Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What about pre-equipping the Adaptive Armor scaled to level?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Cartel Market Suggestions
What about pre-equipping the Adaptive Armor scaled to level?

Corrupted_Soul
12.29.2013 , 06:49 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Orlogg View Post
@ Corrupted_Soul: Excellent reply!! Thanx for the feedback, and for the advice
I also wondered if it would be an idea to turn present-worn gear into one-time-usable modifications, in a way that the stats of your Companions presently worn gear would be transferred to the armor you bought at the Cartel Market store... Would that hurt crafters and/or the economy?
You're most welcome. Believe me when I say that I thought there was a high chance that you would take offense, call me a troll because I disagreed, and start flaming me. You are unusual to these forums. Glad to find someone who can take constructive criticism.
I barely craft, but I am aware from those who care deeply about it that just about anything that replaces you buying from another player would, at least in their eyes and I must agree, hurt crafters. As for the economy, I honestly believe we need more money sinks. I know at lower levels you may seem credit-strapped, but once you are doing dailies (50-55) it rains credits. I'm not even talking about loot chest hunting, just running your dailies for Comms nets you 100k-300k per zone (depending on zone and random drops) quite easily. Anything that lessens the credit drain could only lead to more inflation on the GTN. Idk. Maybe I am over reacting, but in two years of this game I've seen the GTN prices creep upward, and that to me is a sign of needing more money sinks.

I know you are aware of the cries of "pay to win" that could be leveled at your idea. And while I like that you want to "keep it below" that level, it's a hard level to gauge. Someone will always cry it no matter how little you get from your idea statwise. There used to be a few cartel market outfits sold with stats. They got pulled for just this reason, people cried pay to win. And I don't know how much lowering of stats it would take on your idea to negate that, likely it would be to the point that your idea is so stat weak as to be meaningless for what you want it for.

Companions are a lot of fun, and they really help you bond with your character. I think most people would enjoy more with them story wise.

Orlogg
12.30.2013 , 09:17 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Corrupted_Soul View Post
You're most welcome. Believe me when I say that I thought there was a high chance that you would take offense, call me a troll because I disagreed, and start flaming me. You are unusual to these forums. Glad to find someone who can take constructive criticism.
Thanx for the compliment I too noticed that there is indeed a fairly high incidence of flaming people down on these forums, but there are also people (you and me apparently, but also some other folks I 'met' in threads, but I'm not here long enough to remember usernames) who can take a nuanced position towards things.

As for me not taking offense, it also helps that I found my OP suggestion not even a totally good idea myself, for reasons already discussed. It just feels like, well you know, one of these moments you bought something at the store, take it back home then find you can't really properly use it before you go out to buy this-and-that.

Maybe the suggestion of another player is better: turn these Cartel Market suits into a customization and equip chars with a customization slot.

Anyway, all of that said, I must say I sorta followed your advice and just made into a plan to use my main to provide for all of his crew members like he does for my lower level alts. It'll take some time to get there, but that's not really a problem: I waited 16 years for Lucas to pickup the Star Wars saga again, so I already learned patience is a virtue, even for a Sith

I barely craft, but I am aware from those who care deeply about it that just about anything that replaces you buying from another player would, at least in their eyes and I must agree, hurt crafters.
Like downloading music*, that is only true as long as the customer's wallet isn't empty. But overall I agree with what you say.

*(I still buy CDs that I really enjoy after having listened to them a couple of times, and without downloading I probably wouldn't have spend more money on music my knowledge of what's out there would be considerably smaller though. But of course it's true that most downloaders are freeloaders who will never buy anything.)

As for the economy, I honestly believe we need more money sinks. I know at lower levels you may seem credit-strapped, but once you are doing dailies (50-55) it rains credits. I'm not even talking about loot chest hunting, just running your dailies for Comms nets you 100k-300k per zone (depending on zone and random drops) quite easily. Anything that lessens the credit drain could only lead to more inflation on the GTN. Idk. Maybe I am over reacting, but in two years of this game I've seen the GTN prices creep upward, and that to me is a sign of needing more money sinks.
I only have one lvl 55 to do dailies with, and while indeed I can make a few 100k a day, I sofar haven't reached the point where I don't know what to do with my money.

I know you are aware of the cries of "pay to win" that could be leveled at your idea. And while I like that you want to "keep it below" that level, it's a hard level to gauge. Someone will always cry it no matter how little you get from your idea statwise. There used to be a few cartel market outfits sold with stats. They got pulled for just this reason, people cried pay to win. And I don't know how much lowering of stats it would take on your idea to negate that, likely it would be to the point that your idea is so stat weak as to be meaningless for what you want it for.
I think you might be right... That, btw, is why planet comms are kinda useless as the modifications I can buy for this are below my present range. Unless there must be a modification vendor somewhere else (than Imp Fleet, or in another section of Imp Fleet) than I know off?

YCompanions are a lot of fun, and they really help you bond with your character. I think most people would enjoy more with them story wise.
Yes, I like them very much!! They're really one of the strengths of this game.

Corrupted_Soul
12.30.2013 , 12:06 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Orlogg View Post
I think you might be right... That, btw, is why planet comms are kinda useless as the modifications I can buy for this are below my present range. Unless there must be a modification vendor somewhere else (than Imp Fleet, or in another section of Imp Fleet) than I know off?
Planetary Comms only get you as far as some lvl 50 blues for now. It's all classic/basic/etc/etc from there.

Unrelated: Check your forum mailbox.

ItachiZaku
12.30.2013 , 12:31 PM | #24
I'm ok with this idea. They would have to be green level mods though. that way they are able to function but not cakewalk.
"Be careful Preston. You're treading on my dreams. "

BeeblesTV
12.31.2013 , 02:10 AM | #25
They need to make the legacy armor sets like WoWs heirlooms IMO.

Tslok
01.01.2014 , 06:35 PM | #26
64 planetary Comms is 192 war zone Comms. That's aproximately 2 PvP matches. So 2 pvp match for each person you want fully modded at level. If PvP isn't your thing then do heroics. Heroics at level to hard? Go back to old worlds and do the heroics there solo. You will still get credits and Comms/vendor-able gear. Find the ones that just give Comms if you like.
Hello there,
That's WRONG, 64 planet comms would be 2560 WZ Comms

As for the op idea i'd pay for scaleable mods.why not?
Time IS Money. so if i play 2 weeks to get my ultimate comms or my gear or i pay for them it's the same thing.
I would pay and i will if that's gonna be an option.

Orlogg
01.02.2014 , 01:49 PM | #27
For clarity: my OP proposal was about one-time, non-reusable modifications in the slots, not for WoW-style heirloom stats that grow while you level up. Those imho would be devastating for crafters and for the in-game economy.

And I'm not even fully convinced my OP proposal was that good... Several people have raised legit or at least sympathetic objections. Yet, I maintain the position that it's odd to pay about 9,20 (or more, when you bought your CC in smaller quantities) for an armor set that you cannot use unless you go out to buy a bunch of modifications. That seems like pay-to-pay to me...

Corrupted_Soul
01.02.2014 , 08:22 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Tslok View Post
Hello there,
That's WRONG, 64 planet comms would be 2560 WZ Comms
You are quite right not sure why I thought Comms converted at 30 to 10. I'll edit my post to reflect your correction. However the points of my post stand. At 2560 WZ Comms is around 10+ warzones with variance given for daily/weekly awards and wins/losses. If PvP is your thing 10+ warzones a day is not asking much. The OP is not a PvP player anyway, so none of this solves his issue.

Time IS Money. so if i play 2 weeks to get my ultimate comms or my gear or i pay for them it's the same thing.
Some whys were given. I'm sure there are more.
Generally the vast vocal majority has made it clear that using real life wealth as a means of bypassing the grind is frowned at. Your axiom that "time is money" is hyperbole. You pay to play this game, the game doesn't pay you in money, so in this case your time is worth you giving them money? Anyway, when this game sold gear with stats for cc the forums howled until it was removed. The few suggestions that we return to that has never gained traction.

AlexDougherty
01.03.2014 , 04:49 AM | #29
OP's idea wasn't scalable mods, he knows EA will never go for scalable mods, what he was suggesting was that the game looks at the character buying, and fits in mods suitable to that character or maybe a bit lower (maxing out at the level of mods from the Corealian comms mods vendor I presume). Once fitted those mods are set at that level, and disappear if removed (which would get someone complaining I'm sure).

This would be a nice addition since you don't have to pay to strip out mods from existing gear and fit those, but wouldn't change the nature of the game much. Which is why I added my support. And remember those mods would effectively be incorporated into the Price (maybe they could do a modded and unmodded price).
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Tslok
01.03.2014 , 05:53 AM | #30
Hello again out there,
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
OP's idea wasn't scalable mods, he knows EA will never go for scalable mods, what he was suggesting was that the game looks at the character buying, and fits in mods suitable to that character or maybe a bit lower (maxing out at the level of mods from the Corealian comms mods vendor I presume). Once fitted those mods are set at that level, and disappear if removed (which would get someone complaining I'm sure).

This would be a nice addition since you don't have to pay to strip out mods from existing gear and fit those, but wouldn't change the nature of the game much. Which is why I added my support. And remember those mods would effectively be incorporated into the Price (maybe they could do a modded and unmodded price).
I must agree, but you see right now there are out there other mmo's that are offering you actually more for your money (real money) and there are also a lot more mmo's to come out this year. WoW want to offer chars upgrade to level 90 for money for example, not that i need that but to pay for gear that one can use directly now that's something i would pay for. Btw the idea to make "powerleveling services" obsolete by offering that ingame is not so bad at all- there would be no such services if there would be no demand...

anyway happy grinding