows on low or off, game runs smooth and perfect for me, I don't care for FPS as I know mine would be terrible so I never look.. aslong as the game runs smoothly and graphics are great I don't care :-)

New systems that's coming though is:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core i5-4570 3.2GHz
2GB AMD RADEON HD7850
8GB RAM (DDR3/4)

So If I can play max setting now without problems.. my new system will be a walk in the park I think
Tamworth - England (I don't like or drink Tea)
The Progenitor RP English Server
CE Owner
Friend Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/sdFwY8

EnemyEntity
02.23.2014 , 05:23 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by EnemyEntity View Post
System specs:
AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processer 3.8 Ghz
8 GB RAM
Windows 8
MSI HD Radeon 7750 2 GB

Should I be able to play on full settings?
Also with this setup what would be the first thing to upgrade?
The reason I ask is because I get low fps with shadows on which I understand a lot of people have problems with but from my beginners understanding of computers I thought this PC would have no problem.
Also my PSU is only 300 w, would that make a difference in performance?

dakyo
02.24.2014 , 09:22 AM | #23
Use SWTOR Unleashed. It works wonders for fleet.

I found that the problem with stuttering is caused by loading in game FX on the fly when they should be in RAM for best performance. This can only be acheived with SWTOR:Unleashed.

Try it.
The Forthewin Legacy

dakyo
02.24.2014 , 09:22 AM | #24
YES !

For that spec you want at least a 500w. AT LEAST !
The Forthewin Legacy

DarknessInLight
02.24.2014 , 09:41 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Heppuli View Post
So, as the title says, I got a problem with my fps. Specs are as follows; AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE 3.04Ghz, 8G DDR2 ram, ATI Radeon HD 4890 1G OC, Win 7 64 home premium(?). As you can see, the computer is old. Still, everywhere I've read it says that a quadcore processor at/over 3Ghz should have no problems playing this game. Also, benchmarking tests show that ati 5770 should be capable of keeping fps over 30 with high graphics and some AA. and 4890 is somewhat better than 5770.

As it stands, my fps is fine when outdoors and alone. Questing and leveling is fairly good. But, when I go to the fleet or play warzones, it drops to 15-20. In fact, when in combat fps is always under 30.. charging with marauder isn't smooth, it glitches annoyingly. Lowering graph settings has NO increase in fps, and this bugs me the most. Shouldn't my specs at least be able to put 60fps with very low graphs, when various sites state that high graphs are possible with the hardware.

I've tried swtor unleashed to no use, my aero disables when I go play the game, and I've tried every setting option available... Any ideas why the game doesn't run smooth when it should, or is the hardware just too old?

Thanks in advance.
Just looking at your specs alone, I think I see ONE major issue. That memory your rig is using: 8 GB DDR2. That's pretty slow by today's standards. 4GB alone is required for 64 bit Windows 7, such as you currently have. Add in the 2 GB(minimum required for the game) and there isnt much room to maneuver. Check to see if your mobo supports DDR3 because DDR2 is kinda old.

Your memory does appear to be the culprit, but I do have a question, is this a laptop, or a desktop?
Jedi do not fight for Peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading, as slogans always are. Jedi fight for Civilization, because only Civilization creates Peace. - Jedi Master Mace Windu

DarknessInLight
02.24.2014 , 09:49 AM | #26
It would, but it also creates a situation where you are causing damage to the components inside your computer.

If you decide to upgrade your PSU, you need to check and see, starting with your motherboard and case, IF they will even support an upgraded PSU, otherwise you are going to be building a new rig.
Jedi do not fight for Peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading, as slogans always are. Jedi fight for Civilization, because only Civilization creates Peace. - Jedi Master Mace Windu

dacentabaal
02.24.2014 , 11:45 AM | #27
I would say upgrade to at least a 550W, I'm gonna be using a 2GB AMD RADEON™ HD7850, and that recommends about 400-500w just for the card, so got a 650w to cover that and the what ever else runs in the system, looking at your specs
8 GB RAM
Windows 8
MSI HD Radeon 7750 2 GB

I'd say having that low of a PSU would start to take its toll on the rest of your parts and effect them, always better to go over on power than under
Tamworth - England (I don't like or drink Tea)
The Progenitor RP English Server
CE Owner
Friend Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/sdFwY8

Dropadeuce
02.24.2014 , 07:23 PM | #28
OP, your cpu will overclock past 4ghz and be more useful when using this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103099 You will see more improvement by doing this.

Your video card is a bit dated but it should be fine as long as you turned off shadows, bloom, and aliasing, experiment with the other graphic settings.

Also, download and install this important direct x update that most people miss. It made a difference for me. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=8109

Your 8 gigs of ddr2 is fine.

EnemyEntity
02.24.2014 , 11:39 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by dacentabaal View Post
I would say upgrade to at least a 550W, I'm gonna be using a 2GB AMD RADEON™ HD7850, and that recommends about 400-500w just for the card, so got a 650w to cover that and the what ever else runs in the system, looking at your specs
8 GB RAM
Windows 8
MSI HD Radeon 7750 2 GB

I'd say having that low of a PSU would start to take its toll on the rest of your parts and effect them, always better to go over on power than under
My computer did come like this so wouldn't that mean it isn't getting damaged?
I will upgrade it if I can, but all these specs came as is.

DarthRaistlin
02.25.2014 , 04:25 AM | #30
Wow 3 pages of noob answers.

It is most likely a hardrive issue. The game is trying to load textures and your HDD can't get them out fast enough.

A $130 500 GB velociraptor or an ssd would fix this issue for you, or since you have 8. GB of ram you could also make a ramdrive.

But yes your system is showing its age a bit. Upgrading your GPU would be a decent idea, but don't waste your time on any of your main components besides the HDD, a new build would be a much better investment.