Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sith Sorcerer - worst talent?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Sith Sorcerer - worst talent?

Von_Altair
12.22.2011 , 04:25 PM | #1
My strong candinate is:

Exsanguinate 0/2 - Increases the duration of Affliction by 3 sec

So what this talent does, lowers your dot dps. The same damage, but takes 6 more seconds for it. Can anyone tell, what purpose this serves?

For the Empire!

Natarii
12.22.2011 , 04:34 PM | #2
Um, no. Increasing DoT duration extends the amount of times it will 'tick.' It does not lower the dmg of each tick. This talent with absolutely increase the dmg output of affliction.
Dark Lord of Altaholics Anonymous
Sword of Ajunta Pall - Sith Empire

Dademoor
12.22.2011 , 04:50 PM | #3
Its been the same in several MMOs.

EXAMPLE:

DoT does 1000 damage over 10 seconds
=100 damage per second

If a talent adds 3 seconds onto the duration the overall DoT damage is increased to 1300

This will also serve as a more efficent spell, as in longer fights where you have to maintain the DoT the entire time to maximize your DPS potentional you will have to cast it less often.
Likely Outcomes of Owning a REAL Lightsaber
1% Save the galaxy 2% Sell it to the highest bidder
7% Become a ruthless murderer
90% Immediate. Accidental Self-Dismemberment

Cyrric
12.22.2011 , 04:56 PM | #4
Also it alows you to cast Thundering Blast more often without having to use a GCD to re-apply

Canarith
12.22.2011 , 05:25 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyrric View Post
Also it alows you to cast Thundering Blast more often without having to use a GCD to re-apply
This. Thundering Blast has a 9 second cooldown. Without the talent to Affliction, you would not be able to recast it a second time before refreshing Affliction, since Thundering Blast has a 2 second cast(with no alacrity).

Von_Altair
12.22.2011 , 05:27 PM | #6
Well, the spell info changes duration, but not damage. Thats confirmed.

Then there must be a description bug.

Numerii
12.22.2011 , 06:56 PM | #7
Devour imo.

Dastion
12.23.2011 , 12:14 AM | #8
The basic rule for talents which increase DoTs duration is that each point gives you an extra 'tick' of damage. This holds true for Resurgence, Affliction, and Crushing Darkness, which all have talents to increase their duration.

The tool tip simply fails to update the total damage.

Xiankai
12.23.2011 , 12:44 AM | #9
While we're discussing talents, I want to go down the Lightning tree myself, did you guys get Electric induction or reserves on the bottom tier? I'm debating if 100 force power will really be that much towards the end. As oppose to reduction in force power spending.
No matter how sure I am, I never bet the Fett man.

Mooby
12.23.2011 , 01:10 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiankai View Post
While we're discussing talents, I want to go down the Lightning tree myself, did you guys get Electric induction or reserves on the bottom tier? I'm debating if 100 force power will really be that much towards the end. As oppose to reduction in force power spending.
Electric Induction should be taken no matter whether you spec Madness, Lightning or Corruption. Reserves is a weird one, it does nothing other than increase your Force pool a little bit and the only purpose of that is to make you take a little longer to go from full force to 0 Force, and you should never be hitting 0 Force anyway so I find it a bit "meh".

On the topic of worst talent, it's Devour for me. It only comes in ahead of Parasitism because it's on the second last tier in Madness which takes a lot of points to get, and it's total garbage.