What about pre-equipping the Adaptive Armor scaled to level?

Orlogg

As it is now, it is not very convenient to buy any of the Adaptive Armor sets for a player of a higher level: the player first has to get Armorings, Mods, Enhancements, and Barrels for all the empty slots, and the higher one's level is, the harder this is (either through the GTN or by gathering Commendation currency).

So why not pre-equip them with modifications scaled to level? Of course under these conditions:

1. these modifications have to be bound (so, they will only appear after the player binds the armor to his char) and maybe also should vanish when taken out (so, not equipable into some other piece of gear).
  2. to prevent people just buying their way into good gear, the sets should not on par with the player's current stats.

That way the Cartel Store would sell a lot more adaptive gear. To me at least :) I would have liked to buy a few cool looking sets for my companions, but as it is, I need all my resources to fuly equip my Talos Drellik's Clandestine Agent outfit.

That's right BioWare: I'm handing you an idea to squeeze more money out of my pocket!

On second thought, it would be better to equip it slightly below a characters present level. And the higher the char is, the bigger the difference should be.

Again, these items modifications I propose should be bound, and be destroyed if taken out (so, not usuable in a slot in another piece of gear). Their only function should be to at least make the CS armor sets wearable. We would still need to buy better modifications as soon as we have the money (or create them if we happen to have that skill).

The CM would sell more adaptive gear if there were appearance tabs.

It is pretty cheap to obtain new mods for all your adaptive gear. Thanks to planetary comms I had a whole new set of mods every other level and it cost me zero credits.

I did not have to spend any credits until I hit around level 53, and even then I just purchased a lot of level 53 adaptive armors for 8k and took the mods out of those to fill my set.

I do not see a need for mods to come with new adaptive gear. You could too easily spam this, take out the mods and use Legacy bound gear to transfer the mods around.

Edited by illgot

I do not see a need for mods to come with new adaptive gear. You could too easily spam this, take out the mods and use Legacy bound gear to transfer the mods around.

That is why, as I mentioned (twice) that these built-in modifications should *NOT* be reusable. They should vanish if taken out. Their only purpose is to make the gear wearable until you get proper modifications.

Btw in my experience planet comms might allow you to upgrade your own armor and that of a companion, and sometimes you can get something extra for another one, but it's not enough to equip all of your companions every 2 or 3 levels. And at the level cap you won't even get planet comms but other currency of which you need much more per item. Not a convenient way to get wearing the new gear sets anywhere soon — which is what this thread is about — and a reason for me to not spend Cartel Coins on them as much as I like. So, BioWare gets less of my (and probably other people's) money than they might!

Btw I just saw your (at least, I think it was yours) thread about an appearance slot. Nice one! Actually it might be an alternative to my proposal.

So you're suggesting they sell gear so you don't have to upgrade your gear at all while you level?

No, I am not. They already sell gear, but as it is now you can still just use it after you equip it. Which is fine if you just bought something for one or maybe even two chars / companions, but not if you did it for seven or eight.

I'm suggesting they sell gear that would at least be wearable, but, as I explained, it should be sub par to the player's level.

Another idea to at least make the gear one buys at the CS, is that the player can sacrifice normal gear into one-time usable modifications that would exclusively fit into that newly purchased gear. That way their wouldn't be any bias towards buying players at all.

Maybe I should I also be mentioning that I'd like to keep multiple armor sets per character / companion, for reasons of, well, vanity :cool::)

I'm still not understanding, you're being pretty vague with your suggestion.

1. It isn't hard to get modifications for your adaptive armor.

2. You can already get multiple sets of adaptive gear through the collections menu.

I'm still not understanding, you're being pretty vague with your suggestion.

1. It isn't hard to get modifications for your adaptive armor.

2. You can already get multiple sets of adaptive gear through the collections menu.

I know you can get multiple sets of armor, and these are not the issue here. The multiple sets of item modifications you'd be needing - that's the issue!

In my opnion it *is* hard to get modifications for your adaptive armor if you wanna equip several (say) three of your companions. Even for one character I find that doing quests only make this possible every once in a few levels.

Let's say, per character you have about 5 Armorings and 1 Barrel slot (about 7 Planet Comms each), 6 Mod and 5 Enhancement shots (2 PC each). That means you'd need around 64 Planet comms to properly equip one character, and the same amount for each companion you want to dress up.

If you've hit the level cap, you won't be getting Planet Comms, and you'll be needing other item modifications anyway, that you can buy with the other currrency, of which you even get less as measured to what you'd need!

Am I such a bad player that I find that rather much?? If so, please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Unless you need to be playing 14 hours a day, seven days a week... BTW Maybe Heroics reward a multitude of PCs? I almost never do these...

Edited by Orlogg

I know you can get multiple sets of armor, and these are not the issue here. The multiple sets of item modifications you'd be needing - that's the issue!

In my opnion it *is* hard to get modifications for your adaptive armor if you wanna equip several (say) three of your companions. Even for one character I find that doing quests only make this possible every once in a few levels

The Armour mods and barrels are on sale on each planet from the modifications vendor (as oppossed to the commendations Modifications vendor).

But the Mods and enhancements can be difficult to get hold of, unless you have appropriate crewskills (mods are cyberware and artifice does enhancements), and cost an arm and a leg to buy off the GTN.

So I do see were you are coming from, it's not a bad idea, especially as comps have a variety of different stats (unless you are a trooper).

Btw this is not about getting it easy or getting a free ride. but about being able to instantly use a product bought for approximately € 9,20.

This makes total sense. I want to be able to actually use the adaptive armors I bought for my lvl 5 toons. Before you hit 30, it's a bit harder to get comms, as you have fewer Heroics and FPs you can do then, say, a lvl 41, who can easily run all the heroics from their starter planet all the up to Imp Taris/Pub Balmorra, while they're on Quesh or Voss (whichever one is that level, I forget, honestly.)

@ Xakthul: Thanks! Btw for the lower levels, the chest items that come with stats (for each type of class there is a pick) re adequate imho. I personally find the higher levels more of a burden to get the stuff for, also because I simplt can't find the time to invest to harvest them all through in-game effort (so, I'd be willing to use real money earned thru my real-life job, and be willing to except that it wouldn't be the best out there).

@ AlexDougherty: Also thanks! And btw, I like the thought (and effort to express this though) you tend to put in your posts! Even where we do not fully agree :) (The "Defector" thread in the other subforum).

@ Pingonaut: I am sorry I haven't been able to properly explain it tou you. I'm pretty much a layman myself, and I'm not aware of using any 'terms'... Trying to put it simply: I want the Armor Sets (complete suits) that you can buy at the Cartel Market store (for Cartel Coins, in other words real money, although subscribers get a monthly quantity of those) to come not with empty item modification slots, but with modifications. To prevent abuse, I suggest these modifications

are not the hihest available for the players level (adequate, but not superb)

1. can only be used in that particular piece of armor, and not taken out and reused in another piece of armor. The piece of armor itself can be upgraded with other item modifications, in which case the item modifications that were in them at the time of purchase, vanish.

I disagree Planetary Commendations are easily earned in quantities to properly equip your character AND his companions.

On second thought, it would be better to equip it slightly below a characters present level. And the higher the char is, the bigger the difference should be.

Again, these items modifications I propose should be bound, and be destroyed if taken out (so, not usuable in a slot in another piece of gear). Their only function should be to at least make the CS armor sets wearable. We would still need to buy better modifications as soon as we have the money (or create them if we happen to have that skill).

Maybe it would stop increasing at Rakata Level(Rating 140)?

Lol, I never ever saw equipment / modifications of that level. But yes, they should definitely stop increasing before that level :)

I didn't think you meant scaling mods. I liked the idea of it coming with mods for whatever level you bought it at, though.

I can understand you wanting more utility out of your addaptive gear. And your idea is very close to ones suggested before. I can't say I think it is a good idea though. Semi-addaptive mods would hurt the credit sink of lower end mods, hurt the crafters of lower end mods. For these two reasons alone I can't agree with this idea. But I'll throw in my 2 cents for what it is worth at this point.

In my opnion it *is* hard to get modifications for your adaptive armor if you wanna equip several (say) three of your companions..

And with this you are right, if you are trying to keep multiple companions at your level in mods. The problem here is that very very few (I only know of you) who try to do this while leveling. The game doesn't support this kind of behavior so of course it is hard. Now because it is hard should the devs make a fix for the few people this effects? I personally would rather see their time spent else where.

Let's say, per character you have about 5 Armorings and 1 Barrel slot (about 7 Planet Comms each), 6 Mod and 5 Enhancement shots (2 PC each). That means you'd need around 64 Planet comms to properly equip one character, and the same amount for each companion you want to dress up..

64 planetary Comms is 192 war zone Comms [EDIT: this is in error, 40wz coms per planetary yields 2560 WZ Comms needed]. That's aproximately 2 PvP matches [EDIT: 10+ matches or so]. So 2 pvp match[s EDIT: again 10+] for each person you want fully modded at level. If PvP isn't your thing then do heroics. Heroics at level to hard? Go back to old worlds and do the heroics there solo. You will still get credits and Comms/vendor-able gear. Find the ones that just give Comms if you like.

If you've hit the level cap, you won't be getting Planet Comms, and you'll be needing other item modifications anyway, that you can buy with the other currrency, of which you even get less as measured to what you'd need!.

If you hit the level cap missions that give Comms still give Comms, and mobs that drop Comms still give Comms. I have no idea why you would think otherwise. The high the level the less useful even a well geared companion becomes. Boss fights introduce more "unique" mechanics that comps can't deal with (some use of passive and active can be used to maneuver a comp) but still comps are not ideal for endgame.

Edited by Corrupted_Soul

@ Corrupted_Soul: Excellent reply!! Thanx for the feedback, and for the advice :)

I'm aware of the objections you mention, and I overall agree to them. Yet it seems a bit weird that the Cartel Market store sells stuff (for real money — which cartel coins come down too) that you cannot practically use until equipped with modifications.

I also wondered if it would be an idea to turn present-worn gear into one-time-usable modifications, in a way that the stats of your Companions presently worn gear would be transferred to the armor you bought at the Cartel Market store... Would that hurt crafters and/or the economy?

I also realize that keeping up all companions wasn't intended — which I find a bit pity to be honest. The importance of the companions set this game apart from comparable games like WoW (where some classes have companions but you don't have to gear them, and those are more like pets and less like sidekicks) and I truly enjoy the conversations with 'people' like Talos, Khem Val, Dr. Lokin, Vector and others, and I reckon these characters highlights in [my perception of] the SW universe. That's why I wanna equip them, because otherwise they feel like they're in remission or so... and I think that companions you don't play with that much, also don't render much conversations. So, you only get to know them if you summon them often — which you can only do with well-equipped companions.

Edited by Orlogg
typo

I didn't think you meant scaling mods. I liked the idea of it coming with mods for whatever level you bought it at, though.

I didn't mean scaling mods. You were right I meant they'd come with mods at your level (or slightly below, to avoid a pay-to-win mechanism).

@ Corrupted_Soul: Excellent reply!! Thanx for the feedback, and for the advice :)

I also wondered if it would be an idea to turn present-worn gear into one-time-usable modifications, in a way that the stats of your Companions presently worn gear would be transferred to the armor you bought at the Cartel Market store... Would that hurt crafters and/or the economy?

You're most welcome. Believe me when I say that I thought there was a high chance that you would take offense, call me a troll because I disagreed, and start flaming me. You are unusual to these forums. Glad to find someone who can take constructive criticism.

I barely craft, but I am aware from those who care deeply about it that just about anything that replaces you buying from another player would, at least in their eyes and I must agree, hurt crafters. As for the economy, I honestly believe we need more money sinks. I know at lower levels you may seem credit-strapped, but once you are doing dailies (50-55) it rains credits. I'm not even talking about loot chest hunting, just running your dailies for Comms nets you 100k-300k per zone (depending on zone and random drops) quite easily. Anything that lessens the credit drain could only lead to more inflation on the GTN. Idk. Maybe I am over reacting, but in two years of this game I've seen the GTN prices creep upward, and that to me is a sign of needing more money sinks.

I know you are aware of the cries of "pay to win" that could be leveled at your idea. And while I like that you want to "keep it below" that level, it's a hard level to gauge. Someone will always cry it no matter how little you get from your idea statwise. There used to be a few cartel market outfits sold with stats. They got pulled for just this reason, people cried pay to win. And I don't know how much lowering of stats it would take on your idea to negate that, likely it would be to the point that your idea is so stat weak as to be meaningless for what you want it for.

Companions are a lot of fun, and they really help you bond with your character. I think most people would enjoy more with them story wise.

Edited by Corrupted_Soul

You're most welcome. Believe me when I say that I thought there was a high chance that you would take offense, call me a troll because I disagreed, and start flaming me. You are unusual to these forums. Glad to find someone who can take constructive criticism.

Thanx for the compliment :) I too noticed that there is indeed a fairly high incidence of flaming people down on these forums, but there are also people (you and me apparently, but also some other folks I 'met' in threads, but I'm not here long enough to remember usernames) who can take a nuanced position towards things.

As for me not taking offense, it also helps that I found my OP suggestion not even a totally good idea myself, for reasons already discussed. It just feels like, well you know, one of these moments you bought something at the store, take it back home then find you can't really properly use it before you go out to buy this-and-that.

Maybe the suggestion of another player is better: turn these Cartel Market suits into a customization and equip chars with a customization slot.

Anyway, all of that said, I must say I sorta followed your advice and just made into a plan to use my main to provide for all of his crew members like he does for my lower level alts. It'll take some time to get there, but that's not really a problem: I waited 16 years for Lucas to pickup the Star Wars saga again, so I already learned patience is a virtue, even for a Sith :)

I barely craft, but I am aware from those who care deeply about it that just about anything that replaces you buying from another player would, at least in their eyes and I must agree, hurt crafters.

Like downloading music*, that is only true as long as the customer's wallet isn't empty. But overall I agree with what you say.

*(I still buy CDs that I really enjoy after having listened to them a couple of times, and without downloading I probably wouldn't have spend more money on music — my knowledge of what's out there would be considerably smaller though. But of course it's true that most downloaders are freeloaders who will never buy anything.)

As for the economy, I honestly believe we need more money sinks. I know at lower levels you may seem credit-strapped, but once you are doing dailies (50-55) it rains credits. I'm not even talking about loot chest hunting, just running your dailies for Comms nets you 100k-300k per zone (depending on zone and random drops) quite easily. Anything that lessens the credit drain could only lead to more inflation on the GTN. Idk. Maybe I am over reacting, but in two years of this game I've seen the GTN prices creep upward, and that to me is a sign of needing more money sinks.

I only have one lvl 55 to do dailies with, and while indeed I can make a few 100k a day, I sofar haven't reached the point where I don't know what to do with my money.

I know you are aware of the cries of "pay to win" that could be leveled at your idea. And while I like that you want to "keep it below" that level, it's a hard level to gauge. Someone will always cry it no matter how little you get from your idea statwise. There used to be a few cartel market outfits sold with stats. They got pulled for just this reason, people cried pay to win. And I don't know how much lowering of stats it would take on your idea to negate that, likely it would be to the point that your idea is so stat weak as to be meaningless for what you want it for.

I think you might be right... That, btw, is why planet comms are kinda useless as the modifications I can buy for this are below my present range. Unless there must be a modification vendor somewhere else (than Imp Fleet, or in another section of Imp Fleet) than I know off?

YCompanions are a lot of fun, and they really help you bond with your character. I think most people would enjoy more with them story wise.

Yes, I like them very much!! They're really one of the strengths of this game.

I think you might be right... That, btw, is why planet comms are kinda useless as the modifications I can buy for this are below my present range. Unless there must be a modification vendor somewhere else (than Imp Fleet, or in another section of Imp Fleet) than I know off?

Planetary Comms only get you as far as some lvl 50 blues for now. It's all classic/basic/etc/etc from there.

Unrelated: Check your forum mailbox.