Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Internet Disconnecting when I play (Error code 9000)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Internet Disconnecting when I play (Error code 9000)

J-Hunter
12.20.2013 , 02:28 AM | #1
I am having an issue when I join swtor. When I join a game I only stay in the game for a short amount of time before I get kicked due to a bad internet connection. But wait! here is the thing, I do not have a bad internet connection and I am the only one out of three people who play swtor that has these connection issues when I join.

To add to my trouble the reason I get disconnected is when I join my modem seems to freak out and disconnects from the internet (sort of like restarting the modem), disconnecting everyone in my house from the internet until it restarts.

The other two people in my house play the game just fine until I join, this error only happens when I join the game. They also don't have to be playing for it to happen, I have tried to play without them on the internet and I get the same issue with me joining and getting kicked due to connection errors (due to my modem restarting.) This only happens to me and I have no clue why, I have been able to play swtor in the past on this computer and this modem, but after a few months of not playing I am now having issues.

If you need any more information please let me know.

Laurreth
12.20.2013 , 02:52 AM | #2
It's possible that the client started using QoS mechanisms while you weren't playing, to which some broken consumer devices react highly allergic and show the symptoms you're describing.

Are we talking about a "stupid" modem that's just that, something with an admin interface, maybe even something with filtering capabilities, a full-blown router, …? Did you install a firmware update recently, or did your provider do that? Is there a firmware update available? (If the device is controlled by your ISP, ask them for any of those.)
Rüstige Rentner auf Jar'Kai Sword — schau einfach mal rein ☺
“I like how the whining about "censored" butts started instantly but it took 2 days for someone to notice the legs are also ****ed up” — rantboi

J-Hunter
12.20.2013 , 03:40 AM | #3
I personally haven't done any firmware updates and I don't think my ISP updates them. My modem is a tg782t it has an admin interface. Though I am not 100% it is the modem causing the issues even though it is restarting when join a swtor game. As this issue only effects me and not the other two in my house when they play, I would think if it was a modem issue that they to would have this issue though I could be wrong.

My time in swtor seems to vary from time to time and I get kicked quicker if I do something in game such as fighting or even walking.

Laurreth
12.20.2013 , 05:29 AM | #4
I've been doing some "support" for Mumble, and we've seen issues with another Thomson (Technicolor ) device that would choke and die with similar symptoms when the VoIP client was using QoS.

I don't think there was a solution other than disabling QoS in the Mumble client, but if it's an ISP-supplied device (which I assume because it doesn't look like those devices are sold directly), you may want to call your ISP support and see if you can get a firmware update or a different device. Essentially, a modem or router should never ever do what you're describing under normal circumstances, and if it does it's broken.

As a workaround or at least to check if this is the right direction, it may be possible to disable the QoS facility in Windows somewhere in the more esoteric network settings, but I have never done that and so I can give neither guidance nor guarantees.
“I like how the whining about "censored" butts started instantly but it took 2 days for someone to notice the legs are also ****ed up” — rantboi

J-Hunter
12.23.2013 , 02:46 AM | #5
After some investigation and playing around I found out how to disable the QoS on Windows 7 Home Premuim. Though it hasn't changed anything on my end the game still causes my modem to loose internet.

I contact my ISP tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for your help.

OwenBrooks
12.23.2013 , 02:57 AM | #6
Ensure flood detection isn't enabled in the modem, this will be one possibility and will cause net traffic to stop, otherwise a small NAT table can reboot/lockup a modem when it reaches its table limit but this is normally seen when torrenting

OwenBrooks
12.23.2013 , 03:07 AM | #7
There is another possibility in for some reason the modem cant handle the packets, whether that is due to resends with some sort of adapter driver or wireless interference flooding with resends.

If you use www.wtfast.com with the free 30 day trial on your system see if it still occurs, this will encapsulate the packets

J-Hunter
12.23.2013 , 04:50 AM | #8
I had browser through my modems setting and was unable to find anything that would fit the description of flood detection.

I gave WTFast a go, at first it seemed to work fine but that may just have a coincidence seeing as I still only get maybe 1-2 minutes of walking around game play before my connection goes red and I get disconnected. I watched over my modem when I got a red connection status in game and from what I saw the power and wireless lights stay green (on) but the DSL and Internet lights just turn off.

I just find it really odd that I am the only one having these issues in my household, no one else who plays this game gets disconnected like me.

Laurreth
12.23.2013 , 04:55 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by J-Hunter View Post
I just find it really odd that I am the only one having these issues in my household, no one else who plays this game gets disconnected like me.
Are they connected differently (wired vs. WLAN), using different OS versions, …?

OwenBrooks
12.23.2013 , 05:06 AM | #10
What is the modem log reporting when this occurs ?