Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Just buff the strike fighter.

-Shadowfist-
12.21.2013 , 11:27 AM | #1
Just throwing my two cents in here.

While I agree with a lot of people saying that certain things about scouts/gunships could be toned down a little bit, I feel that the real issue is simply that the strike fighter needs a little bump.

I mastered my strike fighter as my first ship earlier on this month and enjoyed it/did well competitively with it, but after having maxed a sting out it's painfully obvious which one is the superior dog fighter.

Realistically, slightly reduced lock on times for missiles with strike fighters (maybe like a -10% or -20% lock on time) would bring them back in line. Their missiles are one of the few things that really set them apart and they hit fairly hard as is. Allowing strike fighters to lock on slightly faster to scouts before they leave the targeting reticle or gunships before they charge/fire their rail would probably be enough to tip the balance back.

I know people get awfully heated over all of this but I was thinking about it today and just sort of realized that this seems (to me) to be an easy and viable solution.

-Shadow
There is no peace, there is anger
There is no fear, there is power
There is no death, there is immortality
There is no weakness, there is the Dark Side.

BuckeyeChris
12.21.2013 , 12:21 PM | #2
I still think it's too early for people to be acting like they know all the ins and outs of GS, and so aren't qualified to be suggesting buffs/nerfs. Seriously, people think they're experts in a couple weeks, playing against mostly complete noobs?

Svarthrafn
12.21.2013 , 12:32 PM | #3
On the plus side, throwing around buffs generates fewer moans than hitting things with nerfs.

Personally I think things are fine.

RebekahWSD
12.21.2013 , 12:43 PM | #4
Given the strike fighter's stated role a a multitasker I'm hoping that it will shine more in other game modes which we haven't seen yet. I can imagine that it will be the ship of choice for attack runs on heavily defended, relatively stationary capitol ship targets.

silvershadows
12.21.2013 , 01:11 PM | #5
I seem to do fine in my Pike.

I don't play for huge numbers, I play for objectives - and my job in Domination is to soak up damage with my insane shield regen while taking shots at people attacking my teammates so that they can cap the satellite. Alternatively, I deny cap to the enemy team because it can take forever to take me down.

We really need to be waiting for other game modes in which the strike fighter might shine before we buff/nerf things - early access still!
IllusiaApocalypsaAvatia
JuggernautMercenaryAssassin
Project Mayhem
The Ebon Hawk

CKHelseth
12.21.2013 , 02:29 PM | #6
I am noticing as player ships get maxed that it is harder to take out the scouts and gunships and easier for them to take me out. I think that changing the last missile upgrade to a lessened lock on time or faster reload would help. I don't agree with changing the scout or gunship. I think that a gunship maxed should take me out if they see me coming and in a dog fight with a scout I should be at a disadvantage, but the strike fighters edge at medium range just isn't there with maxed out ships.
Guild Leader - Solatium (Imp)/Pandalorians(Pub)
Maren - Sniper Krysar - Juggernaut Catface - Starfighter

Lymain
12.21.2013 , 02:49 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by BuckeyeChris View Post
I still think it's too early for people to be acting like they know all the ins and outs of GS, and so aren't qualified to be suggesting buffs/nerfs. Seriously, people think they're experts in a couple weeks, playing against mostly complete noobs?
It's not that really, but discussing buffs/nerfs can be productive. Look at how the gunship issues thread has gotten a lot more people trying those (possibly) overpowered tactics, which will shine a brighter light on them, so that they can be adjusted more quickly (if it turns out that they need to be).

Also, I will be pleasantly surprised if we aren't "playing against mostly complete noobs" for however long we play this game mode. Look at the quality of play in Huttball - it's not really much (if any) higher than it was back in beta.

And I hope the developers plan to balance the ships for each game mode rather than letting scouts dominate one mode, strike fighters dominate another, ect...it will be boring if everyone ends up flying the same ships on a given map.
Xeric - Juggernaut - The Ebon Hawk

archifikoss
12.21.2013 , 04:09 PM | #8
I feel like the strikers have gotten the short end of the stick, at least for solo queues... Granted there are some pilots that do great in them, but I feel that they could use some love. The reduced lock-on time idea seems sound to me. Hopefully they will shine in other game modes at least.

I want to fly my strikers more but they feel so sluggish after my scouts... I wish there was something more distinctive about them somehow. Maybe if type A's had an "alpha strike" special that enabled them to fire both weapons simultaneously (massive damage but also massive energy cost), and the type B's had the faster lock-on time? Dunno...

That been said, I still see most people flying strikers rather than scouts at least on my server... Maybe the scouts feel too fast or erratic for their playstyles

renegadeimp
12.21.2013 , 05:13 PM | #9
Strike fighters dont need any buffs at all. With a good pilot behind the helm, they are very VERY deadly.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

Soul_of_Flames
12.21.2013 , 06:01 PM | #10
I agree with the op. I play mainly scouts and I always see strike fighters as easy targets compared to other scouts. Even gunships are easy pickings if they aren't backed up by a second gunship.