Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people join Dark Side?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why do people join Dark Side?

Beniboybling
12.20.2013 , 04:03 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Fixed.
Nonsense, Qui-Gon Jinn was branded a 'gray Jedi' and refused a place on the Council for this very reason. Yet he was one of the few who might have actually seen the Chancellor and the Clone Wars for what they were.

I'm afraid the Jedi problem is very much pervading. Fools.

Aurbere
12.20.2013 , 04:06 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Nonsense, Qui-Gon Jinn was branded a 'gray Jedi' and refused a place on the Council for this very reason. Yet he was one of the few who might have actually seen the Chancellor and the Clone Wars for what they were.

I'm afraid the Jedi problem is very much pervading. Fools.
Arrogance is far more prevalent in the Old Republic Jedi Council, which was my point. That and the fact that the specified quote was about the Old Republic Jedi.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

captaincr
12.20.2013 , 05:46 PM | #53
From the novel Revenge of the Sith

NAKIN What if I really wanted the Corellian system? The whole Five Brothers – all of it?

PALPATINE Then it would be yours. You can have the whole sector, if you like. Do you understand, now? I will give you anything you want.

ANAKIN What if I wanted – what if I went along with Padme and her friends? What if I want the war to end?

PALPATINE Would tomorrow be too soon?

ANAKIN How – how can you do that?

PALPATINE Right now, we are only discussing what. How is a different issue; we’ll come to that presently.

ANAKIN And in exchange? What do I have to do?

PALPATINE You have to do what you want.

ANAKIN What I want?

PALPATINE Yes, Anakin. Yes. Exactly that. Only that. Do the one thing that the Jedi fear most: make up you own mind. Follow your own conscience. Do what you think is right. I know that you have been lomging for a life greater than that of an ordinary Jedi. Commit to that life. I know you you burn for greater power that any Jedi can wield; give yourself permission to gain that power, and allow yourself license to use it. You have dreamed of leaving the Jedi Order, having a family of your own – one that is based on love, not on inforced rules of self-denial.

ANAKIN I – can’t...I can’t just...leave...

PALPATINE But you can.

Novel page 281

You can have every one of your dreams. Turn aside from the lies of the Jedi, and follow the truth of yourself. Leave them. Jion me on the path of true power. Be my friend, Anakin. Be my student. My apprentice.

light_senshi
12.20.2013 , 05:47 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Since Light and Dark is equal in terms of power, and if the main reason people join Dark Side is to be more powerful, then there's no point to joining Dark Side.

Lore error?
Because the Dark Side has COOKIES!!! (And cake!)

Beniboybling
12.20.2013 , 06:15 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by captaincr View Post

NAKIN What if I really wanted the Corellian system? The whole Five Brothers – all of it?

PALPATINE Then it would be yours. You can have the whole sector, if you like. Do you understand, now? I will give you anything you want.

ANAKIN What if I wanted – what if I went along with Padme and her friends? What if I want the war to end?

PALPATINE Right now, we are only discussing what. How is a different issue; we’ll come to that presently.

ANAKIN What I want?

PALPATINE Yes, Anakin. Yes. Exactly that. Only that. Do the one thing that the Jedi fear most: make up you own mind. Follow your own conscience. Do what you think is right. I know that you have been lomging for a life greater than that of an ordinary Jedi. Commit to that life. I know you you burn for greater power that any Jedi can wield; give yourself permission to gain that power, and allow yourself license to use it. You have dreamed of leaving the Jedi Order, having a family of your own – one that is based on love, not on inforced rules of self-denial.

PALPATINE But you can.

Novel page 281

You can have every one of your dreams. Turn aside from the lies of the Jedi, and follow the truth of yourself. Leave them. Jion me on the path of true power. Be my friend, Anakin. Be my student. My apprentice.
Curious is that before Anakin turned to the dark side or after? And before or after he stormed the Jedi Temple?

Nonetheless, an excellent response, I totally concur with this. People have to remember that choosing between light and dark isn't just about power - which the Jedi have little interest in - its about philosophy and ideology.

Beslley
12.20.2013 , 06:22 PM | #56
It's because I'm chaotic evil IRL.

<Death and Taxes>
Prophecy of the Five

Beslley - dps sorc | Arenatah - snoipah | Nef'arian - dps op | Alexstraza - slinger
KHEM VAL IS MY COPILOT

Path-x
12.20.2013 , 07:57 PM | #57
But the dark side is not more powerful so it is kinda pointless...
Well looking at the films, I can easily conclude that the dark side is more powerful. Pretty much the only demonstration of light side power is when Anakin overcomes Vader and throws Sisidous into the reactor core. All other time, either the Sith won or Jedi (Luke, Anakin) defeated Sith (Vader, Dooku) by actually using the dark side.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

JediRickwood
12.20.2013 , 11:53 PM | #58
*sigh*

Callaron
12.21.2013 , 12:05 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by captaincr View Post

ANAKIN What I want?

PALPATINE But you can.

Novel page 281

And that is why the darkside is so dangerous, and manages to corrupt so many Jedi.

Quote: Originally Posted by Path-x View Post
Well looking at the films, I can easily conclude that the dark side is more powerful. Pretty much the only demonstration of light side power is when Anakin overcomes Vader and throws Sisidous into the reactor core. All other time, either the Sith won or Jedi (Luke, Anakin) defeated Sith (Vader, Dooku) by actually using the dark side.
That's hardly an example of Light Side power.
He blindsides Sidious while he's busy gloating and torturing Luke.
The Darkside generally is more powerful in pretty much every Lucas Arts produced canon out there, it doesn't matter what some other authors do in their novels, the official sources are what matter.

Even Ventress generally held her own in 2v1's against Obi-friggin'-Wan Kenobi, who had at least a decade of experience over her in using the Force, and against Anakin, the Chosen One who was ridiculously powerful in the Force.
In game it's also been hinted at that if the Sith weren't so prone to in-fighting and constant power struggles among their own ranks, the Republic would probably have been in serious trouble.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.

Helig
12.21.2013 , 01:34 AM | #60
But the dark side is not more powerful so it is kinda pointless...
You underestimate human weakness. Between working/studying hard and taking shortcuts towards the same results, I guarantee that more than half of the population will choose the latter.

Also, there's always the mentally sick, the "misunderstood", the misanthropic, which have little interest in having the ideals of "good" shoved down their throats.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie